Orcs are coming

Undead_Lives

Story I've been working on in wc3c, but since im here i might as well post it here too...
I have yet to finish it, so when i do...ill post in both
A few words first off:
1. This story has different sides to it, its told by different characters
2. This story is written as i go along, no outlines :p
3. I know, bad title. But is suck at titles so... :p
4. Its not done. Not nearly.
ANYWAYS here it is

Dammit, I woke up again. Why couldn't I just slip off into death? Something was holding me back in this world, I could feel it pulling. But what?
It only took a few minutes for me to get my answer.
Apparently Orcs were invading our great country. Well, great from most people's view (not mine). And of course, because of the orc's numbers, they needed the militia.
It seemed like a different lifetime when I was general of the militia. All those years ago, one small mess-up, and I was out of the military for good. I believe that it was then that I started wanting to die. My life had no meaning. But maybe I was being given a second chance?
I ran outside to meet the soldiers. They were handing out the forms for men to come to the training camps. A soldier caught my eye. He was my captain in the last war. I wonder what he was doing here?
Again, I didn't have to wait long for my answer. My old captain, Hever was his name, approached me.
"Nice to see you again, Nevra. Have you been feeling well?" he said. He sounded like he was being nice, very unlike Hever. He was as cold as the frost on your nose in winter.
"I didn’t die today, so no I'm not feeling well." That startled him. Now I just had to get to the point. "What do you want?" I asked.
"I see you haven't changed. Well, all the better. You've been given a personal request. To be general again," he replied.
"What the *beep* would the King want with a washed-out, land-losing, retired general like me?"
"He wants your help. He knows you’re the best, and personally, I agree."
I thought about it for a moment. Last time I got caught up in a war, I had been the scapegoat for the King's bad decision. I didn't want to be that again. But, the military would give me something to do, and maybe I would even die before the King could blame me again.
"What's the pay?" I asked. It didn't really matter to me though; I had made up my mind.
"Double since you were last general."
Double! Now we were talking. The pay last time was very nice, I guessed that this was the way of the King saying sorry. Typical for a king.
"Well in that case, I'll take the job, Captain."
"Oh, I'm a general also. You and I will manage the militia forces, together.
Well, I guess this was for political reasons. People would be wondering why a general like me could lead an army by himself, with no supervision.
"Seems like a few things have changed. Oh well, as long as we're clear on one thing, General."
"What would that be?"
"You still listen to me."
He thought about that for a moment. It probably troubled him, but I didn't care.
"Agreed. After all, you are one of the best."
"That I am. So what's the situation?"
"Orcs are coming."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When I heard that Orcs were invading again, I got ready to leave. My sister was asking me why, and I didn't really say. I just said that it was my business. I couldn't tell her the truth, she wouldn't let me go.
It was after our parents died that my older sister decided that she was the boss. We lived in a small village, far from the capital, and we didn't have many neighbors, so it was just my older sister and I.
That was one of the reasons I wanted to leave. I wanted to see more of the world, and see people other than my sister. But, that wasn't the only reason.
The true reason was because my father had been a famous captain. He had never lost a battle. Until one fateful day, when an assassin beat him in the battle for his life.
Our mother had died in childbirth, giving birth to me. My father never talked about her, and neither does my sister. In fact, we don't talk about our parents at all.
When I realized that the recruiting soldiers were never coming to our town, I grabbed my stuff, and started for the door. My sister stopped me before I could walk out.
"And just where do you think your going?" she asked.
"Off to join the militia, and become a captain, just like our father."
She was shocked to hear that. A long silence set in. I started for the door once more, but she broke in after the first step.
"Beran... I don't want you dying like our father..."
"I won't. I promise that I'll come back. But I have to go, Seria. It's just something I have to do."
"I knew this day would come," she murmured. She paused and then said, "You keep your promise, or I will never forgive you."
"I promise."
"Take care, Beran."
"I will."
And then, I finally walked out the door.

It was a long journey to the capital, and I didn't have much to go on. But my father trained me well. Not just about being a captain, and how to use a sword. But also how to survive in the forest. So I survived.
When I got there, I asked around about where to sign up for the army. Finally someone told me that the sign up was in front of the castle main gate, so that’s where I headed. When I got there, I saw only a few people in line. Finally, it was my turn.
“Name and age please,” the lady at the counter said.
“Beran Novum, seventeen years old,” I replied.
“Novum? Are you the son of Teral Novum?”
“Uh, yes I am. Did you know him?”
“Everyone in the kingdom knows him. Well, anyways, you are qualified to take part in the militia. Here is where you will go for training.” She handed me a piece of paper, and I went off.
So, orcs were coming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just another day in the life for me, Hester Darkritch. Another batch of young, inexperienced fools that think war is all roses that I had to train. Well, at least I could hope for a good general.
And just as I was thinking, the general rode in. Once he was off his horse and I saw his face, I nearly gasped.
“General Nevra Fieldmont. Nice to see you again,” I said instead.
“Don’t give me that, Hester. We both know the situation. Let’s just get one thing clear, I don’t like it anymore than you do, but war is what I do best. So lets just get the training over with.”
“Yes sir.”
“How many have arrived?”
“Close to three hundred men, sir, and more still coming.”
“Well, looks like numbers have gone down.”
“Oh no sir, there are more in General Hever Backroot’s half of the militia.”
“They split up the training? Well, that means that we must have more numbers than last time. Good.”
I saw a pack of horses in the distance. I knew what that meant.
“Ah yes, here come more recruits now sir.”
“Well, I’ll let you deal with them Hester. I will go survey the camp.”
“Yes sir.”
By the time Hester arrived at the check in, the new recruits were almost already accounted for. So, I looked over the list. And then I heard something peculiar.
“Beran Novum.”
I was shocked. Could it be…?
“What did you say?” I asked.
“Beran Novum, sir. That’s my name.”
“Are you the son of Captain Teral?”
“Yes sir.”
“Well, very good, proceed.”
Indeed, it was very good. It looked to me as if the militia had a captain-in-making. This might not be such a boring day after all.

Part 2

~Beram
Training began immediately. It was very hard, even compared to the labors of a farmer. It was like the general was expecting to have orcs upon us any day, and every day was crucial, life-saving. Today we were learning tactics instead of having a break. Well, at least we got to sit down.
General Fieldmont was hardly around for the training. He was always doing something, and only came to the training to see how Darkritch was doing. He looked like a ghost, living out his past over and over. His weary, sagged eyes screamed of experience, and ...something else. Like he was only here because he thought this would be the end of him.
Our Training Captain, Hester Darkritch, was the only one that seemed to like his job. Maybe that was because he got to stay safe, while the ones he trained got to go and give up their lives. Or maybe it was because someone he trusted was here.
That put aside, Training Captain Darkritch was extremely good at his job. After all of the sword training groups, I was beginning to use my sword without thinking. It became more like, a part of me, than any thing else. It was like using a sword was a gift I had inside of me all along.
"And that is how you counter a full-on attack. Good, class dismissed," said Hester. Class was over, and night was only one hour away. I was starving, I realized. Dinner would be good tonight.
"Beram Novum," said an all-too familiar voice. I turned around to see General Fieldmont standing behind me.
"Yes sir, what can I do for you sir?"
"Come with me."
I followed him to a tent that was large enough to fit twenty men. I realized this was the general's tent.
When we got inside, I noticed that he had quite a few more luxuries than that of an ordinary soldier. A writing desk, a very comfortable looking chair, and a few shelves of books.
"I did not summon you hear so you could gape at my tent. Sit down, Beran." I did so.
"How old were you when your father died?"
"About six, sir."
"Did you know him very well?"
"Not really, sir. But my sister told me a lot about him."
"I see, well young Beram, I have a gift for you."
"A gift, sir?"
"Yes, a gift. This."
He brought out a sword from behind his desk. It was a very beautiful sword, there was gold engraving on it, and the sword itself was made of the finest steel.
"Do you know what this is?"
"No, sir."
"This was your father's sword. He used it in every battle. It was recovered after he died. It belongs to you, now. I think you are ready to use it."
I was stunned, for two reasons. The first, at my father's sword, but the second, was how did the general know my skills when I hardly saw him around?
As if reading my mind, the general said, "Hester gives me reports every day. He is very impressed with you. You are ready to wield this sword, Beram."
"Thank you very much, sir."
"You are quite welcome. Now, go and get some food, then some rest. You have another hard day ahead of you."
"Yes sir."
As I walked out of the tent, my mind was focused on my father. The little I could remember of him was... well, little. But I do remember him as strong, and tough. My sister told me he was also very wise, and respected. At that moment, I knew I wanted to be just like him.
My stomach gurgled. I had forgotten how hungry I was. I ran to get my dinner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

~Nevra
After the boy Beram had left, I sat down on my very comfortable chair. The cushions for these general chairs had improved since I was last general. Of course, it had been quite a few years since that disaster had happened.
It was a morning I would never forget, could not forget. It was the reason I became so cold and angry.
The bright sun shone off of my breastplate. Orcs were coming our way, and if we beat them here, it would end the war. My plan assured us of victory. But somehow, it went horribly wrong.
It was as if they anticipated our every move, new every strategy before it ever happened. We lost the battle, with many casualties. I ordered a retreat.
When we got back to camp, I told my men my plan. I said it was impossible for the few of us surviving to stand up to the might of that army. So I told my men to warn every village to flee for their lives to the safety of the capital. I was going straight for the capital, to warn the king.
In the end, our plan succeeded. Most of the villager’s lives were spared. There were only a few maniacs who thought they could hold of an army with a pitchfork.
From then on, I was a disgrace. I had run for my life, and worse, lost valuable land. But they didn't see the other side to it. I had also saved many villagers’ lives, and the lives of my surviving men. But they never see it the way they should. So I was forced into retiring, and spent my days on a farm away from the capital. Well, until orcs attacked again.
My thoughts were interrupted rather rudely. A soldier burst into my tent.
"Sir! There were orcs sighted only fifteen miles from here!" exclaimed the soldier.
I knew this day would come. I just wish it didn't have to be so soon.
"Gather the men. Wake them up with the horns if you must. Just get them ready."
"Yes sir!"
I walked out of my tent. I had to do something before the orcs came.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

~Hester
Training these men was not proving difficult. Most seemed ready, some even willing. But there were always those who would rather not be here. Those were the men I did not like.
However, not many of those were in this training camp. They seemed to have gone to the other militia training force. That suited Hester Darkritch quite nicely.
However, even with all the training in the world, nothing could have prepared him for what happened this night. The general came to his tent.
"Hester, the orcs have been spotted fifteen miles from here."
"Really? They have come so soon? Well, you must get ready, sir."
"I am. Hester, I want you to be the first Captain of the militia force."
I was in complete shock. I couldn't work my mouth anymore. Maybe, because there was nothing I could say.
"You have the qualifications. You know strategies and tactics inside and out, you know all of the men very well. Hester, I need you to be Captain. Will you lead these men?"
I thought about it for a moment. Leading these men. Maybe to their deaths. But I could also become famous, maybe even get promoted further. And that would mean more pay. But, it was also my dream. To become a great Captain. I decided to do it.
"Good. Put these garments on, and hurry. We must prepare for the attack."
"Yes sir."
"I'll see you soon, Captain."
Captain Hester Darkritch. I liked the sound of that.

Werbung:

Kem Rixen

2. This story is written as i go along, no outlines :p
[/b]
I plan to read this tomorrow after school but this really caught my eye. I was under the impression that nobody besides myself wrote like that. I useally just think of a first sentence and off I go, eventually I run out of ideas and end it. I'm just happy to see that someone else writes like I do.

KingZeus

Mine are written same way I just make it up as I go and hope I remember it by the time I start writing it again which is usually 3 to 4 months.

Fladian

I was under the impression that nobody besides myself wrote like that. I useally just think of a first sentence and off I go, eventually I run out of ideas and end it. I'm just happy to see that someone else writes like I do.
[/b]
Don't feel too special, JetPack. A lot of people do it that way, including myself. Recently I am trying it differently; but even though it becomes better it takes at least 10 times as long. By the time I got two paragraphs, I could have finished half of a story.

Undead_Lives, I got that problem often as well. If I'm not mistaking, I mixed up the names of 'Caitlin' and the other girl (not Claes) in the 'If, and only if' story. If not, then I corrected myself more times than I could remember. Not to mention that I eventually changed their names because I kept getting confused. In all honestly, I forgot who 'Caitlin' was now :p Was it the lil' kid or the older one :p

Undead_Lives

Good, glad to see im not the only one crazy :p
btw...new info on the story.
so far i posted 2 parts, out of (i believe) 7.
so, i got some work to do, will post up parts 3 and 4 when done.

EDIT: part 3 is here :D

Part 3

~Beram
We had one day to prepare before the orcs arrived at our training camp. In that one day, we had to make it a fortress. It wasn’t easy.
As just another soldier, I had to help out with the creation of the fortress. Which was to say, I put large pikes in the ground around the training camp.
The work was endless. Dig hole. Put pike in hole. Fill hole. My shift ended a little after lunchtime, and I was ready to collapse. Partly from hunger, partly from exhaustion.
And then, they came.
It was like a solid block of orcs, the scouts said they numbered almost five hundred, which meant they outnumbered us at least by a hundred. The toughest part of the day was yet to come.
As I sat down to eat my lunch, the final preparations were made. Afterward, the orcs came almost in bowshot. They had had a hard day of marching, and were weary, so they decided to rest, and tomorrow would be the battle. Tomorrow decided many things.
I walked over to the general’s tent to see if I was to be given any more instructions. I wasn’t going there to see the general. The captain, Darkritch hung out there, and he gave the soldiers the orders.
From now on, we were soldiers. Or at least, that was what the general had said in his speech this morning…
“Men, we are all in this together. From now on, we are all soldiers in this war. We must stand together, or we will fall. We must remain undeterred in the hardships that I guarantee you will come. We must remain strong.”
That part really stuck out to me. I guess it was because that might well be my death wish.
When I got to the general’s tent, I walked in and automatically saluted.
“Sir, ready for more orders, sir,” I said.
“Ah yes, Beran Novum, you have no further orders. None of the men do. We must keep up our strength, so rest long and well. Tomorrow you will need it.”
“Yes sir.”
I walked out of the general’s tent, and headed for my own. It was time to go easy, though I would still spend the remainder of the day practicing with my sword. After all, tomorrow would be the fight for my life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Hester
“Quite mature for such a young age, don’t you think?” I said.
“Yes, quite. Now, back to what I was saying,” said the general.
What he was saying were his battle plans. Right now, we were out numbered, and out matched, but we had the fortress. And quite a few good archers.
“We need some kind of wall, to give the archers some height advantage,” said the general.
“Well, we could start building right away-”
“No, it would take too long. We need a quick fix. Something that will do for the time being.”
“What about those tanks? They won’t be any help in the defense, and they are quite large.”
“Brilliant! Yes, have platforms made on top of them, and get them behind the wall right away.”
“Yes sir.”
As I walked out, I was searching for names in my head to use for the project. Working my way towards the soldier’s tents, I searched for the men I intended to use. This was going to be a long day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Nevra
As Hester left, my mind wandered for a moment. I started to think about Beram’s father. I started to think about the day he died… It was a day I remembered well. I lost my best captain that day.
It was an ordinary procedure. The plan was to lure them in, and then flank them with the cavalry. But my opponent was very well trained. He saw it coming, and killed my cavalry before they could strike. That is where Teral Novum lost his life.
Well, it was no good dwelling on the past. Besides, there was an attack to deal with, here and now. Learn from your mistakes, and never repeat them. That day I learned to never underestimate my opponent. Ever.
Trying to get my mind off of old times, I looked over my battle plans once more. They seemed sound enough. The main objective was to secure the “fortress” so we could later lead an attack, when we were ready and training was complete. The way we would do this was to let them come at us, and let the riflemen have their way with the targets. They would aim for any ranged orcs first, then target the grunts. If all went according to plan, the orcs would be dead before they reached us.
Most generals would storm out, looking for a fight. However, with our current situation concerning experience, this was not optional. A victory today would be living to see tomorrow.
An old general once said “Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst,” So I prepared a backup plan incase they did manage to break through. This was all too possible. So, for this possibility, I had arranged to have the main militia force standby at the gate. The orcs would meet our full force if they tried to break through.
One of my sayings was, “the simplest plans succeed the most.” And so, I made a simple plan. The orcs would not find a weakness, and if they did, I prepared to station minor groups of militia all around the camp. They could hold the orcs off until the main force arrived.
This would be a long day. If the opposing general was smart, he wouldn’t attack today. He would simply wait to find a weakness, then come up with a plan to exploit it.
Now the rest of my time was consumed thinking about counter-actions to exploits…

Undead_Lives

Sorry for the double post, but this needs a bump, and I need to post Part Four.

Part 4

~Hester
It was the day after the preparations. We stood on the tanks to get a good view of the orcs, who were preparing to attack us. They seemed to be organizing and final preparations were being made. They battle would begin soon.
“Captain?” I turned around to see whom it was that was calling me. It turned out to be Beram.
“What is it, Beram?” I asked.
“The general wants to see you,” he answered.
“Your message is delivered, back to your post now.”
“Yes sir.”
The general must want to go over the strategy for today’s battle again. I decided that I had better hurry; the general hates it when I am late.
Finally, I arrived at his tent. When I got in, I noticed the general was just finishing having his armor put on by his personal assistant.
“Ah, Hester, please, take a seat,” said the general.
“I would prefer to stand, if that is not a problem, sir.”
“Ah, worked up over the ensuing battle are we? Well, I’m not surprised.”
“Really, sir?”
“Yes, you see, this is the reason I called you here. I would like to tell you a little about leading in a battle.
“Now, you already understand the basics of leading men when they are training. However, when the pressure is on you to make decisions, you must make them quick. Now as I say this, do not make rash decisions either. For this could lead to disaster. For this reason, your mind must be completely sharp, like a sword, at all times. If you ever slip your concentration and make a bad decision, the men will pay for it with their lives. However, in this battle you need not worry about this too much. I will be making most of the important decisions on the battlefield. In any case, you still will make decisions down there on the ground with the men. I just want to make sure you are prepared to make the decisions you have to.
“In addition, you need to learn this. Men die everyday. You must not let one bad decision on your part tear your mind apart. You must realize that this is war, and men will most definitely die.”
I was quite taken aback. I had not expected this when I entered the general’s tent. However, he was waiting for an answer, and I had to give one.
“I understand.”
“Good, now I put my full trust in you. I know you will do well, Hester. Keep your mind sharp, and you will do very well indeed. You may go now.”
“Yes, sir.”
As I left the tent I reflected on the general’s words. Men’s lives were in my hands. I had to make sure that I kept my mind sharp. I could not afford to let them die on my account.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Nevra
“Thank you Asirian, that will be all,” I said to my assistant. He bowed, and then left my tent.
I had a few moments to collect my thoughts. I knew the plan, as any general should, as if my own life depended on its proper execution. If this plan was not successful, it truly might.
So, I took one deep breath, and walked out of my tent.
When I got to the tanks, I stepped up to the one closest to the gate. There I got a good look at the enemy for the first time.
My scouts were right, of course. About a hundred or so more orcs than we had men, but we also had a fortress. Also, I had a plan.
What this battle really came down to was how well trained the opposing leader was. If he saw my tactics right away, it could be the end for us. However, that was very unlikely because this plan was not easily countered. Besides, my tactics have hardly ever been figured out.
The orcs were in formation now. They started to move forward. They were walking at a steady pace…and then they started to charge.
“Hold until my signal!” I shouted.
They were coming closer by the second. Just a little longer…and now they were right where I wanted them.
“Round one, FIRE!”
From the small concealment of the walls, the riflemen hidden behind them stood up and fired. The orcs never saw it coming.
“Round one, reload, round two, fire!”
The second set of riflemen stood up and fired as the first set ducked down. More orcs lay dead, but they still charged toward us. Finally, their headhunters were in range.
“Hold fire!”
The headhunters had nothing to throw at, so they continued their charge along with the grunts. Finally, I put into action the final phase of my plan.
“Open the gates! Charge! Riflemen fire at will!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Beram
“As the order was given to charge, I raced forward with my fellow soldiers. We closed in on the orcs as they started to fall to the gunshots.
“Target the headhunters!” I heard the general say.
Finally, we got to the orcs, and we hit them with all our might. I faced my first opponent, and he had an axe. He swung and missed me as I dodged. I immediately stuck my father’s sword into his chest and he died instantly.
Suddenly I became full of energy. My heart was beating so fast, I could feel my blood surging through my body.
I saw my fellow soldier get taken down by an orc headhunter’s spear. He looked at me, and started to get another spear. I immediately took out my dagger, and threw it at him with all my might. It hit him right in the throat.
I ran to grab my dagger, while doing so I faced my next opponent. Another grunt with another axe, but this one was bigger. In fact, he stood a foot taller than me, and I wasn’t short myself.
The orc seemed to be in a rage. He let out a war cry, and rushed at me. His axe hit my sword as I blocked his first attack, and still having my dagger in my other hand, slashed his thigh. He yelled in pain, but came at me again. This time I dodged his mighty swing, and thrust my sword at his chest, but he blocked it somehow. He slashed across me, and I had to leap backwards to avoid the would-have been killing blow. Again, he slashed at me, and again I dodged.
After a few more slashes and a few more dodges, he seemed to become more normal, and started to become tired. This was my chance, probably my only chance. So I swung my sword at him, and he blocked it. Just as he blocked it, I jumped up and thrust my dagger into his huge neck. He fell, never to rise again.
I heard one of the orcs yell something, and the orc army began to retreat. We had one the battle. Our soldiers cheered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Orc Warchief
After the battle, I realized that I had a very good tactician for an opposing general. I needed a plan that was full proof to beat him.
“Warchief, there is a grunt who says he has seen this general before,” said Throkar as he entered my tent.
“Bring him in,” I replied.
“Warchief,” said Morkar as he entered, “as you know I once served with Jekrah, who recently died. He told me of how he beat the general. He said he hired a few assassins to breach the general’s fortress and find a soldier that knew the general’s plans of attack for the next battle. He then brought the soldier and questioned him until he revealed the plans, and then killed him. The next day, Jekrah beat this general in battle.”
I pondered on this for a moment. Then I made my decision.
“Find me assassins.”

EDIT: also added in ~'s to show which character I am using, by a request at wc3c. Just thought I should put it here also.

Undead_Lives

Heh, triple post. Only cause no one wants to read it.. :(
Oh well, Part Five is here. Getting close to the end :yay:

Part 5

~Beram
After the battle was over, we realized that we had won a pretty significant victory. We had killed about seventy-five of the orcs. We had only lost ten of our own soldiers. This gave us some confidence, and proved to everyone that we were indeed ready to fight in this war.
The general had given us a talk on the outcome of the battle. He included how well we did, how proud he was, and how we were going to win this war. It was very inspirational.
After the battle I personally was very tired. I had pondered on the battle, the feeling I had when I struck down my enemy, the rush of battle. It was truly exhilarating.
It was night now. I sat down to look at my sword. I had just cleaned it, and it shone just like new. It was a powerful and deadly weapon, and the general had said that my father would have been proud of me.
I personally saw something in it that reminded me of my father. The sword seemed to reach out to me, trying to guide me. I felt safe and confident with it in my possession.
When I finished pondering over my sword, I decided to take a walk in the fresh air. Tonight was a beautiful night and this might be one of the last times that I get to be by myself. So, I got up, put on my sword, and walked out of my tent.
As I was walking I started to remember the orc faces. I only saw hate and anger on their faces. Their eyes were blazing with the hate. I felt no regret in killing them, as I might have killing humans.
As I was walking along, I heard a branch crack. I decided to see who was there, maybe join them. I had had enough of walking alone. So, I moved towards the source of the noise.

~Hester
After the battle was finished, I felt like just sitting. Just to sit, and to relax.
The battle had gone well. I thanked the gods for that. I did not want a bad experience on my first try. I dare say, I had led those men pretty well. None of them died on account of me, however, the possibility of that happening was slim.
I was pondering over the battle when I remembered seeing how well Beram fought. It was like he was in a whole new place where he was a master of battle and the sword. It was quite a site to see. And if that wasn’t enough, I heard he took down one of the orc captains, one of the largest orcs anyone had ever seen.
Suddenly a spear lifted up my tent flap, and three shadows came into my tent. Before I could say anything they had pointed their spears at my throat. They put a finger to their mouths, and that meant be quiet, which I did without question.
I was sitting there, with three spears pointed at my neck, when they motioned me to get up. I got up slowly. There was another shadow; he must have been the one who opened my tent with his spear. The last shadow began to tie me up when I heard someone talking…
“Hey Captain, you got some visitors?” asked Beram as he entered.
Immediately he drew his sword and stabbed one of the shadows in the back. The other three then motioned towards him. He stood tall with his sword in front of him.
One stabbed at Beram, and he moved his body away from the spear. As that happened, another shadow sliced at him, and he crouched down to avoid it. While he was crouched, he used his sword to slice all of the shadow’s legs in one big swipe. The shadows yelped in pain, and they sounded like…trolls.
Beram realized this was his chance. He sliced of one’s head, and then stabbed another in the chest. The last one tried to run, but Beram did a quick move and somehow ended up putting his sword in the troll’s back.
“What’s going on here?” asked the general as he stepped in with a light.
As the light hit the rest of the tent, the general fell silent. He realized what had happened. Also, I got a good look at the shadows I thought were trolls. I was right, they were trolls, dressed in all black. No wonder I couldn’t see them very clearly.
“It seems you did a great deed today Beram,” said the general.
“It was nothing, really.”
“Oh no, it was. Hester here owes you his life.”
“Yes, thank you Beram. I do owe you my life,” I said.
“Your welcome, Captain.” An awkward silence came as we stood there pondering over the event…
“Well, I believe it is time for all of us to get some rest. We will sort this out in the morning. Beram, back to your tent, you need your rest. Hester, you can sleep in my tent.”
“Yes sir,” we said at the same time.
I walked over the dead trolls and headed for the general’s tent. However, the general did not come with me.
“Sir, are you not coming?”
“I will join you in a moment.”
“Yes sir.”

~Nevra
I stared for a long time at the trolls. They were indeed assassins sent here to do…what? Kill Hester? No, they would have finished that easily and been off. Then why tie him up? They must have needed something from him…but what could he possibly give them? Unless…unless they wanted information.
I walked back to my tent to meet with Beram and Hester and tell them what I had determined. Also, I needed their opinions to help me determine how to deal with this problem.
“Gentlemen, we are dealing with a general who has knowledge of me,” I said as I entered my tent. Beram and Hester were sitting on the chairs that were in front of my desk. I proceeded to sit in the chair behind my desk as they listened intently.
“What I am saying, is that the trolls were really after Hester for information.”
“Information? What could I possibly tell them?” asked Hester.
“You could tell them my strategies. My tactics. They know you are the captain, so of course you must be informed. I believe this is how a certain orc general beat me once before.”
“This has happened before?” asked Beram.
“Yes, it was the battle that made me go back to my farm. The one that disbanded me from the military until now.”
Beram and Hester just looked to the floor to let this realization sink in. They had never thought that orcs could be this resourceful.
“Now, the problem is, how do we deal with it? Now that their plan has failed, how do we go about striking them?” Again, Beram and Hester pondered on this for a moment, and then Beram spoke up.
“We could let them come to us. Pretend it never happened.”
“What? How would that work?” asked Hester.
“Hester, be quiet. Beram, do tell us your plan.”
“Well, sir, what if we pretended that the assassins never attacked us? Maybe if we do this, then the other general will think they are planning on striking another night. Especially if he expects his assassins to succeed, and he will also probably be thinking that we will be outraged by this act, and attack. While the other general waits, we call reinforcements. And then, we crush them.”
I thought a moment on this. It was risky, but we were an excellent force for defending. Buying time would not be a bad idea.
“Hester, have a messenger contact Hever Backroot. Immediately, Hester.”
“Sir? You can’t actually be thinking of going through with this!” exclaimed Hester.
“Hester, that’s an order.”
“Yes, sir,” said Hester, after a moment of hesitation.
“Good. Go now Hester. Beram, I want to thank you for this plan. You may become as ingenious as I one day. Off with you now, get some rest.”
“Yes, sir,” Beram said as he exited my tent.
“Sir, do you actually think that this plan will work?” asked Hester.
“If it does, it will surely win us the war.”

~Orc Warchief
“Warchief, the assassins have not come back,” said Henkrar.
I couldn’t understand why they weren’t back. Maybe they had been delayed, and waited for tommorow’s nightfall to strike. I made up my mind on how to answer Henkrar.
“Wait for them, wake me when they get here. I will be sleeping now…”

Fladian

I'm sorry, Undead. I'll post now, but I haven't read it yet. It's not like I'm waiting for the right time, but I just don't have the free time to read it, and the moment when I have free time, I am usually too clouded minded because of several reasons and I try to avoid reading or watching stuff I need to comment on. Because it is very unlikely that I give a proper reaction.

