Christmas & New Year: What did you do...

Fladian

Christmas has been a little while ago now, and we have been living in 2008 for almost a week now. I don't know how it counts for others, but this is the last day of my vacation - although it surely didn't feel like it was vacation - so it might be fun to look back on the holidays. What have you been up to, what have you done during Christmas and Old/New Year?

25th of December
Personally, I couldn't imagine a much worse Christmas than I had. Lately the relationship between my parents and me is not exactly improving and I am getting quickly irritated. As soon as I'm back from England, I would like to find a place for my own. But because of the bad relationships, I have been spending most of my first Christmas day in my room watching TV all day long.
Because of a lack of anything else, I have been watching Christmas movies all day long. At the end of the day I was ready to be shot. The next day I heard that I wasn't the only person of my "group of friends" that was bored like hell. One of my friends shared a similar problem and has been watching TV all day long and didn't want to. The other one just got drunk - but he was on his own, so that takes away a lot of the fun.

26th of December
When I woke up, my mother told me that a few friends of the family would drop by and that my brother and his girlfriend would also show up. Now, I am quite fond of those "friends of the family" and I have a great relationship with my brother and his girlfriend. But my mother kept saying that she was completely sure she told me already - which I kept denying. It's true, my memory isn't the greatest, but I keep an agenda in my Quote of the Day nowadays: I would add something like that in it! Almost a month before Christmas, I have been trying to plan things on Christmas day(s) so I wouldn't be home - I failed. I wouldn't have done that if I knew they would drop by.
That kinda wrecked my day and out of irritation, I got in a chat with a friend. She, like me, was bored terribly as well and asked me if I wanted to go with her to another friend - something I surely wouldn't miss out. She told me that he was home... alone. So from 3 in the afternoon till 6 in the evening, we went to his place. He didn't seem to expect us when we arrived though. He was quite (pleasantly) surprised when he saw us. Apparently he wasn't as bored as us. Like the day before, he had been drinking to pass the time. Although he kept saying that he wasn't bored, the fact that he only drank six beers (till 3 PM) so far meant that he was really bored.
Because we really were bored (and I skipped the beer, and any other kind of alcohol that spilled), subjects were hard to find as well. As a conclusion we got to some pretty bad subjects. I quoted one of them: "What the HECK are we doing?! We're talking about politics during Christmas!"

23th of December
The only day worth mentioning related to Christmas was two days before Christmas. Because our "school Christmas lunch" was cancelled, we decided to go out to eat with a selective group of our class, which ended up with six people, including myself. The day was simply hilarious... or rather, the evening.
We decided to go to a luxe restaurant and ordered something like an "all you can eat and drink" menu. I was late, so I just ordered what they ordered. We all paid 30 euros (6 x 30) and we could eat and drink as much as we wanted to for two hours. We were with three guys, and three girls. The girls always drank wine, we, guys, we always drank the beer. Although that was arguable with the guy next to me. He only took two glasses of beer.
Because it was free, one of the people in the group and I were not exactly careful with the beer. Eventually we ordered 6 cans of beer. He managed to empty 4 cans, I finished the other two. I'm not sure how much the girls drank, but they had quite some wine, which we drank some of as well. You are free to say that we were wasted. All of us were drunk - and it would get much worse.
A well worth moment to mention was a fierce discussion between the two people who would get the worst drunk, which includes me. I kept contradicting him in everything he said until he was fed up with it. He referred to the girl in front of him, which is a mutual friend of him and me. "If I wouldn't have a girlfriend," he said, "I would have made out with <name> a long time ago."
My answer was completely spontanous and most likely unexpected by everyone: "Of course, so would I." It resulted in her shouting my name and then leaving towards the bathroom. No harm done, I've said more stupid stuff while sober... and drunk.
Another moment that was well worth noting was when everyone bought each other a present. We all put it in a big bag and everyone would get a random pick. It was obvious that some presents were meant for someone in specific. One of the guys in the group is nearly bald. He got some kind of brush that helped relax his head, which is usually meant for someone with a lot of hair. The other guy got ear warmers, which really looked gooffy. Several days later we heard that his girlfriend took it along. One of the girls got a DVD with a cartoon on it - probably meant for the almost bald guy. I'm not sure what the second girl got, but I got a piggybank jar. Kind of funny, but I'm usually broke. The last girl got my present. A little keychain light. She was pretty happy with it because she was searching for something like that. At least one person who had something fitting.

After the two hours ended, we went to our "typical" restaurant. This restaurant is owned by the sister of my boss and we always go out there. When someone invites us "to go out and do something," the chances are more than 90% that we go there. The employees know us, know exactly what we want to drink, when we want to drink and how much we want to drink (and usually how long we stay). Besides that, they also know our names (and sometimes ask: "Where is <name>.").
But before we arrived there, one of my friends had to have a serious talk with me. Now, imagine this, a very serious talk between two people who were both very drunk. Well, I was very drunk, she was just plain drunk. :p
I can't remember the conversation too well (in opposite of most of the night), but I do remember that I tried to kiss her several times during that conversation and everything that came after that. But in all honestly, the thing she wanted to talk about went just fine. She got the answer she was searching for.
When we finally got to the restaurant, we immediately continued our drinking spree. Some people are just very good in taking advantage of guys. "So, I'm out of money. Who wants to pay for wine for me?" so said a friend. The sucker that I am, I ordered a wine for her (and completely forgot about it at the end of the night). The biggest laugh we all had was halfway at the restaurant. It is no secret that one of the girls in the group is in love with a guy in our class who wasn't with us at that time. But because he is too insecure to make the first move, she wanted to start. The other drunkard guy at the table tried to give her advice. I heard half of what he said and I just couldn't control my laughter. Every time when I thought he was getting serious, he made a completely stupid remark which made the advice useless.
Now, the gentleman that I am, I decided to call a mutual friend of the guy she likes and mine. Because she answered the phone almost immediately (I didn't hear a dial tune) I thought I got her voicemail. So after three times of saying "hello" I understood that I had her on the phone. Alas my reaction wasn't the best: "Hey <name>, I want to flirt with <name>, do you have some advice for me?"
It took her three times to confirm this until I understood I said something wrong and corrected myself: "No, no, not me. <Name> wants to flirt with him. Not me. Do you have advice?"
Her reaction was well worth calling her for: "Three things. Are you drunk?"
"Yep, I sure am."
"Right. Two, I don't know the girl that likes him."
"Oh yeah, good point."
"And three, HOW THE HELL SHOULD I KNOW?!"
She kinda made her point at that time. And because I couldn't understand half what she was saying, I decided to give my phone to a friend so she could continue the conversation. She was far less drunk than I was. The reason why I couldn't understand her well was because the connection is terrible inside of the restaurant. It had nothing to do with the fact that I drank too much. After I got my phone back, I walked outside of the restaurant to continue the conversation.

