Concerts / Festivals

Fladian

Well, the title says a lot already. Concerts and Fesitivals, do you (often) visit concerts and/or festivals?

As for myself, well, I'm not the type to go to one often. But when is close by and is cheap or free, then I surely will be around. Unless something comes up. A little while ago, a festival was nearby (well, nearby) and some expected me to go... including myself. But the day before that I got sick, so I didn't go. Unfortunately. I heard it was good.

<div align="center">
iloveradiojq4.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9091/iloveradiojq4.jpg
"325 meters of podium.
15,000 kilo watt of electricity.
300,000 friends of 538.
I.O.S (Is Ook Schitterend), Lasgo, Party Squad, Starstylers, Jan Smit, Clouseau, Ian van Dahl, Postman, het Feestteam, EliZe, Lange Frans & Baas B, DJ Jean, Brace, Di-Rect, Simon Webbe, Ali B & Yes-R, G-Spott, Roy Gates, Racoon, the Opposites, Jamie Cullum, Anouk and DJ Tiesto."
There were a lot more than just them.
</div>

That was one heck of a concert, and every time I think back on it, I get all excited again. Easy to say, it was the first time in my life that I saw that many artists together... not to mention the first time that I saw several of them. I immediately became a fan of Jamie Cullum after seeing him in real life once is a good result of it. :p I can't wait for next year, I'll be going to see them all again. I wonder who will come then.

<div align="center">
jamiecullum1kc1.jpg

Jamie Cullum: "Nee heb je, ja kan je krijgen." (Dutch saying, Jamie is Brittish)
</div>

A few weeks ago (two weeks, as I recall), four bands would perform at a place far away from where I live. If I would go right from school to there, I could still see three bands performing. In the end, we decided not to go. IOS, Within Temptation, Beef and Left would perform. I've never heard of Beef and Left before, but I'm a fan of IOS and I like Within Temptation somewhat. But by the time we would arrive there, IOS would already have performed and I am not prepared to travel such a distance just for Within Temptation.

<div align="center">
iostf6.jpg

Joost Marsman, singer of IOS: "We want to take you back in time... about ten years, can we?"
</div>

On the fourth of October, a concert will be given very close to where I live. Eleven artist will be there to perform, which I like five of them. Most of them are Dutch though, so I doubt many would ring a bell for someone. Wolter Kroes, Do, Belle Perez, Jannes and Guus Meeuwis (especially Guus) also have a name internationally... but only barely. Belle Perez (Belgian) and Do would probably be the most successful international.
I'm completely sure I'll go there. Even if there will only be a few artists. As long as Guus Meeuwis performs I am more than happy. I'm a real fan of him and I really want to see him perform. Unfortunately, he is one of the most popular Dutch artists (ever) and the tickets to his concerts are off the scale for me (with a minimum income). Luckily, this is a free one. :D

<div align="center">
djtiesto2ms7.jpg

DJ Tiesto, second best DJ of the world: "I'll keep on going until the 'mobile unit' is going to take me away."
</div>

My intention is to go to quite a lot of (free or cheap) concerts/festivals for the next three years, as long as my OV (note: I can travel for free throughout the Netherlands and am willing to pick a bit of Germany and Belgium too) is available. So you can probably find me a lot out there from now on. :p

<div align="center">
oranje1pe9.jpg

Jens Timmersmans: "Some Brittish tourists visited us a little while ago, asking us why most of the city was Orange. Well, I clearly answered him that it was a Dutch holiday. They called us crazy."
</div>

So, any stories about concerts / festivals?

Werbung:

Xeridanus

the first concert i went to was in sydney, they had S2S, killing heidi... ugh i forget the rest. anyway, it was on a really big camp called a jamboree, i was with these guys i'd met only a couple of days before hand, at the start of the camp. the concert was awesome. i remeber heaps of people throwing glow sticks up on stage, one of them hit one of the members of s2s on her breast. lol that was funny enough, turns out it was one of the guys i was hanging out with. (i met up with him later and he told me) he seemed very proud and boastful.

another camp (this one is much smaller and thus, so was the concert) up at rockhampton, they had just one band that did covers and a few of their own but no many. this audience was older and much smaller in number compared to the first one i mentioned and they didn't really like this band at all. after they left a DJ took over and did some karaoke, this was the first time i really did any karaoke. i was in a group though, and geez we were high... on fresh air that is. we sang heaps of songs. one of them was tribute, by tenacious d. when we started singing that one, some other guys came up and sang with us, it was great. too bad it finished at midnight. (they said people need sleep, bah!). if i could do either one again, i would have to say the second one. the first one had some good songs for it's time, and more people and louder speakers and everything. but the second one had more people i knew and had known long before that concert. also it had classic oldies, songs that you could listen to in years to come, and still like.

PS, i don't have any pictures like flads post does, sorry.

Kem Rixen

The last concert I saw was on September 16th and I saw The Who. They were incredibly good, way better than I thought they'd be as they're lacking half of their original line up. I can't wait for their first album in 24 years.

Fladian

Yesterday there was a free concert close to where I live. If I'm not mistaking, I mentioned that in my first post. Their official site mentioned several Dutch (and one from Belgium) artists and I was pretty excited to see them. I really wanted to see Wolter Kroes (a popular Dutch artist, but didn't score a hit for quite some time now), Do (international artist), Belle Perez (Spanish singing Belgian artist), Jannes (upcoming Dutch artist; my mother is a fan of him) and Guus Meeuwis (by far my favorite Dutch singing artist and argumentable my favorite Dutch artist; also one of the most successful Dutch-singing artists ever). You would be free to say that I would be extremely happy if just Guus Meeuwis would come.

Unfortunately, only three of those five were actually there and besides that, they were disappointing live.
I've seen Wolter Kroes before at Museumplein in Amsterdam which I mentioned in the first post and he was one of the best artists out there. He really got the party going which truly impressed me. I hoped ("There are about... 70,000, 80,000 people here. I'm wondering, if I say one line, if you can repeat it." - Wolter Kroes in Amsterdam) that he would do something similar out there too. Unfortunately, my hopes were wrong. The first song he did was an unknown song (hardly anyone knew it) and besides, he play-backed it. Luckily, Wolter is quite the sport, and by the time he noticed that people saw he was play-backing, he just made fun of it by doing impossible moves while normally singing. Great guy. His second song was a classic and that really was live. Good song and his two guests (Guillermo & Tropical Danny, owner of the 'summer-hit' of the Netherlands) were nice enough to sing along well. Remarkable enough they didn't do anything them selves.
Belle Perez was most likely the most disappointing of the entire cast who had a 'name.' Despite that everyone knew her songs, less than 1% of the crowd could sing along. After all, Spanish isn't a common language here. I'm not a fan of her, but I've always wanted to see her live before. I don't really regret that I did, but I expected her to be more... active. More excited.
The artist my mother liked, Jannes certainly wasn't disappointing. But on the other hand, I didn't really know what to expect of him. I only know one song of him and found it mostly decent than anything else. He isn't my type of artist regarding music, but he is a man I could admire because he isn't as arrogant as most of the artists who get a bit of reputation. (Frans Bauer, a currently very successful Dutch artist is most likely the least arrogant artist out here; despite that he is insanely popular, he does nothing outside of the ordinary and often let his fans just come in in his house just to get a cup of coffee, with his common words: "I feel sorry for them when they are waiting outside for me." A friend of mine met him once during work. Frans just stopped by with his car and started to talk with them, for no particular reason. "He just suddenly stopped with the car in front of us and started to say some stuff. I don't like his music, but he's a great guy.") In opposite of the other 'big' artists, Jannes was excited to do this and kept looking with a broad smile on his face. The smile he became popular with. As I said, great guy. I'll post a picture of him (photo) later on.
Guus Meeuwis.[b/] the artist I came for, was sick... he had a cold and couldn't sing. He cancelled all his other concerts this month too. Unfortunate indeed.

However, there were some other artists which were nice as well. Gebroeders Ko (Brothers Ko) were doing a great job with a big hit of them currently. Because the Swedish song, Boten Anna was released quite late out here, Gebroeders Ko made a variation of it. They sang about a boat named Anna instead. Horrible song, but because it has the same beat and melody, it remains a great song. Everyone sung along, so it was a nice experience. They are probably my highlight of the night.
BZN was my first time I heard time. The friend I came with asked if I knew them and I answered with: "I only know them by name," which was symbollically meant (I know them by their reputation); I forgot that 'BZN' is a shortage of 'Band zonder naam' (Band without a name). Regardless, they ended the night by performing. Them being the last band. I find that personally very disappointing. They had to let them perform at least two hours earlier. They really got the crowd going... just like Wolter Kroes and Gebroeders Ko.
Nick & Simon were artists I didn't know, but I must admit that they were pretty good. I heard that they were the friends of Jan Smit (one of the most popular Dutch artists of the moment), and was later confirmed. They were pretty good.
Helmut Lotti[/i] was pretty good too, but unfortunately, I didn't recognize him until it was too late. :p

All in all, it was a nice night, except that it was pouring (rain). And I guess that I didn't know about 70% of the artists that came by and that Guus Meeuwis wasn't around... that was disappointing. It was also very disappointing that no girl-friend of mine wanted to come with me, despite that all of them had a fair excuse for not coming; one of them having a very simple but unfortunate one ("I have to work").

Arkidas

As my country is very small compared to other's, I don't go to a lot of big events. However I do show up in a few small events such as concerts & balls. I'll do my best to get some photos :)

Fladian

Heh, I said that I went to a concert a few days ago (Wednesday) and I've been there. I've said some stuff about it and I was on tv yesterday :tup:

I don't mean it that way. The country's total population is 300,000.
Fair enough. :p
I obviousely didn't know that, apparently, so didn't a few other friends of mine. Elianne, the girl who is quite common in my Quote of the Days, was looking over my shoulder when reading your post yesterday at school, she told me that she wasn't aware the total population was only a mere 300,000, nor did several others when we decided to ask other classmates.

Heck, I just PERFORMED in a high school concert, and I rather enjoyed it :D.
That's good to hear. I've never been or seen a High school (or College, for that matter) concert before. Most events out here are pretty boring. Though only a short while ago, the school I attend to made a school party, which ended up as a giant failure if I heard right. :p Let me quote a few parts (I didn't go).

"We are giving some free cards for the school party tonight. Are you guys interested?" - Salesman 1
*looks at each other*
"No, not really. I have to work." - Martijn
"Not me. I've got better things to do." - Me
"I might be. But only if I can bring some friends along." - Franklin
"Sure. How many friends were you thinking of?" - Salesman 2
"Four. Oh, wait, no, three. <name> has to work too." - Franklin
"Alright, could you give me your name and your friends' names?" - Salesman 2
"What kind of things will happen during that party then?" - Martijn
"Glad you ask! We're going to have a dj!" - Salesman 1
*silence*
*more silence*
"Yes... anything more?" - Martijn
"Um..." - Salesman 1
"There will be a movie too." - Salesman 3
"Yeah, a James Bond movie!" - Salesman 1
"James Bond?" - Me
"Yeah!" - Salesman 1
"Well, actually... not really." - Salesman 3
"Yeah, it's more like small fragments of a school and some action." - Salesman 2
"...with James Bond." - Salesman 1
"Um... no." - Salesman 3
"There will be champange too."
"Oh, you can count Franklin in then. Sounds really like something you'd like." - Me
"How many bottles?" - Franklin
"I don't know." - Salesman 2
"I doubt you'll have enough for Franklin anyway." - Martijn
"Shut up." - Franklin
"You can also win a trip to the U.S." - Salesman 3
"Oh? And how could someone do that?" - Franklin
"Just by coming." - Salesman 3
"Oh, in that case." - Martijn
"What? Didn't you have to work?" - Me
"Oh, yeah." - Martijn
"Well, anyway, we should go ask more people. Good to hear that you will be coming though." - Salesman 3

Franklin talked a bit more with one of the other salesman, but I didn't hear what they say.