Like right now. I got all the free time in the world at the moment, I had the test yesterday and I have no specific plans for today or tomorrow. I don't have any school assignment for next week so I am free to do as I like. Unfortunately, because of what happened this... or last week (whichever you prefer to call it) I am too clouded minded to give a proper comment on it. I don't think I'll be able to remember it clearly after I read it as well, which is probably the most important factor in commenting on it.

Undead_Lives

Hey, it's alright. I finally got through your "If and only If" after putting it off for so long...so no problems here. Do what ya gotta do, and when you can, read my story :p :yay:

Fladian

That's a new one. You're the first who didn't ask for details about a 'clouded mind', oh well, all the better.

Maybe I'll print it out when I'm at school. At least I have something to do during English class that way, and she can't say I'm not paying attention to her 'English tutoring' (blah, blah :p).

Fladian

I don't think you do. I never shared the reason of it on the internet, and it is unlikely I'll ever will.

Now I suggest you stop replying, so you don't have to double post for the next part.

EDIT: Or in truth, not really an edit. I deleted my post only to recreate the same post and to bump it up.
As for I what I wanted to say, I (finally) finished your story. As a matter of fact, because I knew I couldn't find the time to read it all at once in front of my computer, I printed the entire story. I read the story during my German and English class mostly, but especially because I was 'blowing off some steam' a few days ago, I had more than enough time to read through it. I pointed out most mistakes I could find and things that you will have to improve.

All of that will be posted by me soon, I don't have the time at the moment to make a (somewhat) detailed post about it right now.

But I can say one thing about the story. I was, unfortunately, somewhat disappointed in it.

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

You're disapointed? Wow that sucks for me to hear. But I admit, this wasn't exactly my best effort.
Anyways, here's Part 6, the shortest Part ever. :p

Part 6

~Nevra
Nearly two days had passed since I sent that messenger to find Hever. No word had come back as of yet. I was starting to get worried, when in the middle of the day a man rode into the fortress riding much too fast.
?Sir, General Fieldmont sir! Hever Backroot is on his way this instant sir!? exclaimed the man. As I walked toward him I realized that he was the messenger I had sent to fetch Hever.
?Good, now, get some rest man. You have done exceptionally well.?
?Yes sir!?
?You there!? I shouted as I pointed to a lanky looking man, ?What is your name??
?My name is Karl Newbrook sir!? he said as he saluted.
?Well Karl, I want you to get on your horse, and give Hever this,? I said as I produced a letter that I had wrote soon after I sent off the first messenger.
?Yes sir!?
?Oh, and Karl??
?Yes??
?Make haste!?

~Orc Warchief
?Warchief, the assassins still have not returned. Do you intend to do nothing?? said a short and fat orc. He was a captain, good at leading, bad at fighting.
?No. Gather the troops. We move now.?

~Hester
I didn?t like the boy?s plan. Not a bit. But now, it seemed it had worked. It had bought us very precious time. However, I still did not like the plan, the orcs would be on us any moment now.
?Captain sir! We have reports from our scouts that the orcs are moving! It seems the are using every troop they have!? shouted a tall and hard looking man.
?Go inform the general immediately!?
?Yes sir!?
?Nutar!? I shouted up to a handsome looking man up on the ?walls? that were actually tanks.
?Yes sir??
?Have the walls guarded double! Spread the word around the fortress that the orcs are coming!?
?Yes sir!? he exclaimed as he rushed off.
This was it. Here and now, this would decide the outcome of the war. That plan better work.

~Beram
The ?fortress? was bustling with preparations. I had been ready the day after the assassins had tried to take information from Hester. I was very prepared.
Everywhere you could hear shouts of men telling the others that the orcs were coming. I gathered my father?s sword, and I knew that I would not die here today. Not with my father within his sword and me. Today, we would win this war.
Suddenly, the shouting stopped. I looked around, and saw that the general was about to give a speech. I gathered around along with all the other men.
?Men, troops, soldiers,? began Nevra, ?Today, we have our last stand. Currently, a messenger is sending instructions to our other militia army, which is on its way. The plan is for us to hold the orcs off until the other army can sneak around behind the orcs and win us this war. How you fare today will be decided by your courage, your strength, and your will. I know you all have courage. I know you all are strong. But what I need from you to day, is the will, no, the desire, to win this war!!!?
The shouts that followed could probably be heard for miles. I hope the orcs were chilled to be bone because of this. Then again, orcs probably never get cold.