"Against All Odds" an alternate history novel.

E

Elite SEAL

hey -I'm working on a novel(/novella) for school, and made this up -it's like a combination of Tom Clancy and John Birmingham.

Story:

In 2020 a top secret Naval scientific project accidentally transports a multinational Naval force led by U.S. assets to 1986 -right in the middle of the Cold War. With immediate threat of the Iron Curtain expanding westward -battle begins...and history is changed.

Werbung:

Jordan B

Cool story bro ?

xD

Sounds nice, I've been working on a novel for some time aswell. Good luck, and stick with it man .

rocktrns

Wow sounds nice already.
That sentence led me in to read more and more.
If you can when your done with the story may you post it on here?
Good Job Elite.

BossMaroni

I'm definitely looking forward to reading this. I hope you'll post it, or at least PM it to those of us who ask.

Have you read anything by Harry Turtledove? He's more or less the alternate history MASTER. I'm pretty sure he has some ghost writers though, because NO ONE could write as much as he seems to write.

E

Elite SEAL

Wow sounds nice already.
That sentence led me in to read more and more.
If you can when your done with the story may you post it on here?
Good Job Elite.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading this. I hope you'll post it, or at least PM it to those of us who ask.

um... The story has to be at least 10 chapters -but I plan on more probably.

Have you read anything by Harry Turtledove? He's more or less the alternate history MASTER. I'm pretty sure he has some ghost writers though, because NO ONE could write as much as he seems to write.

I haven't read any of his books -haven't heard of him.

BossMaroni

Check out The Guns of the South if you can. It's an alternate history of the U.S. Civil War. The cover of the book shows Robert E. Lee* holding an AK-47, which pretty much says it all.

* For those who may not know U.S. history, Lee was the commander of Confederate Army (aka The South) in the U.S. Civil War, which took place in the 1860s.

Miran_Eitan

Alt History is kind of a touchy subject. People love to do it in Sci-Fi as it makes for an easy cop-out when it comes to world design. When you have great writers like Jack McDevitt, Robert Heinlienn and even Tom Clancy, who go out and make these massive universes that most of their books conform to, it's hard to match up with something like that. Tolkien is a great example as well.

I've never really taken Alt History with much respect after I read through "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". Guns of the South was like an 80s movie turned into a book. Originally it was a short story and they worked to try and lengthen it into a novel. Felt too patched together for my tastes.

Anyway, if you don't have much in the way of writing experience, starting out with alt history is as good of a place as any I suppose. The Cold War is kind of an interesting subject idea however. 1986 is when the cold war really started to close, not the middle. The middle was around the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. That was probably the closest we were to an actual war.

E

Elite SEAL

Alt History is kind of a touchy subject. People love to do it in Sci-Fi as it makes for an easy cop-out when it comes to world design. When you have great writers like Jack McDevitt, Robert Heinlienn and even Tom Clancy, who go out and make these massive universes that most of their books conform to, it's hard to match up with something like that. Tolkien is a great example as well.

I've never really taken Alt History with much respect after I read through "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". Guns of the South was like an 80s movie turned into a book. Originally it was a short story and they worked to try and lengthen it into a novel. Felt too patched together for my tastes.

Anyway, if you don't have much in the way of writing experience, starting out with alt history is as good of a place as any I suppose. The Cold War is kind of an interesting subject idea however. 1986 is when the cold war really started to close, not the middle. The middle was around the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. That was probably the closest we were to an actual war.

Glad to know I'm starting in the right place. Oh, and I guess your right looking back on it -the middle really would have been around the Cuban Missile Crisis...so maybe I could still have it in 1986 and put something like -"The Cold War was winding down, but new information from the future adds kindling to a dying fire."

so how bout this: In 2020 a top secret Navy scientific project accidentally transports a multinational fleet led by U.S. Naval assets to 1986 -the Cold War was winding down, but new information from the future adds kindling to a dying fire. Information has made it to both the hands of the NATO countries...and the USSR. With immediate threat of the Red Curtain casting a shadow over western Europe -suspense builds, battle begins...and history is changed.

holy crap! That sounds like 76 percent better than my original!!:thumbup:

I will try to work on this novel/novella as much as possible, but keep in mind people that I have an entire semester to do this...but I plan on finishing it a little before that. I'll probably have it done by Christmas Break, so you guys can see it.

the only problem is... I can't just post God knows how many chapters worth of information on here -so should I have an attachment to a word document?

E

Elite SEAL

Check out The Guns of the South if you can. It's an alternate history of the U.S. Civil War. The cover of the book shows Robert E. Lee* holding an AK-47, which pretty much says it all.

* For those who may not know U.S. history, Lee was the commander of Confederate Army (aka The South) in the U.S. Civil War, which took place in the 1860s.

I most definitely knew that before, cause I had US History last year in 8th grade, but knew that even before that cause I had seen Gods and Generals and Gettysburg amazing videos.

Master_7

To do this book properly, make sure you do the proper research when referencing military equipment and abilities.

I suggest you read "Red Storm Rising", this will help give you insight into 80s military equipment.

E

Elite SEAL

To do this book properly, make sure you do the proper research when referencing military equipment and abilities.

I suggest you read "Red Storm Rising", this will help give you insight into 80s military equipment.

I have been researching a lot -like for example -I had to do research on Russian Navy ranks for a 21stC(21st Century) ship captain and Russian Naval ship prefixes, and I had to find out about modern German Navy Frigates, and found out about how they are planning for a new class, projected to be ready by 2014 -I was like -"JACKPOT!!"

other research included reviewing maps of the Soviet Union at the time, and where places such as Ramstein AFB is, and the boundaries of East Germany, Research on Nike missles, etc.

Having read a couple of Tom Clancy books helps slightly with the different classes of Russian submarines -Typhoon, Oscar, Alpha, etc. (those are NATO names)

about Red Storm Rising -is it very long, cause I don't have a whole lot of time

Master_7

not to bad... it deals mostly with Tank warfare and how Nato would deal with Russia's 30K plus tank arsenal during the time...

E

Elite SEAL

not to bad... it deals mostly with Tank warfare and how Nato would deal with Russia's 30K plus tank arsenal during the time...

how did they in the book?

Oh yeah, The M1A1 Abrams was around at the time, right? The A2 was later i know.

Werbung:
Wow, your idea sounds Kick ass.
If you do post it here, put it in a PDF.
Also for military information: Wikipedia
It may not be the most accurate, but hey its not bad.
It will give you some ideas and such. (that's if you need them)