losing playing ability completely

Celshock MP5

I have had a problem downloading maps for the past month. At first I couldnt download a couple maps, now that worm has changed something in dust2 and I need to dl I cant even play dust2. If I have to download anything onto my pc from the game my pc will shut down cz completely. I've tried reinstalling both cz and steam entirely, that didnt work. I turned off all my anti-mal, anti-spyware devices and even turned off my windows firewall. My microsoft media player is also effected, or so it seems. If I watch a video on a video site media player will buffer the video then begin, then sometimes the vid will stop and start buffering again. This never happened before, my pc is pretty decent and it would normally buffer one time then you could watch the whole video nonstop without any pauses/lagging. I dont know what to do, I've tried practically everything, and now I cant even play dust2... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Werbung:

Celshock MP5

Looks like its just this server. I can go to other servers and dl stuff. I even downloaded a map... is there a program that I may be missing that will allow me to dl maps from punx?? This only started recently and I've never had any problems until now.

Casualty

no you dont need a program. and your issue is confusing becuase you ahve noticed problems with wmp also and not jsut cz. you said you deleted steam but did you actually delete everything? or jsut uninstall from windows?

blze

sounds like there is some kind of ghost file in your steamapps folder that isnt deleted when you uninstall steam, kind of like a cookie IE file or something that is specific to punx server, maybe. if i am right, i have no idea what to start looking for, sry.

uninstall steam and cz, also go to c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ and delete the folder with your steam name on it. then reinstall.

before you reinstall you may want to do a full system scan for any virus's and/or malware. I know your antivirus probably picks stuff like that up automatically, but try it anyways.

Celshock MP5

Casualty said:
no you dont need a program. and your issue is confusing becuase you ahve noticed problems with wmp also and not jsut cz. you said you deleted steam but did you actually delete everything? or jsut uninstall from windows?

I went to a video site and had no problems so maybe that doesnt pertain anymore... It is just cz and it is just punx server, I was able to dl pooday from another server yesterday without any problems. but if I try to dl a map from punx the sound starts skipping and the game just closes.

To uninstall steam I went into: control panel>> add/remove programs>>uninstall steam.

rocklee

You then have to do this:

TonyMontana135420 said:
uninstall steam and cz, also go to c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ and delete the folder with your steam name on it. then reinstall.

before you reinstall you may want to do a full system scan for any virus's and/or malware. I know your antivirus probably picks stuff like that up automatically, but try it anyways.

With emphasis on the DELETION of the folder.

Hope this helps.
-Rock

Celshock MP5

Well I uninstalled the game again and deleted the entire valve folder that had the steamapps folders in it. That didnt fix the problem. One thing I noticed is that when the game closes I am gettin a popup immediately afterwards. Could this be the problem? If so how do I get rid of it? My pc has been like this for pretty long time so your regular pos popup blockers and removers arent gonna cut it. I might need some US Army fuck you up popup blocker lol. tx for all the help guys. I havent been able to play on punx for weeks. I think were almost there!! I have kaspersky as well as adaware as well as ewido. and none of them is able to get rid of whatever it is causing the problem.

Casualty

which pop-up are you getting? also use spybot(its a average one) but it always finds stuff nothing else will. secondly have you ever heard of v codec?

you're better off using more than one malware detection program, i use spybot and adaware.

oh yeah, if you see anything to do with cool web search on your comp, then just reinstall windows and save yourself the aggravation.

Celshock MP5

Well I uninstalled everything last night, scanned with ewido, scanned with adaware, kaspersky and even bought some spyware doctor. I still cant get on punx. I still get the onaidaserve popup. This is retarded. lol

What do you mean cool web search Tony?

Celshock MP5

Casualty said:
which pop-up are you getting? also use spybot(its a average one) but it always finds stuff nothing else will. secondly have you ever heard of v codec?
I had spybot but removed it, should I get it again? And I've never heard of v codec, Im listening hehe.

when you run spybot search and destroy, it'll give you a description or the type of malware on your machine. if it's coolwebsearch, just reinstall windows. there are other ways to check out whats bugging your machine by going into your registry, but if your not comfortable with navigating through there, don't. you can do more harm than good.

there may also come a time (probably soon) that you'll just get fedup and want to reinstall windows all together. it's not the end of the world, just make sure you backup all of your data before you reinstall if you take that route.

Werbung:

WoRm5406

Celshock MP5 said:
Well I uninstalled everything last night, scanned with ewido, scanned with adaware, kaspersky and even bought some spyware doctor. I still cant get on punx. I still get the onaidaserve popup. This is retarded. lol

What do you mean cool web search Tony?

Go to safe mode.

Run A/V scan.

(There is NO reason at all that any of these things should stop you.)

Reboot.

UNLOAD ALL ANTIVIRUS AND ADAWARE PROGRAMS.

Try again to login to server.

(Next step (btw) is to format c:\)