NEWS: Wiirus?

Liister87

We all just want to play games on the net with our wifi, simple as. But some people just have to make our lives on the online gaming community harder don't they?

Symantec, the world renound antispyware company have recently found vulnerabilities in the wii's online "Opera" browser and said that as most game consoles are now connected (some 24/7) to some sort of internet connection, be it wifi, or cable, they are also just as likely to get a virus, hack or some sort of online problem as a laptop or home computer.

This leads to the question:

"Are there people out there really that sad that want to ruin the gaming community for everyone?"

Short answer: Yes.

Unfortunatly there are, and somehow we are going to have to try and prevent this, we wouldn't want the big "spyware, virus" scare to hit consoles too, but with a wide open securty hole on all the next-gen consoles it poses another question:

"Will we have to buy some sort of Anti-spyware software to put on our Wii's?"

At the moment attacks like this are said to be a few years down the line as the online gaming community really gets going and people start to attack gaming consoles (through ease) more than PC's, so this may lead to companies soon releasing anti-spyware type software to help us keep our wii innocent and safe, especially if we are using our credit cards to buy Virtual Console games.

Symantec's cheif had this to say about the Flash based vulnerability in the wii and all other consoles internet browsers:

"Due to the fact that Flash can run in different browsers and on different platforms, the discovery of this one vulnerability could leave all Flash-enabled operating systems and devices open to the attack, including some advanced smartphones."

Symantec have also stated that .FLV files are fast becoming a problem, the file is mostly used on popular sites such as youtube and google videos and could soon become a vulnerability due to a major flaw.

Lets hope something is done about it, before all of our wii's are attacked and left unstable.

Werbung:

Mario

RE: Wiirus?

Anything connected to the internet its always a good idea to have a Anti Virus software installed, hope they bring something out like that for the Wii soon :)

hockeyhero

Mario said:
Anything connected to the internet its always a good idea to have a Anti Virus software installed, hope they bring something out like that for the Wii soon :)

that would be so cool to have on the wii. It could be like a channel.

EngWii

This doesn't sound good, maybe this is the reason we aren't allowed to download anything from the internet.
So far i've only heard of certain videos crashing wiis, and that was fixed in the last update.

kennyluciano

Symantec are bluffing.
I dont believe that anyone can get a virus on their wii and they just want to make more money. I Think if your careful enough then you Wont catch virus' there is no need for this software on the wii tbh

Liister87

kennyluciano said:
Symantec are bluffing.
I dont believe that anyone can get a virus on their wii and they just want to make more money. I Think if your careful enough then you Wont catch virus' there is no need for this software on the wii tbh

Hahah thats the exact same thing people were saying around 95/96 when the internet really hit big, and the same thing again when broadband came out..

;) They were also saying "knowone will want to virus a typical home user"..

Haha, i remember reading it in the ancient forums, and at alt.computers or something like that. My dad agreed, and then when broadband hit everyone had a virus haha!

I HOPE it doesnt happen to the wii i really do, but in this day and age..:(

hockeyhero

Liister87 said:
kennyluciano said:
Symantec are bluffing.

Hahah thats the exact same thing people were saying around 95/96 when the internet really hit big, and the same thing again when broadband came out..

;) They were also saying "knowone will want to virus a typical home user"..

Haha, i remember reading it in the ancient forums, and at alt.computers or something like that. My dad agreed, and then when broadband hit everyone had a virus haha!

I HOPE it doesnt happen to the wii i really do, but in this day and age..:(

really good point there liister87

cloudzero45

nifti said:
r u serious. Im scared to go on my wii wifi now.

same here... liister87, this thread has gotten me very scared.... but no1 has gotten a virus yet...so not gonna panic yet... but as soon as the first person get a deadly wii virus... im gonna get some sort of wii condom to protect from these internet diseases

Randomboy

hockeyhero said:
Mario said:

that would be so cool to have on the wii. It could be like a channel.

I'd like to see that. The "Wii Anti-Spyware Channel". :D

Werbung: