Balance Wars .10 Beta Update

TerranUp16

Well, I've barely even just begun and the new is good already =)

Currently, I've got race selection and unit selection systems in place, and will work on getting the hero selection in place soon.

I've also got the unit spawning system up. All of this is w/triggers atm, but by 1.0 it will all be JASS (can't wait til then; I already know of plenty of ways to use JASS to make this much more efficient). Currently though, the triggers are running efficiently. I've created my own system for spawning units (different from Frenzy's, which is what most people use) that better fits BW's needs, but that is also, ultimately more efficient.

Now, for those of you who don't know what the fuck BW is, I'll fill you in:

Initially, BW was a groundbreaking footmen wars map, though I must admit I was inspired by Footmen Frenzy, mainly due to their unbalances. It allowed players to select from 50+ heroes, and allowed players to choose not just one unit for their army, but duos. The map also introduced some other groundbreaking features, but the duos were the main attraction. Not only did the map support duos, but it was also army-based instead of hero-based. Thus, heroes fell into a support role, and not a "dominate all" mode.

The map received massive accolades and a 95%+ approval rating from those who played it. However, the map never made it out of the beta stages, and never got any circulation. I didn't push this at that time, as I had intended to wait for the 1.0 version. Well, I got distracted with GTW and never released that 1.0 version.

The time has come for me to get back to Balance Wars. Partly, because it's an excellent concept, an excellent map, and because we're all tired of DotA. Mostly though, it will offer me a chance to test extensively the base for the Guard Wars map for GTW. The Guard Wars will be a map similar to BW, but it will come with GTW, and use GTW systems, as well as receive some other goodies that BW won't have (like, GTW units, which definitely fit the basic concept of BW better than the WC3 ones).

However, Balance Wars will not be returning as it once was. It's getting totally rebuilt from the ground up. The first few beta versions will be using triggers, but I plan to recode everything into JASS as soon as I learn it (and I'll begin learning soon). Anyway, the basic concept still remains the same, but the overall design has evolved greatly. One of the big things that the original BW lacked was a tier system. I'm not a huge fan of the Frenzy tier system, but it sufficed for that particular map. I generally prefer to offer players a greater selection of units in order to breed a higher level of strategy, and much deeper depth. This time around, players will start out at Tier 1 with a choice of 4 units per a race (16 total ) to make their army. Players don't necessarily have to have two different units. Players can double-up on one unit if they wish. At Tier 2, two more units become available. Tier 2 units will not be "better" (I define how good a unit is by balancing both how often it spawns and its power; so, even if a unit is better 1on1, it will not necessarily be better overall, b/c it will spawn slower), but they will offer the player a more diverse choice. Generally, the higher one goes in the tiers, the longer the spawn times, but the more powerful the unit. New units is only one reason for upgrading to the next tier. Anyway, at Tier 3, two more units will become available. So, by Tier 3 you'll have 8 faction-specific units to choose from to create your own duo.

Here's the Human tech tree so you can see what I'm saying:
Tier 1 Choices- Militia, Militia Archer, Footman, Rifleman
Tier 2 Choices- Militia, Militia Archer, Footman, Rifleman, Swordsman, Archer
Tier 3 Choices- Militia, Militia Archer, Footman, Rifleman, Swordsman, Archer, Knight, Spell Breaker

Now, these won't be the only units available to a player. Players will also have access to all the other units from their faction. I term these units "support units". Why? They essentially offer support. Generally, these units are your Priests, Mortar Teams, and Gryphon Riders. These also vary by tier. So, by Tier 3 all Human units would be available to the Human player. Support units are bought as usual. You pay for each one you buy. Support units in BW though, unlike in other footmen wars games, will play a large role. For example, bases will not heal (though you'll still be able to go to the center to regen mana). This vastly increases the importance of units such as Priests. Also, abilities for support units may vary by tier. By this, I mean that at Tier 1, the unit might be able to cast only one ability. At Tier 2, a new ability may become available. At Tier 3, all abilities would be available. Essentially, the tiers will take over the job of the caster upgrades (ex- Priest Master Training). So, by going to Tier 2, it's like automatically researching Priest Adept Training. Also, support units will help to even the battlefield against enemies. Units in BW will not be immune to weaknesses and strengths. Each unit will have its own strengths and weaknesses. This is partly why I would deter players from getting "two of one unit" instead of getting two different units for their army. For example, the Rifleman has a very strong and effective attack, but its affect against a Footman is marginal, b/c the Footman has a perpetual Defend (Footmen start with Defend on, and feel no detriment from it; it is more or less a bonus of the unit). Players will need to compensate for this.

Now, heroes won't be lost in the mix either. Players will get hero points, which they can spend on new heroes. Everyone starts with one hero point, and everyone is forced to get a hero at the start of the game. Players can initially choose any of the four heroes from their faction. At Tier 2, another hero point will become available. Players can choose to use this now, or save it. If they use it, they can buy another regular hero. If they save it, when they get their next hero point at Tier 3, they'll be able to get a "Famous Hero". Each faction will have two famous heroes. These are heroes from the campaigns pretty much (rebalanced by moi). They are more powerful than a regular hero (but not as powerful a two regular heroes; however, what you lose in max power you gain in micro power; by that I mean that though two regular heroes are more powerful than a famous hero, it requires more micro management to use two regular heroes to their full extent than it does to use one famous hero to its full extent; it really just depends on your preference).

As if all that were not enough, there will also be upgrades. Of course, how could one forget about upgrades? There will be "basic" upgrades that each faction has. These are pretty much Attack and Defense upgrades. Players will be able to research a certain amount of these, and will then need to wait until they upgrade their tier to research more (once you get to Tier 3, there are no research restrictions). Then, there are two kinds of race-specific upgrades. There are also unit-specific upgrades (special upgrades that only affect the unit that you're currently using; if you're using two types of units, there will be two types of upgrades available, one for each type). Finally, there is the Hero Upgrade. This is a general upgrade that upgrades the stats of all of your heroes. This was used in the original BW, and was a great success. It basically allows players to beef up their heroes if they want, but at the cost of not beefing up their units.

Finally, players will have two towers. Tiers will influence these as well. Upgrading tiers will automatically upgrade your towers.

So, that's a lot about the map, and there is still yet even more, but this should be more than enough to offer a very deep insight into the map, and how it will function.

Also, the map is now, currently, ready for some basic, preliminary testing. If you're interested, please pm me.

Also, here is a link to download the original Balance Wars Beta F- Download BW Beta F

Werbung:

TerranUp16

Heh, thx.

I should also mention that it's ready for preliminary "pure balance" testing. "Pure balance testing" is basically balance testing with massively stripped-down features. I call it pure, b/c basically it will be only Human heroes and units. There will not be any upgrades yet, no items, no support units, no defenses, etc... (bases will atk though). Basically, I want to work on balance at its purest state, before I add all the goodies in. If a map isn't balanced on the pure level, it won't be balanced on the luxury level.

Anyway, preliminary testing will basically be testing Tier 1 Humans. This means that testers will simply select Humans as their race, choose 2 of 4 units to create their army, and select a hero. That's all they'll be getting. It will then be a pure fight to the death, with no add-ins. It's still fairly fun, lol, but the important thing is that it will greatly aide in balancing the map. As testers will see, I've chucked Blizzard balance to the wind, and have gone out on a limb, so I basically need to rebalance EVERYTHING, which is why the pure balance test will be so important.

TerranUp16

NEWS FROM THE TESTING GROUNDS!

"Pure Balance Testing" is under way, and we've already balanced out the first tier units for the humans. I also brought a screenshot =)

Viper

O sure use the screenshot of you pwning me how thoughtful of you.Anyway I'm free all weekend if you want help testing or w/e.

TerranUp16

Lol, that was the only one I took, as it was one of the few times when silence reigned.

Anyway, I'm adding in the tier 2 and tier 3 units (all available at tier 1, as we're not enabling tiers yet; tier 2 and tier 3 units are going to be balanced with tier 1 units, as all 8 units for each race will be balanced with each other; higher tiers just more or less offer more variety in terms of units to make up your army; you can get some pretty sick combos when combining higher tier units with lower tier units).

Shadarak

I had fun on that map, even if most of my guys get crumped good. I came out with a ton of gold (about more than 17k, to be precise *smug*).

I'll get a screenshot out whilst I'm looking about at the replay from our Testing, Terran, and show you my mass of units that I had prepared before I went and crumped Hydra.

Edit: Image taken. Link to pic is below,

"Now your DOOMED!" ~Grinch

TerranUp16

Lol. Ach, gold is useless atm, but it won't be soon enough, as testing is progressing well.

Btw, I had the defeat trigs in, just not the trigs to detect leavers. And I've already got the new units in, and functioning (I tested that in singleplayer).

Viper

Well when i left the game after terran dropped i had the most units spawned because of them being militia and terran had most units kills cause of him killing my militia hmm... any ways good so far.

Shadarak

I still enjoyed the Militia Archers mostly cause they supported the mass bulk of my force.

I'm gonna try Swordsmen and Militia Archers next version.

@Viper> Yeah, but I was whompin you the whole way until Terran started slipping into my turf in which I called back my forces to cream the invaders.

@Terran> What'll the next few races in that test map be?

TerranUp16

K, I just added in the leave-dection system, as well as an Observe option. I'm also currently adding in safeguards in case someone doesn't choose their race the entire game, as that would cause issues with the victory system.

Shadarak

Man. Didn't show up for the BWTesting today 'cause I was distracted with playing the Black Company campaign that I downloaded. Well, distractions can happen and, once I get settled in, I end up forgetting everything else.

Well I'm definetely not gonna miss the next testing (if there will be a next testing, that is).

Werbung: