Maximizing your FPS in Counterstrike

Puppet

I have been asked how to do this quite a few times so maybe it is best to post a procedure for all of you. Maximizing your FPS can have quite a positive affect on your playing. I don't consider tweaking your fps to be cheating, just making the most of your game and network. If you feel it is cheating then I welcome your comments.

Frame rate really has a lot to do with your monitor. If your monitor isn't capable of doing high frame rates then no sense in setting it high because it will actually cause problems for you in CS. So the first thing you need to do is set your monitor for the highest frame rate it is capable of. Hopefully you have a monitor driver installed. If not, it's time to do it. Right click anywhere on your desktop and choose properties, then choose settings, then advanced, then click the monitor tab. If it says under "monitor type" DEFAULT MONITOR" then click on properties then click the driver tab and choose update driver. Use the model and brand name off the sticker on your monitor to choose the closest match and install the driver and reboot (if your monitor isn't listed then try going to their website and getting the latest). After that is done (or if you find that your driver DIDN'T say default monitor) then you should now go back to the advanced monitor settings and click the "screen refresh rate" box and choose the highest setting possible. Let's say that setting is 100 for example. Now you go to your steam folder and your userconfig.cfg file and add this line

fps_max=105

Always set this value for 5 over your maximum refresh rate. Then add the following lines underneath that one:

rate 10000
cl_updaterate "30"
cl_cmdrate "20"
fps_modem "0"

NOTE: You may or may not have a userconfig.cfg file. If you don't then you need to create one in "notepad.exe" and save the file as:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\xxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx\condition zero\cstrike\userconfig.cfg

The xxxxx's above are your email address.

OK, now the fun part. You need to log into the Punx server when there is nobody there, like maybe 9 in the morning for example. Then go to console and enter "net_graph 1" this will turn on the FPS counter and you will see the FPS in either the top left or bottom right corner. If it is showing a number very close to the max_fps setting we made in the userconfig.cfg then you're all done. Nothing more to do. However, if it shows something less then you should tweak your settings. Open the console and try changing each of the three settings we made above (rate,
cl_updaterate, cl_cmdrate) to different values and then check the fps counter to see how it changes. Your job is to max the FPS value. I do this by changing the value and checking it both standing still and then running and I tweak it until it's perfect. Mine runs 105 consistently now unless there are network problems. When you are all done tweaking then go to your userconfig.cfg file and change the values there to the optimal ones so that they will always load this way. Note that these settings are optimal for Punx but if you start going to another server then you may find you need to do this for that server as well. But then again, only noobs leave Punx for other servers . Good luck!!!!

Werbung:

DiLLa

o fps maxing is by no means cheating...

i have done that stuff already lol you arent fucking with anything that aims for you ..or helping you see through things..its only getting the most outta ur comp and card...good post bro

rocklee

There is other things... Your video card will also determine what your max FPS is in the game. I have a GeForce 6800 Ultra, but I won't get more than 60 FPS in CZ. I'll get over a 100 in HL2, and CS:S. I have my fps max at 100 but because of my card and the way CZ was programmed, I won't get more than 60 FPS no matter what I do.

You could throw 10 smoke grenades in front of me and it still won't slow me down tho. I'll still have 60 FPS, tho for others smoke will dramatically bring down your rates.

When you test (as Puppet has suggested), buy a smoke grenade and check out your FPS and see how much it will be affected. As more models, players get in your view, your FPS may also be affected. During fire fights, some users may experience visual lag due to lower FPS during execessive activity on the screen.

You could also do this in your userconfig.cfg.

cl_weather 0

- This will turn off all weather affects in maps such as Aztec where it rains. That will also help increase your FPS.

So if you don't get more than 60 FPS, its your video card and not your settings. Just wanted to throw this out there because a friend of mine, and I have experienced this and theres pretty much nothing you can do about it beyond getting a new vid card.

deathgrip

Great post puppet i did it yesterday. I always ran at a steady 60 fps so not to bad. Now I am at my monitors maximum which is 90 fps. I also had to turn off my vertical sync to achieve the final result.
Thanks
DG

blze

i have the 6800 OC GT and cant get consistently over 65-70fps
in CZ, CS:S, or any HL game but run almost constant 100fps in
Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam/Mods. i thought it was my mobo,
so thx for the input rock.

.:EDIT:.

