media player

The Perv

i have copied version of XP pro, and it wont let me update media player, is this normal?

i'm pretty sure it let me update it b4

and plz no lectures on pirating, i dont shed tears for big corp's...

Werbung:

Puppet

I shed tears for big corps. Microsoft estimates they lose 29 billion dollars per year on pirated software. If you had a roadside lemonade stand and some kid was stealing 1 of every 4 glasses you sold then you would be chasing his ass down the street.

Now that I bitched you out......what is the error you get when you update? I assume this when you use autoupdate function at microsoft.com right?

DigitalSword

Well gee honkee maybe they fixed it to say "hey, jackass, stop pirating shit" Followed by "ps, you accessed our site with pirated software, we now have your IP and are sending out the FBI to your home".

|DS|

Werbung:

Intro

DigitalSword said:
Well gee honkee maybe they fixed it to say "hey, jackass, stop pirating shit"

Yeah, that part's right - not so sure about the federales, though.

The latest Windows update included the new Microsoft Genuine Advantage software which scans your version and determines if it's legitimate or counterfeit. If it finds it to be a fake, it gives a warning message followed by a system tray icon - you can click it and get options on how to get the real goods. With a receipt of purchase and explanation they even offer complimentary copies. Here's the site about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en

And here's an article on some of the negative reactions to packaging software like this in a standard "Windows Update" pack [which kinda pisses me off too now that I've read more about it ><]:

http://www.cmpnetasia.com/oct3_nw_viewart.cfm?Artid=28825&Catid=8&subcat=89&section=News

The program's validation feature, however, does pass along more information, notifying the company whether a computer is running a pirated copy of Windows, and identifying the manufacturer of the hardware, and its settings for language and locale. The software rechecks the computer every 90 days to make sure nothing has changed.

If you rearrange the letters in Microsoft, you get BIG BROTHER.

:|

Oh yeah, and to answer your question - pirated versions of Windows cannot download software updates but can still receive security patches and updates.