NEWS: Wii Outsells PS3 3-1 and XBOX360 22-1 in AUGUST (07)

Liister87

Figures have been released for the Wii, Ps3 and Xbox 360 sales in Japan in the last week and its pretty interesting.

The wii has outsold both its competitors:

- The PS3 3-1, (Wii sold 245,653 units whist PS3 only sold 81,541)

- The Xbox360 22-1, (Wii sold 245,653 compared to a measley 11,288 from Xbox360)

So whats the decisive factor in the sales, ONE major thing different from the wii to the rest is the WiiMote and motion sensoring, that COULD be a major factor, but what else? Do people nowadays just want the good old fun games back, no BIG graphics, EXPLOSIONS and guns (Halo) maybe you just can't beat family/mate fun games like WiiSports, Mario Strikers and WiiPlay?

Would the tides be turned in America though, as Japan is not to keen on the evil american XBOX does america think the same?

We shall see in about a year i guess, when all 3 of the consoles have settled properly with all the "title" games out of the way..

Werbung:

hockeyhero

ohhhhh wow.....nintendo has really cashed in with the wii.....i think most people buy the wii because of it's motion sensitivity..but thats just my opinion....

Becky

The Xbox360 has had a high percentage of hardware failures - some gamers have had their unit replaced multiple times for the same fault. This will have undoubtably put off many potential buyers, despite Microsoft stating that the problems aren't as widespread as they appear.

The PS3 is ridiculously over-priced being the most expensive of the three. Despite Sony announcing recent price cuts, it's still only accessible to gamers with plenty of disposable income. Sony once ruled the console market with the original Playstation, but greed is killing any advantage they once had.

The Wii has an extremely attractive price-point and has proven itself to be a reliable bit of kit. With it's innovative control system and broad appeal - even to consumers who wouldn't ordinarily buy a gaming system - there is no reason why it won't continue to out-perform the competition.

hockeyhero

Becky said:
The Xbox360 has had a high percentage of hardware failures - some gamers have had their unit replaced multiple times for the same fault. This will have undoubtably put off many potential buyers, despite Microsoft stating that the problems aren't as widespread as they appear.

The PS3 is ridiculously over-priced being the most expensive of the three. Despite Sony announcing recent price cuts, it's still only accessible to gamers with plenty of disposable income. Sony once ruled the console market with the original Playstation, but greed is killing any advantage they once had.

The Wii has an extremely attractive price-point and has proven itself to be a reliable bit of kit. With it's innovative control system and broad appeal - even to consumers who wouldn't ordinarily buy a gaming system - there is no reason why it won't continue to out-perform the competition.

wow i geuss that just explains everything about this thread...lol..

Liister87

Becky said:

Definatly agree there, except one thing confused me, is the wii's percentage of almost frequent pixel failure due to the CONNECT 24 being on alot, didn't at all effect the unit sales! Which is amazing!

The Xbox 360 i would consider out of the race already, they released it too early and have lost out bad on the market, although at the minute it has much superior online capabilities, the Wii and PS3 will definately catch up.

The PS3 is badly over priced, but i can see it being a tough competitor in the long run, with newer games coming out and remakes of the older classic games (Tony Hawks, Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, Tekken, etc etc) which were cult classics in the teenage, even 20-30 range, i think it may give the Wii a run for its money in the future, especially when they reduce the original price.

I mean look at the Gamecube/PS2 situation a few years back, PS2 was BADLY over priced as well to start with, the gamecube was slightly cheaper and had more fun games, whilst the PS2 was a slow starter, i would say, at least in the british market, it won in the end though. And to be honest i can see the PS3 doing the same, at the minute, don't get me wrong, i love my wii, i don't own a PS3 and don't plan on doing so for a while, IF i do...
... but i have this horrible feeling that after the influx of "big" games that come out for the Wii (Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Metroid etc) it might end up like the gamecube...

I really hope not, but it just all feels quite similar somehow to exactly 5/6 years ago.

Becky

Liister, I'd never heard of the Wii's pixel problems before. Is that something Nintendo have been quick to address?

I agree with your points about the PS3 potentially being more competitive as time goes by. Sony has always been particularly good at negotiating agreements with a variety of developers and commissioning a wide range of titles.

Where Nintendo has often failed is in securing enough interest from developers, and thus their catalogue has been limited. And no matter how good the games they do offer are, if people aren't given something new to play with they will walk away.

Also, there are quite a few major-release games that are often developed for both Sony and Microsoft consoles, but never Nintendo. If Nintendo could get in on this trend, and therefore offer the same in-demand titles as their competitors, I think it could really push them ahead.

Liister87

Becky said:
Liister, I'd never heard of the Wii's pixel problems before. Is that something Nintendo have been quick to address?

I agree with your points about the PS3 potentially being more competitive as time goes by. Sony has always been particularly good at negotiating agreements with a variety of developers and commissioning a wide range of titles.

Where Nintendo has often failed is in securing enough interest from developers, and thus their catalogue has been limited. And no matter how good the games they do offer are, if people aren't given something new to play with they will walk away.

Also, there are quite a few major-release games that are often developed for both Sony and Microsoft consoles, but never Nintendo. If Nintendo could get in on this trend, and therefore offer the same in-demand titles as their competitors, I think it could really push them ahead.

Yes the pixel problem is an awkward one, leaving Connect 24 on will heat the fan up and burn out a certain chip in the Wii, making pixels on the screen not appear (dead-pixels) they have addressed it well saying they will fix any wii sent in, for free, although alot of people have complaints of losing VC games and the such from their wii, when they recieved them back.

Like you said, i think this time around Nintendo will secure some great titles, especially with the sales figures i hope 3rd-party game companies notice the wiis popularity and innovative design, and give the wii many titles for the future, as titles for gamecube towards the last year or so were really scraping in.

I think some of the games that are made for all consoles say Tony Hawks for example, would make great cross-console achievements normally, but would mighty hard with the wiimote to play, and we will get a Wii version (as was the case with Tony Hawks downhill challenge, which whilst cool and fun wasn't quite the same as what we are used to from that series). So its great wii has the innovative design of the wiimote, but developers seem to be a bit put off of the idea of creating their games to involve/include this.

This is where people probably like the wiimote, but find it alot easier to play with the older style controller for certain games as they are used to it. Although the PS3's "six-axis" controller doesn't even have a rumble feature, whats that all about?

EDIT: Another reason i can see the PS3 selling tons soon is the Metal Gear Solid 4 game coming out, that looks immense, a really decent game on the PS2, must be a dream on the PS3. I can't believe it was once a nintendo game!

shelton2211

dude i think that the reason that it will outsell in the us is because not as many people want to spend 300-600 dollars for a game console with gas as high as it is so they are going to go for the other system which kicks butt by the way

Werbung: