Story Contest

Undead_Lives

There is an official Story Contest happening at the Anvil!
Anybody can join, as long as it is a story not posted in this forum before. One story per member only please.
The contest is on! It ends May 31.
The rating system is as follows:

<div align="center">1. Grammar/Spelling /15
2. Originality/Creativity /15
3. Descriptions /15
4. Flow/Storytelling /20
5. Character Development /15
6. My Thoughts. /20
Total /100</div>
The judges are the following people:
Undead_Lives, moderator of the Stories Galore forum.
Fladian, global moderator of the Wc3Anvil forum.
Undead_Lives will be participating in the contest, but his story will only be judged by Fladian.
Do know that both judges have a different opinion of each other and one might find some things better than the other. Do not just try to please one of us. Bribing one of us is forbidden. :p

<div align="center">Rules:</div>
-Anybody can join, as long as it is a story not posted in this forum before. One story per member only please.
-There is no REAL max length, however TRY to keep it under 10,000 words, which is the limit for most short stories.
-You ARE allowed to have a person offer you feedback, although I am discouraging giving it to a teacher to read, and also you cannot ask this person for ideas, only feedback. All ideas should be your own.
-There is no theme to follow, you can do whatever you want in your story (as long as it still goes by the rules).
-Keep your content at PG13. That means no racist comments, no excessive language, and DEFINITELY no po.rn.
About the last rule:
What if the storyline takes place during times where racism was as common as milk?[/b]
Only if at the beginning/end you mention that all racist comments are not intended to be offensive.
Mostly I don't want offensive stuff.[/b]

<div align="center">Prizes:</div>
1. A special symbol (a replacement icon, or a bar that goes with "Member or "Moderator" that says "Story Contest Winner")
2. A special avatar (asking a favor of SkriK :p)
3. A special mention in the News.
<strike>4. Reputation.</strike>

<div align="center">Current Participants</div></span><div align="center">(click the name to be directed to their profile)</div>

<div align="center">
av-189.jpg

Undead_Lives</div>
Previous stories done by Undead_Lives can be found here:
Orcs are coming; the story \'Orcs are coming\' is about a young soldier that finds his way in the army and on the battlefield with several hostile orcs. An interesting story to read, but not easily readable in a busy mood. Best read when you have some free time and feel like reading something.
Ramblings of an old man; An interesting look at life and common questions that people ask them selves often but do not receive an answer of. Best read when you are in a normal mood and are interested in doing some thinking about something. Done excellent and definitely worthy of a look.

You can find Undead_Lives\' finished story here

<div align="center">
button.gif

Hunter_Destruction</div>
A previous story done by Hunter_Destruction can be found here:
Untitled; A short story about the daily life of a person that doesn\'t like his life as much as some people want him to. If you don\'t mind reading something depressing it is highly suggested that you click the link and read through it. Despite a few grammar mistakes here and there, the story is interesting to read for those who like the genre. Best read when in either a depressing mood already (or perhaps not) or when in a very positive mood you would like to get rid off.

You can find Hunter_Destruction\'s story here

<div align="center">
av-84.jpg

SKriK</div>
No work posted on the Anvil forum before.

It\'s a teenage lovestory about a guy named Andrew Mits; 16 years old and lives with his dad and two sisters.
His maingoal in life is to become a movie director. The story begins two days after the summer semester begun. It\'s titles "An Autumn Crush" at least for now.

<div align="center">
av-797.gif

Balarkin</div>

You can find Balarkin\'s finished story here

<div align="center">
av-2.jpg

Kem Rixen</div>
Previous stories done by Kem Rixen can be found here:
The less-than-ordinary life of Kem Rixen; A story about a day of the life of a character. Quick to read and quick to forget because of its length, but nice if you like to read about how someone lives their life. Best read in a normal mood and not too busy to read something. Perhaps while eating lunch or dinner. Easy story to read with nothing in particular in the high lights.
Old Stories; Old stories of Kem but still nice to read. Stories are often about a fantasy race or humans, but writing ants is a new one. A good story to read whenever you feel up to it as it is easy to read and does not involve anything mind shocking. As it will not necessarily pick anyone\'s interest in particular, it can pretty much be suggested to everyone at any time.

You can find Kem Rixen\'s finished story here

<div align="center">
bridgetsmall2sv.jpg

Fladian</div>
If, and only if; Probably the longest story available in the Stories Galore forum at Wc3Anvil but a slow but interesting story. If you don\'t mind reading a story where progress in the story is made slowly and has little action for its genre, then If, and only if is your story to read. Highly suggested to take a few hours off when you want to read this. Best read when you are bored and have a lot of free time.
Rick wake up; Again, a story about a day of someone\'s life while nothing in particular happens. If you feel up to another slow but short story, it might be a good read once.