The only down side of the evening was that I felt pretty bad after my last beer. I didn't finish my last beer because I was feeling a bit weird. I made a little distance between my friends and myself because I thought it could have gone wrong if I started talking. My guess was right too.
Personally I blame my chronic-hick (since four (or so) months I have spontanous hick ups, which seem to appear twice an hour), but my friend blames the fact that I drank far too fast. "You never drank that fast before," he told me, "it wasn't completely unexpected." Whichever it was, it didn't really matter. I threw up... inside the restaurant.
A week later I returned to apologize to the owner. She already forgot about the incident, but accepted my apology, bought me and my friend a coke and asked me when we would return with the "usual group of people." Well worth noting was that she kept it a secret from my boss, but I already told my boss about the incident. "You shouldn't have told her!" the owner said, "We are supposed to keep such things a secret here."

30 & 31th of December and 1st of January
Three days. Why? Because two days are too boring to tell. The 30th day of December was a disaster. We actually made plans to celebrate New Year at a friend's place, but almost everyone decided to cancel it, which resulted in three people (including myself) who still wanted to go. So we decided to cancel it as well. I was sorely disappointed because I didn't want to be home.
The 30th did have some interesting quotes, including the QotM, which was the only good side of the day. The funniest of them all was my constant whinning for a date with a friend: "You STILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL want that?!" I have been persistently asking for over four months now. "Told you I am stubborn."
The 31th of December wasn't much better either. Because of a lack of anything better, from 3 PM till 3 in the morning (first of January) I played cards with my parents. I ended up winning most of it. The only good sides of the evening was the good music they always play on Old/New Year. Some international artists like Bon Jovi, Madonna, Robbie Williams and Justin Timberlake and a lot more were shown on TV. I sticked with Williams, Timberlake and my personal favorite Dutch artist, Guus Meeuwis and a combination of tons of artists, but only few international ones.

When it was finally New Year, I wanted to go out to the street to congratulate people. Hey, I like to do that. But that was short lived. There was an extreme fog (which resulted in numerous of car crashes and accidents) which resulted in the fact that I couldn't see far more than a meter in front of me. Everyone had this problem and didn't know what to do. The result was that hardly any firework was lit (you couldn't see it!!!) and the "good night" quickly ended. My stupid neighbours did decide it would be fun to lit some firework, which resulted in me too scared to leave the house. They were especially fond of such spinning things. I like them too, don't misunderstand me, but you can't direct where those things shoot at. And if you put something like that RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR DOOR, it is waaaaaaay too dangerous for any neighbour to come out. But personally I was worried about two friends. One would go to her best friend at exactly 12 AM, and the other one lives with a huge group of students. That simply couldn't go well.
There was nothing to worry about I heard two days later. The first friend had her father around and because of a lack of firework, there was nothing much to fear. The other friend decided to go to bed early. ("She asked you to call me late in the afternoon, so I would be sober? Is she stupid? You're calling way too late. I'm already drinking again.")

The first of january was quite boring as well. Absolutely nothing happened except that everyone decided to set off their firework at the night of the first of January (instead of the night of the 31th of December) because there was no fog this time. That didn't hide the fact it was a very boring day...
Because the plans were cancelled for New Year, we decided to go out to eat (again) on the second of January. Great and fun day and I didn't know that one of our friends was such a good cook. She really did an excellent job. Nice kind of change compared to my suicidal-dinners. :p

End of Post
Well, that was my Christmas and New Year and a day inbetween to loosen up the extreme boredom. I hope you all had a better time than I had on those holidays, because I can't remember any other holiday in which I was more bored than these.

Oh, if you are searching for presents. I didn't get any in specific. My mother bought me a new razor and a friend bought me a piggybank jar. I wasn't really expecting any presents, so this was kinda fun.

So... yeah.

Werbung:

Mini-Me

Good to see I wasnt the only one bored this christmas and new years. Heh, well you know what I mean.

At christmas (the 25th) I watched like 4 movies. Then spend the whole night until 5am playing online poker. It was a tough tournament which I was playing, otherwise I wouldnt have stayed up that long. I ended up as something like #27th place, which meant about 200 dollars for my nights 'work'. Overall good day, as I enjoyed most of the movies and got money at the end of the night, heh.

At new years it was a terrible weather. It was cold and it rained the whole day and night. I had some plans with my friends, but nothing certain. And as it wasnt anything certain, the plans fell apart, so I ended up sitting at home doing nothing special. I watched couple of movies and watched the fireworks. The fireworks were this year a bit quiet, I guess the terrible weather kept most people at their homes.

Heh, so, did anyone actually have fun at christmas or new years? Let's hear your stories.