100fpsJPG.jpg

notice net_graph 3/ net_graphpos 3. pwnd.

.:SECOND EDIT = SMOKE:.

100fpssmoke.jpg

Divine_Wind

My cs tweaks...

*Hltoolz is a good program for Counter-Strike tweaking...

*Fps_Max "1000"

*Dont use net_graph it slows your fps down a bit..Use cl_showfps "1"..

*You must have Developer "1" in your userconfig

*I use cl_cmdrate 101 and cl_updaterate 101 more ping but the bullets connect better.

*Rate should be set atleast 9999.. (thats what i use)

*FPS_modem "1000" (same as fps_max)

*Vertical sync off if you want higher than 60 constant fps.. Vertical sync on gives you great picture quality and it improves your gameplay at the cost of fps..If you have a good vid card and can't get below 60 fps then keep vsync on so the game is smooth..

*Overclocking your video card

*High resolution 1024x768 atleast...This will lower your frames a little but it will improve your gameplay.

anything else?

{9toe} - ])!v!ne W!n])

imported_SuXoR

/Disclaimer

Remember life is a sequence of trade-offs, and such is the case with overclocking. On one hand you can overclock your CPU, RAM, and videocard in an effort to achieve performance of higher-end hardware on less expensive hardware at the expense of system stability, hardware failure, greater heat output, data corruption, and voided warranties.

/end Disclaimer

With that said, I am assuming that you are using a store bought system ie. Dell, Gateway, Compaq (ugh), e-machines (even worse), etc. Most of these systems have a BIOS that does not offer options to overclock your CPU and RAM. The BIOS options that are most useful for overclocking your CPU and RAM are voltage settings for CPU and RAM, front side bus speed, CPU multiplier, PCI and AGP bus speeds, and RAM to front side bus ratio. The most common method of overclocking your CPU and RAM is to crank up your front side bus (this is mosty due to the fact that the CPU multiplier is locked). If you have a P4 2.4a GHz, your default settings are 133 FSB with a multiplier of 18. If you turn up your FSB to 166, the resulting speed will be 2.98GHz. Usually one would have to increase the CPU core voltage to maintain stability. Note that older motherboards have PCI clocks that depend on the FSB speed. Back to the P4 example, the PCI bus should operate at 33MHz, which is derived by dividing the FSB by 4. When you turn the FSB up to 166, if there is no BIOS option to increase the PCI divisor, then the resulting PCI bus speed would jump up to 41.5MHz. This can cause problems with your AGP card, IDE drives, USB ports, and sound card.

You can also overclock your video card by increasing your GPU speed and memory speed. This method is best for store bought systems because it is done through software rather than through the BIOS. You first have to determine what video chipset you are running. Than do a search for an overclocking utility for that chipset ie. NVtune for Nvidia chipsets. It is helpful to be able to turn up your AGP voltage in the BIOS to increase the overclockability of your viseo card. You should keep in mind that both increased voltage and clock speed will increase heat output, so supplemental cooling is a must.

I must stop here, because there is no way that I can write out all that is involved in an overclocking project. Overclocking is a hit-and-miss endeavor. Results vary and are highly dependent upon the "luck of the draw." Just because one person can get good results on a particular piece of hardware, it does not mean that another person will get similar results with an identical piece of hardware. You must also increase speed a little bit at a time. Kick it up a notch and test it. If everything looks good, then turn it up some more. Repeat process. If you are still interested in overclocking, there are a plethora of information on the subject on the web. A good place to start is http://www.hardocp.com or http://www.anandtech.com

Puppet, if you want to overclock let me know what specific hardware you have and I will do my best to guide you through the process. Good luck and be safe :lol:

rocklee

As to what Suxor said, you should definitely not take overclocking lightly. You could end up with a bad burnt smell, which means you have to completely replace something. Overclocking should be done with care and alot of knowledge on the peice of hardware that is being overclocked.

Werbung:

Intro

Puppet said:
That's not a smoke grenade Blze has there. Notice the joint hanging out of his mouth while running from spawn?

Nade smoke, pot smoke, crack smoke, whatever..

They ALL make me lag like I was connecting from Israel. If I had it my way, one of you in-the-know guys would just come to my house and tweak my shit for me. I'm such a noob.

I'm gonna try and employ some of this good shit you all have been posting. Wish me luck. Or better yet, lish me wuck..