Story Contest

Fladian

It's been a while since I quoted him, but I still love them. :p

Right now, about to drop out, I have a few mixed feelings. I don't like writing on command, and it starts to look that I even can't do such a thing. In most things, I work better under pressure. I tend to create those pressure by making a deadline... but I got a feeling that it isn't going to work on this story.

I could finish (the first chapter of) this story in a few hours of time, probably. But I won't. The normal way to write is to write the story first and then add necessary details if you missed some. That's how I tend to write anyway. I'm adding another step to it, in this case. I'm writing a sentence, check it and add details and then continue again. Then the progress starts all over again. Though it takes ages, the quality is clearly different.
But the fact is: If I feel like working on it, doesn't really matter. If I don't have the right idea, I won't continue. I want a mind blowing idea, as a matter of saying, before I continue. Otherwise, I'll just keep it that way until such an idea pops up. Even if that means the story isn't touched for a week.

Oh, and I tend to write when I'm online on MSN anyway. It's not a habit or anything, but I usually have MSN on when I'm home. It's not like I can't write and chat at the same time.

Werbung:

Fladian

I completed another sentence. I'm just a little annoyed by a few words that come back a bit too often. Therefore, I'm going a bit back in the story to change some words, to stop an overdosis of them.

But there is finally some progress.

EDIT: I've said earlier in this thread that I wanted to consider heavily if I still wanted to be part of this Contest and as a member of the forum for that matter. Or at least, temporarily. I wanted to decide about it during this week, my week off; so I did.

I want to take some time off from the forum because my second exam (and last one, for the next (at least) four years if I pass it) is coming up, and for once, I want to focus completely on it. Now you may ask, it is understandable to consider my activity on the forum, but what does the Story Contest has to do with it; well, you see, the day after the Story Contest, my exam starts. I'm planning of pulling a few all-nighters before that, even if that means acting like a zombie during the exam. As long as I'll make it. Therefore, I wanted to consider those two things.

Finally I have an answer. I won't retreat from the contest. But I'll change my own dead-line. My dead line is now on the 15 of May. In about a week, in other words. After that, I'll start to study intensively.
As people may have noticed over the last few days (excluding the 29 of April, when I was in Amsterdam) my activity dropped somewhat. It will probably drop dramaticly on the 15 of May as well.
Do know that if I don't have anything finished on the 15 of April, nothing will be come from me. Or at least, it is very unlikely. Or I have to have the story nearly finished that I extend my deadline a little bit (I can extend it to the 17 of May), but that isn't very likely either.

Back to the story. It has made progress... not too much, but it has. I can make a lot of progress now in a short amount of time because at the point where I am now. I'm a little hesitating about the personality of a few characters, but I'm sure I'll find an answer about that after a good night sleep. But besides that, I'm still on half a page. :p

Undead_Lives

On the topic of concerns over the high value of "My Thoughts" in the rating system.
(thanks Flad for mentioning it to me, sorry I didn't reply earlier)
Here's what it is. My Thoughts is NOT based on preference. For example, I personally dislike horror stories. However. If you write a horror story you will not be deducted marks based on preference (in this case, my preference). Second, My Thoughts will NOT be based (completely) on how the judge liked the story. It may be part, but not all.
Finally, My Thoughts is more arranged to have a summary of all of the points, with a little based on how enjoyable the story was.
If you have any other concerns, please PM me and I will do my best to answer any questions and/or resolve any problems.

Fladian

I have my remakes of my exams coming up too (as I said in my earlier post) therefore I switched the deadline for myself. Perhaps an idea to do for others as well? :p Or should I just say: Hurry up then. :p

Undead_Lives

If enough members need an extension I will consider it.
So far Escurial is one, possibly Flad. I think if at least half the participants are in need of an extension, then I will do so.

Fladian

*scratches the back of his head*
How in the world can I extend the dates on the calendar. :p

I'm worrying my ass off about the remakes of my exams, seeing the fact that I want to graduate more than just about anything else. Pretty funny I say that now though, considering that I can name quite a lot of stuff I like more than that right now.

Fladian

I understand what you meant with it, but I am the person who has to change the calendar. As you know, I've placed it there as an event, and I'm not sure how to edit it.
After all, until a few weeks ago, I didn't even know we have a calendar.

Fladian

Go to navigation which can be found somewhere near the left upper corner, and click on the 'calendar' there. I'm not sure if members and moderators are able to change anything about it. I only know that I meddled a bit with it during Easter, the Story Contest event and a little reminder for myself. I also use the calendar to see who is having his birthday on that day, if it's not today. James was a good example of that; I congratulated him a day early because I wasn't home the day he had his birthday.

Rest assured though. I can change the dates with the 'edit' button.

Oh, as for progress of my story. Fortunately, I'm finally making some progress. I can fill out a complete conversation now, though I'm a little hesitating about the subject they are talking about. I'll probably change that some time soon, but it won't affect the surroundings. Only the words they'll say.
I recently experienced something... bad. Bad as in... something that made me feel disgusted with myself. It made me completely furious from the inside... until I spoke with the person who was the reason for it. Thanks to her, I'm back to normal again. Now that I learned... how something like that feels... like Balarkin told me earlier, it can only help me further with my story. I hate that only that is the positive part of it though.

Fladian

True, but that does not mean that I want to experience such things. If I can avoid it, or take care of it, I will not hesitate for a second.

Werbung: