Unsung Legends

Falcoknight

http://wc3sear.ch/viewforum.php?f=36

Hello, please visit our site we are in need of more:

Skinners
Modelers
Terrainers...more!
Good Jass worker

UL short for Unsung Legends, is a world RPG, set in the warcraft universe. This we emphasize greatly, we are not a WoW copy or imitation, though sometimes we may draw some ideas (for systems) from WoW. We have our own storyline that will befurther explained later on, it picks up righ after Arthas merges with the Lich King, using information we can only find in wc books, or of course other wc titles. Anything after the merger, or not shown during the final TFT cinematic, is fair game, we can choose to make it up as we like, as we believe that it is important to stick to our priniciples, which you wll see scattered through out this explanation. All our terrain is based off historical wc3 data.

You can play any of the playable races through the plains of Azeroth, the forests of Kalimdor or the frozen wastelands of Northrend. Buy mounts, hire mercenaries or call on the aid of heroes to help any of the numerous factions you will decide to join. Through hundreds of quests to change the future of this world, will you become a loyal minion of the legion, a devoted protector of nature or a thief whos only loyalities are to those who pay the most? You decide!

Features:

- A unique third person camera.
- Intense Terraining
- A detailed Storyline (see below)
- Excellent and detailed systems that will be explained below.
- Over 20 quests per map and several more never-ending ones
- A large amount of custom models, skins and icons.
- Great Gameplay to be explained later

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here is some complete explanation for people willing to know more about UL:

DEMO progress (rough estimates):
- systems 99%
- terrain 100%
- quests, 30%
- object editing 80%
- art, models, icons etc. 90%
- concepting 100%

Unsung Legends Full Version Progress (rough estimates):
- systems 30%
- terrain 7%
- quests, 3%
- object editing 4%
- art, models, icons etc. 5%
- concepting 56%

Terraining:

All our maps are based on warcraft I, II & III, they are big and they allow the player to travel through much of the world without having to do hours of playing. But they are big enough to allow the player play during one year and see nothing already explored. The maps are connected by roads, boats or air transport. Those means of transportation will be shown on the minimap for an easier travel circuit.

The maps are divided in 3 types:
- Dungeons: those maps are full of creeps, and can be entered by any player. There are no friendly units in those dungeons, so you will have to fight until you complete the dungeon or fall back to the relativ safety of another map. Monsters are spawned from Boss Dungeons, wich are buildings that can be entered and purged of ennemy to stop the spawning. When the entire dungeon is safe, and all the Boss deads, the dungeon is completed, and you get a big amount of exp and a complete cinematic about the dungeon and its origin. Those maps are dangerous but very efficient to gain fast exp. There are different levels of dungeons, and more you progress in the dungeon, more powerfull your ennemies are. Dungeon's reward are always significant...
- War torn area: those maps do posess 2 hostile bases. Those maps do represent 60% of the surface of UL. The two ennemy bases spawn units to attack the ennemy, and the player can help his allies to win the battle, and, doing so, gain exp and reward. Those maps are full of quests and treasure, but the villages do not posess much shops generaly.
- Capital/Inner lands: Those maps are friendly lands, where hostile activity is rare. It's where beginers can make exp and gain little gold completing the easy missions you can get there. If those maps looks useless for those seeking battle, they are full of shops and official buildings where you can complete more "political" missions that can become very... rough sometimes. Those maps are safe heaven if you are friendly to its owners, but if you are one of their ennemy, they act as dungeons, and units are going to be spawned to capture you and kill you.

Our maps are realistic, wich means they are first based on warcraft lore, and our needings for shops, equity or such is secondary. We do prefer to do beautifull towns, where the player could loose himself than ugly square town, so this is more esthetic and realistic than easy to explore. It adds some fun, as the player really need time to entirely explore the town and undig its secrets.

quests:

Each UL map, will have at least 20 quests, mattering on it's importance and it's level of difficulty. We try and make the quests intriguing, but sometimes when you get down to low importance maps, it come down to, kill that bunch of humans. Capital cities will have a large variety of quests, from newbie ones to uber hard ones, there will be plenty of people just milling about, sometimes giving out quests, other times commenting on the weather, capital cities are easily the most engaging experience UL has to offer, with large mall like shops to enter, libraries that hold actual lore, and some times arenas among soo much more, you have to experience one to know it. In UL we like to give a few impressions of the world through quests.

1) War is continous, it's not a bunch of nicely arranged battles, where ppl kill each other go home, and say hi to each other on the way to work the next morning. To give this feel in many of the maps, there will be enemies and allies constantly spawning and attacking/defending. To make it seem like war is going on all the time, you will be able to feel like something greater that extends past just your hero, when attacking and defending alongside these spawned units, which of course get stronger, so it does not become a field day for the hero.

2) Nothing is black or white, everything is just grey variances, and things that appear whole are not. For example, the humans are usually the good guys in wc but there are guilds of thieves and bandits that don't really care, they might be human, but they can still fight against the normal law abiding, and even in the Alliance, the kings and all try always plot to gain more power and all. In our quests there are several such missions where, you can help the bandits and thieves, like assasinating someone, breaking people of out jail or my favourtie the very complex blackmarket. Which is open only durign the night, 'enforcers' circling the city, and if you happen to use a blackmarket store, near one wham you're fined. i could explain more, but it takes time.

3) Our needs are never exhausted, rather they grow. In order to make sure the player is never bored, there are some continous never ending quests, in pretty much all but the smallest least important map, these quests will grow in expectations, e.g. get more rarer and rarer to find ingredients, or go kill those undead that get stronger everytime you kill them, i pay you by the kill.

4) We will always have enemies and they get stronger, creeps respawn periodically, and get stronger, with each respawn not to mention for each level the hero gains.

Werbung:

Escurial

Great idea. Best point has gotta be that not everything is black and white. i hate the notion of evil and good. its way overused in games and it takes all realism out of a game.

Though it sounds like a very large project and i understand why you still need terrainers.

Fladian

The project is indeed huge, Escurial. I stared at it for a while back at Wc3c, but never really did much about it. I only know it was the only project that kept going after all that time...
Believe me from my word, it was a huge pain to write a review about Unsung Legends back in my thread, Projects in Development.

It's good to hear it is still going though. Perhaps I should pop up, and say hi.

lord_carbo

Didn't this only have about 8 or so maps? Or was that the demo? That wouldn't take THAT long to make, unless each one was epic or something :p

Falcoknight

The demo constists of around 40 maps.. the entire thing.. hundreds

Good and evil? Umm, its an rpg... but its based on that, but you realise almost every desision, story and fact in the earth is between good and evil, even deciding if you want to have eggs or pankakes... Eggs = EVIL! EVIL! EEEVVVIILLLLL!!!!!!!

Falcoknight

Err well, 20 of them are small maps that are either just underwater, airship, etc... and the rest of them are bigger ones, some the biggest they can get

Werbung:

Fladian

The biggest thread ever? Are you sure? I was quite active in some threads in the early days as well, not to mention the big flame war in a deleted section, which eventually became a big thread as well.
How big is the UL thread now anyway?

Unsung Legends is right now, probably, one of the most ambitious projects around that booked more progress than anyone would ever thought of. I can tell you now though, that Dorelian is pretty much against the project.