Never been to a concert. Ever.
That's a shame. Perhaps you should go some time. They usually are quite fun. Even if you didn't like music.

I said I would show some photo's, so here they are. These are all I have. I'm not the one who made the photo's after all. The first is a dancer, the second is Jannes, an artist liked by my mother.

1000860bk4.th.jpg

1000983an1.th.jpg

Squishy-1

wow never been to a concert? im more into like rock and stuff where u can mosh and crowd surf and whatnot but the first concert i ever went to a drummer lit his symbols on fire and it was like whoa!

Fladian

I've never been to a concert before where it all was about one artist/band. Even though at Koninginnedag (first post), Jamie Cullum (Jazz), Anouk (Rock) and DJ Tiesto (Trance) got quite a nice amount of time to perform and had all kind of ways to entertain where Jamie Cullum and Tiesto were most memorable of.

jamiecullum2kk1.jpg
After seeing Jamie for the first time live, I immediately became a small fan of him. When someone can smash the piano with a chair and play it with his head, then you've impressed me. :p Not even to mention when he was playing 'Gold digger,' by using his feet, wrists, hands, his mouth (imitating sounds) and finally his piano, which was in my point of view, without any hesitation, one of the three high lights of his performance. When he managed to get a small 300,00 people to sing with him, that was one of the other highlights. (playing the piano with his head and chair was the third)
Jeroen Nieuwenhuize had a nice way to announce the coming of Jamie Cullum too. "His two passions are his piano and women. He plays with them with his fingers and if he gets really excited, he'll stand on them. It's time to relax and enjoy: Mr Jamie Cullum!" (the last two lines were spoken in English)

anouk0sc6.jpg
Anouk, despite her tremendous reputation out here in the Netherlands (best rock band of the Netherlands, followed by Kane) I can't say that I remember much of what she did. Perhaps the most memorable part of her performance is either that I kept trying to call my sister (who is a fan of Anouk) and Jeroen Nieuwenhuize's way of announcing her arrival.
"I'm not sure about you guys. It's late, and it's getting cold. But I sure got hot after seeing Anouk again." Besides that, her music has never really been my style. I like Kane (the second best rock band out here) a lot more.

djtiestogc7.jpg
DJ Tiesto performance is something I'll never forget for the rest of my life, that's something I can say without any hesitation. Mostly because it's unlikely that I'll ever see Tiesto again with such a small distance inbetween. Tiesto is the second best DJ of the world for a reason (and former no.1) after all. The jumping, the shouting, the singing, it all was great. Regarding music it was the best day of my life. It remains unfortunate that the battery of the camera went dead right when Tiesto was doing his thing.

There was some fire, explosions and fireworks during Tiesto's performance. Though most fireworks were made when the performance was coming to an end and Tiesto walked away from his mix-panel. The explosions, the light, the fire and the fireworks were amazing to see for a first time. Especially with such a celeberty as him. Thijs. Tiesto.

I'm curious who they are going to invite in 2007. Of course I hope that Tiesto will come again (or Armin) but I doubt he will. He's too famous (and too arrogant) to do something like that.
"Test. One, two, three. Museumplein? Tiesto!"

jeroennieuwenhuizesb4.jpg

Jeroen Nieuwenhuize
I'm not the type of guy that likes to go and break stuff though. If I was, I would probably be a fan of the football club Ajax or Feyenoord or so too - who are also known for having violent fans. However, I am a SC Heerenveen supporter, which are (partly) famous throughout the Netherlands for their calm and polite fans. During concerts I am not any different.

Fladian

Even so, but normally it can be guessed a bit. Not to mention that I don't have that site open all the time, especially when at school. :p

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Love music, just don't love the concert scene. Too many get out of hand, and I'm not interested in that.
Besides that, I'm not a guy to wait all night in line to get tix :p