1gb of ram and still slow

lundayy

Hey i have 1Gb of ram. The game loads really slow but then i get to lobby with no lag or anything. Click a match... it takes like 10-15 minutes to load. And even when i get in the game some sound doesn't work.. like my gun. or other people shooting or whatever? i need help. and i have 1gb so whats up?:mad:

Werbung:

Seawied

why do people think throwing in more ram automatically makes everything better? Seriously, its slightly more complicated than that

what are your system specs?

caleeb12

Hey i have 1Gb of ram. The game loads really slow but then i get to lobby with no lag or anything. Click a match... it takes like 10-15 minutes to load. And even when i get in the game some sound doesn't work.. like my gun. or other people shooting or whatever? i need help. and i have 1gb so whats up?:mad:

As Manager said. More RAM will result in cleaner gameplay. I have 3GB and it's fine.

caleeb12

why do people think throwing in more ram automatically makes everything better? Seriously, its slightly more complicated than that

what are your system specs?

If you had half a brain you would know that the game wouldn't open if he didn't have the right specs. As long as he doesn't have 1.3Ghz of processor speed it will be fine with just more RAM.

Seawied

If you had half a brain you would know that the game wouldn't open if he didn't have the right specs. As long as he doesn't have 1.3Ghz of processor speed it will be fine with just more RAM.

you're an idiot and don't know shit about computers.

ok let me spell it out for you.

RAM DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR LOBBY LOADING SCREEN

RAM, or Random Active Memory, is pieces of memory your computer grabs for running multiple programs. It is a very TINY factor in the greater picture of things. I guarentee you, your computer NEVER uses all 4 gigs of RAM. Furthermore, you have Windows XP caleeb, which means you're a numbskull for buying 4 gigs of RAM as Windows XP (and all 32 bit operating systems) ONLY SUPPORT UP TO 3 GIGS OF RAM.

How does your computer work

You can a central processing unit (your CPU) which is your computers work horse. This chip computes all data going anywhere in your computer at some point or another. Your CPU is responsible for loading data and rendering all images in game. Your CPU uses built in memory for this. Most modern chips primarily use their built in cache (only computers on the market that don't have a cache are the old Intel Celerons), which is like RAM, except 100 times faster since its physically on the chip, and your computer does not have to go far to grab it.

RAM is more inefficient. RAM is physically a different chip altogether. This means that the CPU has to ask your motherboard to send data from a different section. Here's an example

Your computer wants to make a sandwich. If you had a very good, well stocked kitchen at home you could just walk in and make a sandwich in all of 5 seconds. But say you have a crappy kitchen, so in order to make a sandwich you need to drive all the way down the street to subway, have them make the sandwich, and then take it home to eat. Obviously with a better kitchen, the process is faster.

In this metaphor, your cache is the kitchen and your RAM is subway.

another bottleneck that can be slowing you down is your hard drive. Its not the SIZE of your hard drive, but its interface and spin speed. If you are using a laptop, your spin speed will probably be around 5400 RPM at high performance, and maybe 4200 to save power. Your hard drive is actually a disc with millions of bits of data written around it in a circle. It accesses the data like a record by spinning. Faster spin speeds= faster access to the data. If you had a 7200 rpm SATA2 hard drive, this probably isn't a choke point. If you have a SSD (solid state disc), this definitely isn't a choke point since the read time would be virtually instantaneous by today's standards.

I guarentee you, your hard drive read speed and your CPU speed/cache are much greater chokepoints than 1 gig of RAM, as most programs on windows XP don't use much more than that.

Now here's another break down on why adding more RAM won't make your computer faster

When your CPU's cache is used up at the moment, it calls in for extra help from your RAM. Most of the time, this is a very small amount of memory. If you have 4 gigs of ram, chances are 2 and a half of them are never used. EVER. Especially not with Combat Arms. Your extra RAM is just sitting there, gathering dust and not contributing to your computer at all. Having more RAM does not make the process to gather your RAM faster. Faster RAM speed (i.e. DDR2 over regular DDR and DDR3 over both DDR and DDR2) does.

Now that is the incredibly dumbed down explaination on why more RAM does not make your computer faster. And if you STILL don't believe me, download a program that monitors your RAM usage, and tell me how many times it spikes up to 4 gigs used. I'll save you the trouble: 0.

I have 2 gigs of DDR3 RAM, and the only two programs that have ever used up all the RAM are Adobe Photoshop CS3 and GTA4. (Side note: GTA4 only uses so many system resources because its so sloppily ported)

Seawied

Also. you're an idiot for thinking Ghz has shit to do with how fast your computer speed is. I bet you if I under clock my C2D down to 1.3 ghz, its still faster than your computer

caleeb12

Also. you're an idiot for thinking Ghz has shit to do with how fast your computer speed is. I bet you if I under clock my C2D down to 1.3 ghz, its still faster than your computer

Not. I have 3GB of RAM and 3.0Ghz of processor. Plus an nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB graphics card. My dad works with computers, so I know what I'm talking about. But it's apparent to me that you are just an idiot.

Seawied

Not. I have 3GB of RAM and 3.0Ghz of processor. Plus an nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB graphics card. My dad works with computers, so I know what I'm talking about. But it's apparent to me that you are just an idiot.

ahahahah, you obviously don't. I guarentee you my computer would still run faster. You got a bargin bin graphics card (that was NEVER top of the line), and you state "I have 3.0ghz of processor"

again how much juice you have running through your processor these days isn't nearly as important as what kind of processor it is. 35nm processors don't need more power running through them and are infinitely faster than 65 nm ones (the one which you probably have)

@illspirit, interesting bit about the RAM with onboard and without onboard. I'll have to read up on that one. Never tested it myself simply because I've never found a need to have more than 1.5 gigs of ram on windows XP.

Seawied

LOL, I'm not wrong.

are you serious? fine do my challenge then. Post your system specs.

I'll guarentee you that my "measley" 2 gigs of ram and my CPU underclocked to 1.3 ghz will be faster than your computer in combat arms. In fact I'll even flat out state that I will probably have 40% higher FPS than yours.

If you're right, you won't hesitate from this challenge.

I'll even put money down on this competition. How does 100 bucks sound?

Werbung:

Miran_Eitan

lol...

As a computer tech, I do have to say, the primary thing I tell people to toss in their computers after a decent graphics card is more memory. The type does make a difference also. I prefer Corsair XMS, personally... but you'll see about a 5-10Frames per second increase per about 512 you throw in, for most modern shooters. Excluding COD-4. COD-4 was so well designed that it could probably run on my cellphone without lag.

You can't however get more than 3 gigs in XP-32bit, and 4gigs in Vista 32. Hense why I upgraded to 64...then my computer exploded, but that's another story.

If you wanna get a bargin bin graphics card, go out and buy an 8800GT. They're down to like 90 dollars now. *twitches* I bought mine for 300 and it's still able to run most games on medium-high graphics as long as I don't turn up shadows.

And Seawied, be nice to the kid, he probably hasn't even SEEN a hundred dollars in one place yet.