Vacation

Fladian

Most schools are closed currently, considering most people out here still go to school, I assume most are enjoying a vacation. I am not an exception at the moment. My vacation from school started about five months ago, but I got free from work only a month ago. I had two weeks off - which cannot be called a vacation at all! I have been trying to finish some stuff which is of dire importance; something I'm still not done with - and returned to work after that. For another month of being a normal employee (at a bizar temprature), I finally am free to do what I like; my vacation officially started.
"You know, I'm really starting to get jealous at Eli. She started with her job (again) after my vacation started. And when did the temprature started to go down? Exactly, the day I stopped working. As if that isn't enough, she clearly pointed it out to me. Oh well, I guess it's funny." - Me

So, how are you guys enjoying your vacation?

A week (or two) ago, I planned that I would definitely go out a lot (despite that I'm not the type of perosn to go out) but who am I that I be expecting that the temprature would drop with 10 - 15 degrees (celcius) in less than aweek? :p Not to mention that it has been raining non-stop for nearly all week now... quite... sad, actually. So much for my plans. I should have continued to work there... that way, I could at least properly say good bye to a few guys out there...
"It's getting cooler next week. 'It's dropping to 27 degrees,' he says. I'm not sure what you like, Ed, but I still think 27 degrees is hot." - Ramon, my former boss.
As a result, I have been playing Baldurs Gate, a game, for most of my vacation now. Not that I mind it too much, but it has been taking quite some time of me.
Together with a forgein friend of mine - who is also a member of this forum, but I'll spare his name - we also decided that we would try our luck with a few girls. I'm not sure how it fares with him - he told me he was quite "clueless" at the matter - but it fared better with me that I would have possibly dreamed. That's what's wrong though. Too much success it not good either; not for someone like me. I have been staying offline more than usual just to avoid contact currently. I told that "forgein friend" as well that I will not be "impressing any girls for a little while. About a half a month, or a full month I'll remain silent; unless one of them decides to make a move instead, but I'm not expecting much. The chance however, does exist, as I have a few deals and promises running with a couple of them." What is the conclusion of that? I'll have a very boring vacation from today on. :p
I'm still (slowly) recovering from the many parties I attended to only a short while ago. In one week of time, more people were having their birthday than I can even count. The problem was, there were even more parties in that same week than people having their birthday. Quite exhausting, I must admit, but fun nonetheless and I do not regret a second of it.

My vacation won't be a calm one for long however. On the 21th of August (the 23th, to be exact) I am supposed to go back to school for some kind of introduction. Despite that such things are optional, the letter clearly mentions that you must attend to it. Free will, where has it gone?
But before my school starts, I want to travel a little bit. Starting on the 16th of August, I'll be able to travel for free throughout the entire country (not that it's all that much :p the Netherlands is quite small). That's my plan. Perhaps I'll be visiting some concerts, some far-away living friends or maybe deal with those "unfinished business" I earlier spoke off. Though the first two sound a lot more pleasant. If I can avoid that "business," then I'll do so. I am currently not interested in putting myself under unnecessary pressure. Bah, I'm just afraid for the consequences...

So, the question is, how you are you guys spending your vacation? Trying your luck with a summer-job? Leaving, or already left to another place to spend your vacation? Just "enjoying the weather in your own backyard?" (- Elianne, a friend) Perhaps you're busy with some personal stuff out there, which is denying your vacation? Or maybe "are you killing yourself from boredom because there isn't anything to do?" (- Wendy, an acquaintance)

Werbung:

Benx_X

unfortuantly im not even on a vacation, though possibly in a few days im going to some place called kwalla(defintly not spelled right) castle might even be spending the night there too

Fladian

A little miscalculation from my side. Only a few minutes ago, I got a phone call from a friend of mine. Though she called because she need some help with ordering our school books, ("I know it's late, and I wonder if we'll get them on time," "and they call me late when I ordered them two weeks ago.") she did mention (inbetween) that our vacation would only last two more weeks. I kept thinking I still had two weeks to recover and one week to travel. Little miscalculation from my side, I guess. I only have one week left to recover and one week to travel. I may want to cut that in half...
Regardless, my favorite radio channel is keeping a few student-parties soon, and despite that I'm only free on the days that DJ Jens is performing, (I don't like Jens; I learned a while ago that his true skill is presentating things, not his dj qualities) I'll probably will take a look. Except the traveling-costs, it's free, unless you win the VIP-price - you'll get money, a trip, a room and a hotel room for one night. It's only unfortunate that the closest place they are going to keep one of those parties is on a day that I'm (probably; I don't have my scheldue yet and won't receive one for at least two weeks) at school - strange day to do it anyway - and the next closest place is at least one hour away by train. With the longest two (and a half) hours by train, which is about the longest range of traveling I am able to do within the Netherlands. I live pretty much in the centre, and if I would go to the farthest of the north or to the south, the longest range would take about 2 and a half hour for me. Two hours if I want to visit my "girlfriend." Which I also have to do some time soon when my OV is active again.

I didn't pay much attention to it when she said "only two more weeks left, huh?" But I realized it a few minutes afterwards - by checking the date myself - that she was right. I really have to make some new plans now... when should I go and take a hair cut? It feels like I'm the same as three years ago. (Three years ago, and all years before that, I had long hair... and a mustache, but I have that now too... and a beard. What? I forgot to shave... again)

Probably near the end of the vacation (18 - 21 August) I'll be taking a look in Belgium or Germany as well. It's likel that I'll kick one of my friends who has a license to go and take a look out there as well.

I also made a promise with a friend - some time ago already - that we're going to keep a marathon of listening to 'Midden in de nacht Rick' (Midnight Rick, radio show during midnight). But because the dj of that program, Rick van Velthuysen, is currently on vacation (in Spain, as I recall), we can't start on it yet. My favorite dj, Edwin, is on vacation as well, so I have nothing really to wait for.
We also told each other that we'll probably go and visit their studio some time. He wanted to go during the night... well, so do I, actually, but I prefer the morning more. Some called us crazy for saying that, but we both know: 'If we take a good looking girl along, we'd definitely get in... and if that fails, we can always take a whole load of food. Rick of EJ will let us in then.' Other people have experience with that.
Lately, Rick's midnight show has been getting popular throughout the entire country, so I'm sure a few girls I know will be willing to go along. It shouldn't be much of a problem... well, except: "I'm afraid of Erik-Jan," or so were the words from one of the girls. Justified, in truth. Erik-Jan is a man to fear; I wouldn't sit alone in the same room with him, no matter how much you paid me... unless it was a high enough sum to bribe EJ with too. Come to think of it... EJ are my initials too...
I told that friend that we'll go together at one condition. We'll stay there 'till the morning, so I can meet my idol, Edwin. We all agreed on that. Now we only have to wait for both of them to return from their vacation. :p ("Where are Rick, Edwin and Jeroen anyway?" "Rick is in Spain, Edwin in Portugal and I don't got a clue where Jeroen is; but I don't really care about him.")

So how much vacation-time do you guys got left?

Fladian

Well, that's a relief (or not). At least you have some time to relax, I guess.

In a way, I can't wait for my school to start. I'm eagerly waiting for how my class will look like, I'm interested in my new study course and, finally, interested in if I'll be a classmate of a particular friend of mine.
On the other hand, I really need some time off. Some wounds don't heal fast.

Undead_Lives

Meh, I'm not counting down the days that vacation ends until I have to go shopping for some supplies :p
Which will probably be the weekend before school starts :p

Fladian

I'm not planning of shopping for anything either (besides a few pens, I probably need a few maps), as I don't really need them. However, since the start of this year, we need to buy our own (school) books, instead of ordering them at the school we attend to. This would probably not give any specific problems, if they gave a better manuel.

"I want to hire the books, but is it just for me, or are there only three books for hire?"
"No way! I thought there were more. Wait a minute, I'll check. *checks* Ahw, you're right. There are only three."
"What a prices! Did you also order the English book?"
"Yeah, of course. You can't hire that one either."

Undead_Lives

I remember in my Elementary school they gave such a specific description of necessary things. They listed brand, and even model.
Turns out as long as you got some stuff, you'd be ok.
So what I'm saying is that a badly described manual is bad, an over described one is just as bad.

Fladian

Back in High School we had to buy some specific stuff as well, like you mentioned. Brand, and stuff. I can't remember much of elementery school.

I meant a different kind of manuel than what you have in mind though. We are supposed to order our books by using the internet (not necessarily by using the internet, but the other way takes more time and does not guarantee success) but the site is unfinished and no student is familiar with the site just yet. When opening the site, it's a bit of a guess what to do next. The only thing you have, is your student number, which isn't really helpful at that current moment.
A manuel which would explain what you would have to do on the site would be appreciated. It took me about 10 minutes until I found a button: 'Order books.'

Undead_Lives

You have to order from a website? That sucks.
I have a problem with the school system here too...they have this unbelievably STUPID graduation program....thankfully it'll probably be dropped.

Fladian

The website sucks indeed, and I am pretty sure that some people are going to complain about it when school starts again. I'm quite confident in saying that some people refused to 'order their books' by using that site too. :p Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened... never has a year passed without trouble with the books.
2004/2005 were the marketing books. They arrived late, forcing us to get some extra classes. I never really minded it though, I liked that class... and I was pretty good in it too.
2005/2006 we never received our German books and had to do with some poor copies. Together with four friends, we made a bet how long our 'copies' would last. After four months, two of those four friends lost in the bet because their copies were already torn and were ready to fall apart. Five months the third of the four dropped out because he 'lost' his copies. The last guy, Bram, and myself were left. Five weeks before the end of the school year, Bram lost his copies. Did that mean I won? No, mine fell apart during the last week. In general, I was one of the last that managed to keep it together for such a long time. :p

Graduation program?

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Ya, you have to fulfill all of these "aspects" to graduate.
One of them is "Comment on some kind of performance". I mean, what does that have to do with graduating?
The funny thing is that the teachers don't even understand it lol.