Are we in the dark ages of gaming?

Saohc

^
Not going to be my way of designing.

I don't care if my games end up to be "niche games", as long as they're fun or amazing to some people and myself.

Don't even care about IGN or any of the video game review sites.

Silent Hill 2 had a few gameplay problems, but you know what?

It turned out amazing and, even though it appealed to a different audience, it was a great game.

Some people didn't like it, others did.

And most importantly, it was done in the creator's vision.

Most horror games just tack on zombies and expect it to be good.

Werbung:

radascars

Game developers developed a greed for money. They just "copy-paste" games, rename them and sell them as a "brand-new title". They produce games for money and nothing else. :(

Its not that they "copy-paste" the game but rather improve the game quality itself I know there's a lot of games that are very way similar to each other but when you rate them in gameplay and graphics I should say its differences in quality improvements. You should always think of a positive side of that game developers did.

iebo00

Its not that developers don't have great ideas. Its that publishers just want to make a buck, that's why they push out these mundane sequels. If you want interesting, unique games, then the PC market is a better choice. Although it looks that ocassionally X-box Live and the PSNetwork will offer indie games too.

morbidity

I feel the same about video games these days. Games use to be made in order to challenge the gamers. They would produce hard games such as Megaman and Mario where you had to have at least some skill in order to complete the game. Nowadays games are just way to easy and even a little kid in diapers can beat the games made today. There is one developer that caught my attention in the recent years and that's the creators of Dark Souls and Demon Souls. They made a game that was not only fun, but challenging as well. The game was rated one of the hardest games to date since you need some type of skill in order to progress through the game. If you died you would just restart from where you last saved.

Werbung:

potatoking

Yes I think we're in a sort of a dark age too. I remember the SNES days with great fondness, and as far as gameplay goes, most modern games just follow the same old recipe they always have, without taking into mind the originality of old school developers. If you want real innovation, you should really look into indie developers.

The thing is, big businesses are swallowing up most game studios these days, as they want a piece of the gaming industry's cake - Considering that the industry is now bigger than Hollywood!