Fucking Error

Hetfield14

Alright well while I was playing aztec_cz tonight 12/13/05 around 7-9 o'clock i dunno when exactly...i got booted from the server like i was kicked except the message said that "client dropped due to blah blah i can't remember exactly..." and then i tryed to get back in and it did the same thing a second after i got in...so i exited steam and tryed to start it back up...then the fun began.

I would double-click steam...then nothing would happen...then an ERROR pop-up would come up...

Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to start Steam Engine: *SteamStartEngine(0x12e8c8) failed with error 201: Cannot perform this operation while offline

isn't that just peachy? so i started searching everywhere for solutions, one solution was to delete my clientregistry.blog file which has worked for me before, so i did...and now when i double click it it says Updating Steam... for about 30 seconds with no progress then it says the same damn message...oh...and to make things even better, sometimes instead of that message, i'll get the ERROR message...

Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to start Steam engine: *SteamStartEngine(0x12e890) failed with error 200: Receive Failure, Winsock Error 10055 "No buffer space available"

the times that each error comes up seems to be random, sometimes it's the 201 and sometimes it's the 200, i tryed re-installing steam and i even looked ALL over the fucking internet looking for answers and i found plenty of people who had the same problem, but there is NO solution, steam support stays VERY quiet on this seemingly old problem (earliest post i saw about this error was 2004), oh and if you do happen to go looking for an answer for this and you find one about ATI driver problems, i already installed the Omega ATI drivers and it didn't change or fix a thing, oh and i also used system restore and nothing changed, the last posts on a lot of the forums that i read about this problem on said "you probably wont be playing cs anytime soon"...super

any help on this would be appreciated

Werbung:

mYth

It could be 2 things based on the indications which both have the same course of action.

1. Your Steam.exe file could be corrupted causing your memory to dump.

2. The registry files for Steam could be corrupted, causing fatal errors to the memory.

Action: You'll need to uninstall and re-install Steam. Try backing up the program files first, then re-installing. If it doesn't work then delete all Steam files (including the registry files), then install a fresh copy. Just remember to write down your S/N and P/W for the Steam Client.

Hope this helps Nem!

Hetfield14

thanks for taking the time to respond myth

but sadly no it didnt help, i completely uninstalled, then re-installed steam, so there's a new everything, and still...double click...updating...nothing...but actually as i'm writing this the updating thing is still on and i'm not seeing any error message, there's no progress evident on the updating thing but my cpu usage is at 51 percent right now and i have absolutely no programs running except for anti-virus and steam, normally it runs 1-2 percent when it's just idle like this...so maybe something is going on, i'll post back and let you know in a bit

oooo hold the phone...i just got a DIFFERENT error message, this is exciting...

Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll

i'm exhausted from this shit

Hetfield14

OK well i downloaded Steam.dll from Webzila.com and then i tryed again...after sitting there with no progress for a couple minutes it said the same error message except it was SteamUI.dll
well i downloaded THAT file and i'm trying it again...still waiting to see what new error i can get...the anticipation is killing me, like the night before christmas when you just cant wait to find out what presents you got

Hetfield14

ok even with SteamUI.dll i'm getting the message that says it can't read from blah blah SteamUI.dll

it didn't do that for Steam.dll

does this mean that SteamUI.dll should be in a different folder than Steam.dll?

Hetfield14

ok, nothing worked, i tryed so many different things, i'm still willing to try any suggestions of course but realistically i don't think i'll be playing any game that requires Steam for a looooooong time, shitty

Hetfield14

yes indeed, my steam folder is like...less than 2 megabytes right now. All i've done is download that little "Get Steam Now" installer from www.steampowered.com and then use that to install steam. once it installs itself to C:\Program Files\Steam there is a Steam.exe, and when i double click that, that's the thing that fucks up

mYth

mYth said:
2. The registry files for Steam could be corrupted, causing fatal errors to the memory.

Action: You to need all Steam files (including the registry files), then install a fresh copy from scratch. Just remember to write down your S/N and P/W for the Steam Client.

Omniscient said:
Check your system for viruses and spyware. Also get a registry cleaner. I assume that your registry is fuckored.

Omni, we must be connected on some higher level or sumthin.....anwy, ur gonna have to delete the Steam registry filez from your comp then do a "clean" install of it in order to resolve ur issues......and do that other stuff Omni said becauz HE FUKIN SAID SO!!!!

Hetfield14

DigitalSword said:
Before you go and do anything too crazy, please visit steampowered.com

I remember some kind of help thread related to your dilemma.

|DS|

yeah they've got 3 threads that address the problem, none of them have solutions that have been provided by steam itself, one of the solutions simply refers to the other two, and i have tried the methods that those two threads suggest, one was to uninstall norton antivirus (did it but steam still didn't work) and the other was to use omega ATI drivers instead of official ATI drivers and that didn't work either.

thanks anyways digi

i have basically decided that it is an external problem with my college's network, to test this i'm going to put steam on one of my hallmates computers and see if it works, if it does then i'm back to the drawing board, if it doesnt work then i'm gonna go kick my network administrator in the neck

Werbung:

Hetfield14

SOLVED!!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

OK i found out what was wrong. I had this really big Rhetoric exam at 2 o'clock today...Steam stopped working last night around 7 o'clock. And i come back from the Rhetoric exam, and it's working again. So OBVIOUSLY the problem was that God made my Steam fuck up so i would study for my exam. Why didn't i think of that before?