Nothing is known about Fladian Lince\'s story yet. Fladian will not be participating in the contest.

<div align="center">
waterelement.gif

Thursday</div>

Nothing is known about Thursday\'s story yet.

<div align="center">
av-793.jpg

IlidanStormrage</div>

<strike>Set over ten thousand years before the events of Warcraft I, Azotha: Tribes of Kalimdor follows the journey of the Azotha humans in the final years before the Great Sundering. It shows their strife against the Aqiri in the western deserts and grass lands the against the Amani Trolls in the east, as they migrate there to settle. A:ToK is an epic tail of love, hardships, battle, and loss.</strike>

IlidanStormrage has already posted his story. You can find it here

<div align="center">
av-62.jpg

Escurial-Noxer</div>
A previous story done by Escurial-Noxer can be found here:
The eye of the storm; A very unfinished story about a character that is ready to explore his life further. An interesting short little story to read, but because it just ends at a certain spot, it is unfortunately, not very satisfying. Yet something you don\'t want to miss out off. Best read whenever you are feeling up to read a short story and are ready to be disappointed by a lack of another part of it.

"It\'s about a cheating of a city."

<div align="center">
av-529.jpg

Vess</div>
Vess\' finished story of the Story Contest can be found here though.

<div align="center">johnfn</div>
You can however view some of his other work at wc3c\'s Story Forum
You can find johnfn\'s story here

<div align="center">Final Note</div>
Finished stories should have their own thread and in the thread it should say that the story is for the contest. The story will then be moved to the thread where the finished stories are located. But I personally (Fladian) suggest that you don\'t do this until the contest is nearing its end.
If you are in need of help to write, or just need someone to talk to I\'m sure everyone here is free to talk to. If not, then you can always knock on the door of Fladian who will try to help in a neutral way. Do know that you are doing it on your own risk then. Even though he will help as a judge, it will also mean that there is a possibility that you (unaware) help him with his own story as well.
Posting in the thread is fine to tell about the progress, but if you want to hold a conversation, feel free to use a chatting place such as MSN, AIM or the Chatting room of Wc3Anvil, where you will find several other members of Wc3Anvil too.

I think that\'s about it, so get writing!

<span style="color:#FFFF00">GIANT EDIT by Fladian: Yeah... well... I changed a bit.

Updated by Undead_Lives

Werbung:
(I'm reposting) I am joining.
Also undead you should make a little edit every time someone joins (list their names) that way there is no confusion on who is in and who is out.

Fladian

I'll write something as well, though, as usual, I cannot guarantee I have it finished on time or what kind of quality I'll be delivering. I'll stick being a judge though.

Fladian

In general, it's not the time that is causing problems for me, Skrik. It is mostly the inspiration and motivation to start writing. Though I have a concept, I don't have a source. They need each other for a quality piece to be made.

More importantly, at this very moment, I am very unable to go and write a story or do anything that is amusing for myself. I'm on my break now, but I have to continue studying as soon as possible again. That is a top priority.

SkriK

Is it allowed to have a betareader? Incase i would want a friend of mine to read it and tell me if there's something wrong/missing or anything.

Undead_Lives

Ps. Update your list there Undead :p[/b]
Let me get online. :p
You can have a beta reader if you want, just don't use a teacher.....cause that would be unfair. AND don't ask them for ideas, only for feedback.
I'll have to add that to the list of rules...
PS: Edited.

Fladian

My English teacher is the last one I would like to involve in this. She and I got in quite a big argument last year, and we made a little deal, which involves me not asking questions to her and she is not asking anything to me.

Anyway, if you say you can't let someone "beta-read" it, it'll happen anyway. It's something you cannot stop.

Werbung:

Fladian

Fair enough. =)

A little news about my writing:
I started on writing for the contest yesterday and I wrote for two hours. I deleted everything I wrote an hour after I made it though. :p I tried it again today, but deleted it as well. That's just about all I need to know to change concepts. :p
Yesterda... no, today I finished a story I have been reading for a few days and I saw how much of a back I have been looking at. The person who wrote the story was pretty good, and a lot better than me, despite both he and I not really making a living with it. I only paid lunch with it some time ago. He wrote more than one story, and I'll start on some others when I wake up tomorrow. Though not necessarily taking the interest of many people with a Romance/Humor/Sports, he got more than enough reactions and quite positive ones as well. While reading the story, I was immediately motivated to start writing again as well, but every time I started, I lost my confidence and continued to read instead of writing the story.

Therefore, the story I will probably write for the contest will probably have something similar to the story I read. Though I speak from experience when I say that all my stories end up being drama's. :p The story of that guy had a happy ending (the two main characters got married :p) something I probably couldn't do, even if I tried. :p But I write with my own flow, clearly not the same as him.

Um... yes.