Unlicensed Windows XP

Intro

Pup, you might be able to answer this for me. My roommate has on old computer that was rebuilt and reformatted by some guy for him. Apparently, the guy was using a master disc to install XP on the machines he was rebuilding. He's recently developed a pretty bad spyware problem (much similar to Keisor's post about Swear's computer) so I was going thorugh the motions and trying to clean things up. When I went to update IE via Windows Update, we were told we couldn't do it due to an unregistered/unlicensed copy of Windows.

So if my roommate paid for a legit rebuild/windows install and got fucked by some cheap ass, do you think Microsoft would replace it for him or at least offer a registration code to validate his version? I remember seeing a link saying something similar to that while we were trying to get it to work - any ideas?

Werbung:

Puppet

What he got given to him was a cracked version of XP. Back in pre-XP versions it was simple because you didn't have to register the copy. Lots of people had illegal versions of Windows 2000. When XP came out it got a little harder for the thieves due to registration because your registration is based partially on your hardware configuration, so if you tried to register with new hardware and the same copy of XP then the registration process would force you to talk to a person at Microsoft. Anyway, to get around all this they had to hack an XP copy to do it. Microsoft isn't going to be real excited about helping your friend. They can quote you numbers on how much this affects their bottom line. I would suggest first that he get a free copy of spybot at www.spybot.com and try to get rid of his problem. If he is forced to rebuild then I would go buy a copy of XP. It's cheap enough these days. Sorry I'm not full of good news.

keisorsoze

wow, I had that problem 2 years ago. I had windows millenium on my old dell and borrowed a XP upgrade from a co-worker. After a week or so I could not open windows because it told me my registration ran out. So I called microsoft tech support and they told me they would give me a registration key for $90. I told them I just want to get back to windows millenium and I spent another hour doing a step by step through DOS to restore win millenium.....

Puppet

That's a shame you had to do that. I will admit that I only purchased one copy of XP Pro when it came out, even though Microsoft would say that I need to buy a seperate one for each computer in my house. Anyway, when I go to register the second and third and fourth copies, it fails because the key is now registered to a certain piece of hardware configuration that belongs to the first computer.

SOOOOOOOOOO, here is how I get around it. I know this isn't very honest, but I feel that I should have to buy only one copy. I call Microsoft and tell them the registration failed, at which point they tell me what they told you. But I turn right around and say that this is computer 1 and I replaced the motherboard in it and a couple of pci cards and they have no choice but to give me a new key under the assumption that the hardware key changed enough to cause this problem. Since I have like 14 days to register, I spread these phone calls out. Tricky bastard heh? Now go and screw Microsoft.

Intro

Well I managed to get the IE pop-up barrage to stop.

Got Firefox going and everything seems peachy. Ran some Ad-Aware scans and deleted some shits from the registry and spanked it on the ass.

Guess he'll just have to deal with the lack of Windows Updates..

psychonaut13

there is a site with an option for him, i just had to use it the other day even though i have a legal copy of xp pro. unfortunately i'll have to wait until i can get in touch with a friend to get the link.

baically, it's a javascript line that you put int he addy bar of your browser and hit enter BEFORE you choice the regular or custom update install configs. i'll post as soon as i hear from jdub.

XxxRanciDxxX

Yeah, but it's so much cheaper. I have to be honest, even though I was a cop, I dont pay for anything software wise. I have 6 comps in my apartment. One is running my entertainment center and is located behind our TV in the living room. And each one is running on a warez version of windows. The entertainment one is actualy running on the new Windows whistler. I've run into the problem you have had many times. I have solved it by one thing. Swapping HD on the one legit copy I own. And just doing a full install. Then I take it out and pop it in the one it belongs. *after its all updated*

blze

dude, if you dont mind, could you put up some config/specs for the puter you have running the entertainment system?

i have wanted to do that for over a year now and just dont know where exactly to begin.

thx.

Werbung: