Obama Proposes Longer School Days, Extended School Year

rocktrns

In my opinion I don't like it at all.
eduinreview said:
for this generation of students to remain competitive with their international peers as adults, they need to start spending more time in school. This week president obama proposed that american school children extend their time in class, either by lengthening the school day, or spending less time on summer vacation.
“we can no longer afford an academic calendar designed when america was a nation of farmers who needed their children at home plowing the land at the end of each day,” obama said. He continued to say “that calendar may have once made sense, but today, it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. Our children spend over a month less in school than children in south korea. That is no way to prepare them for a 21st century economy.”
in fact, american children spend the least amount time in the classroom when compared to other countries. Currently, the school year length in the states is 180 days. Advocates are pushing further toward a 200-day school year, which would align with thailand, scotland and the netherlands, and leave us a close second with israel, south korea and japan, who leads with a 243-day school year.

read more
http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2009/03/obama-proposes-longer-school-days-extended-school-year/

Werbung:

spuznick242

I acctually would like school more if he did this. I would rather have like a 4 day school week and go to school all year round than only have 3 months off so I can forget just about everything I learned in the past year. Also I would have a much easier time keeping up with friends and also sports could practice all year round, so they dont have the horrible start of practice and the rush before the season. Now having longer days and school year round is out of the question, but school year round wouldnt be so bad, where longer days would be much harder on me because I have school, then soccer, then work, then what ever I have to do when I get home. I dont like school much, but I'm for it, it's better all around with the way I see it.

Werbung: