A lesson

DigitalSword

Hey all,

I need one of our established gurus to please explain the difference between AGP and PCI video cards and what AGP and PCI is.

Also answer these questions:

Can I take my
128mb DDR Radeon 9700 Pro tv-out
which is currently in the AGP slot and place it into PCI?

I am asking this because:

My card supports AGP8x but my motherboard only supports AGP4x.
It kind of sucks when my vid card is restrained here.....will switching to a pci slot help or am I just stuck?

|DS|

Werbung:
you are stuck, they are difirent plugs.

AGP
PCI
PCIe

all have difirent pin locations, spacing issues ect. you can not swap them out at all. I had to buy a pci card for my old e-machine because it didnt evan have a agp. my old vaio had a 4x agp but more 8x cards are backwards compatable than not.

2 words, up grade

you can probably find a motherboard with a 8x slot that will take your existing CPU and ram cheaper than you can get a new video card. try tigerdirect.com, look up thier phone number and let thier l33t tech support tell you if they carry a board that has the socket/ram speed with the 8x slot.

DiLLa

yeh you have to have a pci slot in order for to work as pci plus you have to find out if that card even uses pci or i have no idea what im talkn about

Crisis

Okay here we go ::takes a deep breath::

1) For better or for worse you aren't loosing that much performance by having your 9700Pro running 4xAGP instead of 8x; while there is a large increase between AGP, AGP2x and AGP4x.

AGP: Advanced Graphics Port
PCI: Peripheral Component Interconnect

And new to the past couple of years is PCI-Express (which is different than PCI-X).

2) The bandwidth between AGP, PCI, and PCI-Ex vary greatly; bandwidth being the amount and speed of information that can be communicated between a device using AGP/PCI/PCI-Ex and the RAM and CPU. (This is simplified)

In terms of bandwidth (high is better) the chain of command goes:
PCI < AGP < PCI-Ex & PCI-Ex x16

PCI, is used for a large variety of different computer inputs, for example you have PCI cards for:
-TV Tuning
-Sound Cards (Like a Sound Blaster)
-Video Cards (Like your 9700Pro)
-Port Replicating cards (cards the give you USB ports, FireWire, USB2.0, etc…)
PCI is very universal, however it is slowly being phased out in new computers (this also goes for AGP) by PCI-Express.

AGP, is used only for video cards. While some cards, like the ATi All-in-Winder series allow you to have TV tuning functional on this port, you cannot use this port for any other type of computer components.

PCI-Express (PCI-Ex), this is the newest component connection standard. There are two versions, a version used solely for Video-Cards and one for more general purpose (but can also do video-cards).
PCI-Express allows for much greater bandwidth than either PCI or AGP currently allows. This means that you can have cards with more function and/or that work faster than older generations. An example of this would be the nVidia 7800GTX series video cards, these cards are only available for PCI-Ex x16 and it is nearly twice as fast as some of the older top end video cards. (The 7800GTX crushes the 6800 series cards and ATi x800 series)

Most modern motherboard and computers (at the high end) will usually have a couple PCI slots, a couple PCI-Express slots, and then one to two PCI-Express 16x graphics slots.

To my knowledge there are no adapters to convert between these different ports. On the bright side, if you wanted to up grade your computer slowly, there will be some motherboards produced which have both PCI-Ex x16 (for graphics cards only) and an AGP 8x slot. So you could keep your 9700Pro until you choose to buy a faster card later.

(Sorry it's 2:02am EST right now, I just watched Tears of the Sun so I may need to edit this post later; but everything should be spot-on)

keisorsoze

LizardKing said:
ya crisis is right, thats why my PCI-Express Radeon X700Pro 256MB video card KICKS SERIOUS ASS! and ya it ran me close to 300 :(

I have the same exact video card, are there any special settings this card should be at? What are your settings Lizard?

Werbung:

{Iceman}

Hey Crisis, tell me what you think of my new system, its PCI.

{Iceman}

PS: Its listed under subject "Iceman's Back" in General CS Talk.