Modern War Field Tactics

Zergleb

I have already posted a thread about this in the Campaign Team Gathering forum, but I'd like to post it here to start discussion on it, below is a copy of what I typed in the other thread.

A link to the Team Gathering thread
http://www.wc3anvil.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1007

-
Of all my current projects, this one is my favorite. Alright now the basics first, the game has 5 unit squads controlled by each player, all units(at the moment) are use Konstrukt Marine model but have different weapon attachments. Using terrain as cover(I'm implementing so all terrain affects the battle), you manuever your marines to complete whatever objective for the current game-type.

Before you read further, realize that MOST of what I describe to you is already created and playtested

Now to explian the bread and butter of the game, which is using all of the terrain as cover, this includes hills so I like to explain it as "The ground will stop bullets". So if you have one unit on one side of the hill and another past the hill, when the unit tries to attack the other the hill will stop the bullets(for the warcraft ignorant, arrows and attacks of all types ussually just go straight through terrain) and I've done the same for trees(cannot attack through them) and rocks. But also the Konstrukt model lays prone, so I have also implemented the system to be able to hide behind shorter cover when you are laying down. Also units don't fire with perfect accuracy so if only a little of you is showing, there is more chance an attack will hit ground rather than the unit.

Using a similar system, I also have a unit detection system that wont auto-aquire unit that are not in a line of sight(if vision would be blocked by terrain). But I've altered the aquiring system a bit more by adding a reaction timer, how this works is it looks at certain factors: What angle the unit is facing away from the other unit, is unit prone, is unit moving and that type of thing. So you can try to win battle by doing flanking manuevers and getting the jump on the first shot.

Other than that some features are, use of grenades and smokebombs, a variety of game types(I only have one now for testing), a variety of unit types right now the only difference is variety of strengths and weaknesses(attack speed, move speed, prone advantages) but will later be more of a different roles in the squad unit variety.(Grenades would not damage through terrain, alot like a bullet)
-

Feel free to post any feedback.

Werbung:

Zergleb

Just any kind of feedback, how they feel, what they would like to see, Good idea/bad idea, do you like the title?(didn't wanna add that because I think people would focus on it).

st33m

So, my understanding is that you are making a cool engine for the physics, which sounds killer. The name 'Modern War Field Tactics' is okay, but not super awsome. I dont know what you would want to do with the name though. If there is a specific story, perhaps call it the name of the planet/land or faction/commander or something.

As far as if it is a good idea, it sounds better than a lot of ideas out there, so thats a yes if you can make it work.

Things I would like to see are... I dunno. Whatever you think adds to the map. Just try to stick to something and not just keep adding cool ideas, because while that is cool, it wont make a super map. :infernal:

Zergleb

Well I'm not sure if I like the name, but the thing I like best about it is the idea that its going to be the biggest part of my marketing. I mean how many people are just going to skip over a game called Delta Force blah blah something. I don't have a box cover for people to read and see what the game is all about, I need something that will help people know this game is different(not that I think my name will work).

I guess the best idea might be to make a good game, maybe name it US Rangers: Realism and maybe get some people to join hoping they wont be dissapointed by it being called realism.But although it will have good interactivity with the enviroment, realism is a bit of a stretch.

Well all I know now is that my ideas for the name are not so good, but I also have some time. Though I think I'm going to push either realistic or something similar in the name.

Although I really don't think the name has any problems as a project name, because I do have something for them to read and see what it is all about, I'll just most likely have to change it by the release.

Undead_Lives

Cause people (like me) would skip it because of the long name, and think it's lame.
Meh, you should ask for a brainstorm of map names to get one.

Zergleb

The name is fine for the moment, Anyone wish to talk about something else? its a whole thread about the name at the moment.(I said it would happen if you read above)

st33m

We dont have much to work with here for comments.

It looks fine.

There, thats all I can give based on the information you've given us.

And crap, Undeads avatar is like mine...

Werbung: