Voice

Fladian

Last night when I was lying in bed without my radio on, I started to think again. That's usually my problem, during the weekend nights, no decent dj is on and when I have a lot of silence and a lot of free time, I start to think... more than I should. But I was thinking of something specific this time.

Is it possible to explain how a voice sounds? Despite the usual examples of "a soft voice," or "a hollow voice," none are very specific. Is it possible to try to let people imagine something? They usually end up with something subtle as what I mentioned earlier.

I cannot recall, I've ever saw anyone explain someone's voice before, mainly because it was of no importance, but then my question appears, is it even possible to do something like that?

Werbung:

Fladian

That isn't what I was referring to (if I was, then it wouldn't be fit in this section of the forum). I was referring to the point of how to explain them in words, within a story.

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Oh....well I better read where things are posted in more often :p
Right, some adjectives for voice:
-raspy
-rough
-gruff
-dry
-heavenly
-sweet
-high (pitch)
-low (pitch)
-deep
-quiet
-loud
-monotone

You could also go with the classic "and a voice to match"
Basically you describe the character's personality, and the voice matches it.
Finally, you can also use "word choice" to describe voice...but it's not the best way.