Gameplay Bug

asasin850

WE tried to play twice and each time the game crashed. People then got d/c from any game they played afterwards. We test and the map is corrupt. When you download it and before you restart your comp you get disconnected from ANY custom game when it starts. I had this problem and so did everyone else who played map. It is playable it's just the code for it is messed up and the map is corrupt. Everyone deleted the map or rebooted their machines and now its fine

Ive spent months attempting to fix this bug, with help from several experienced mappers, but noone seems to know what could be wrong with the map. Im relatively sure that somehow ive damaged the actual map, beyond repair, but i was posting it here to see if anyone would have any idea of what could cause a bug like this, and if there was any known way to fix it. I Did use World Editor Unlimited during hte creation of the map, but scans with normal world editor and several script searchers havnt found any major bugs.

Cheers in Advance.
-Asasin850

-Uhh.. sorry about posting in the wrong section... I think ^^
...Still gettin my grips here abit :p

Werbung:

Fladian

I stopped modding some time ago already and I'm afraid I can't help you much regarding the problem. However, I can recall a time when I heard that several custom Editors caused such problems. Truth to be known, that has been years ago and I never really looked deep in it because I never used any custom editors.

Besides that, as you know, there are several ways to protect a map. Back in the time when the protecting was relatively new, I remember someone mentioning something about deleting a file what is related to a map. This caused the map to be unable to load and some said that it gave several additional problems regarding gameplay. However, most of it were rumors and I never really bothered to confirm it because I wasn't interested in it.

As a laste note, this would most likely be the best (sub)forum to post it in, don't worry about that. Would it be the wrong forum, I'd already would have moved it for you. Oh, and welcome to the forum, Asasin850; I hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Good luck with the problem, there might be some people here who might know more of the problem than me. Considering that I am mostly guessing what the problem is than really knowing what it might be. Therefore, good luck.

asasin850

Thanks for at least trying to help.
I didnt really expect much in th way of ways to fix it, but i thought i might as well try. Im pretty sure it must be an internal error, but the only thing i can think of as causing it was WEU, and i doubt something that widely used would have a bug like this and it wouldnt come to someones attention...
I attempted to host unprotected versions - privately OFC - but it still crashed, so I assumed it was something in my triggers, but i havnt got anything i havnt used there before, except for a couple fo spells which ive tested in other maps that work fine. its really annoying me cas its a really nice map, and it's been ready for release for several months...

Cheers

Edit - I feel that i should mention its a Wheel of Time map like the one hosted on this site :p Total different gameplay style tho...

...dunno why but i felt like sayin that :p

Fladian

That brings ideas. If it isn't the editor what may have caused the problems, it might be triggers, as you suggested. That you say that the triggers can't be the case because you have used them before does not necessarily mean it's not the problem. Apparently there are triggers that doesn't seem to work right together and cause loading failures; I've experienced some myself, but I've never been really specialized in triggers. You may want to look into that if you run out of options. It couldn't hurt at least.

Fellow moderator of the site, Undead_Lives is the creator of the other Wheel of Time project on this site. I'll point him to this direction, maybe he knows more of this than I do... well, actually, I am pretty sure he knows more of this than I do. If it is indeed a combination of triggers that don't work correctly, then he is probably the right guy to help you in it.

Good luck.

asasin850

...I know that name from somewhere...

And i have looked through the triggers several times, however its hard to test the map properly wihtout a full house, and thats hard to get when you keep it private :p

Well it is when you officially retired from teh game 6 months ago, which i suposedly did :p

Fladian

Undead_Lives is, or has been a member of several other Warcraft modding sites. You could know him from posts on an other site as well. He is also, besides from being a moderator here at Anvil, the member with most posts on this site next to me. It's quite hard to miss him out here.

I'm familiar with that problem. :p
However, I stopped modding years ago, in opposite of your six months. Imagine how hard of a time I should have when I tried to do something like that now. :p But then again, I only attempted to make RPG's and campaigns; mostly the attempt for the second one.

Undead_Lives

Hehe, I believe it is in your triggers.
I once made a trigger that if you had two items of the same type, wc3 would just crash. It wouldn't be open anymore.
Now, I protect my maps, and I use a program to do that for me. I doubt that's the problem, from what you've said. I suggest looking over your triggers, and try and figure out the newest ones, and double check them over.
Btw, my problem was that I gave an item to the hero he already had :p

asasin850

I attempted to make campaigns; mostly attempt.

Every heard of teh "Lore of the Quel'Dorei: Uprising" Campaign?

....Exactly :p

its my fault for letting the best terrainist i could find help me, then he quit, and now im stuck with half done kick ass terrain and i cant terrain for shit. Plus im 2 lazy to finish it :p

Fladian

Every heard of teh "Lore of the Quel'Dorei: Uprising" Campaign?
No, that doesn't ring any bell for me.

You could always ask someone else to terrain for you instead. Any decent terrainer would probably do just fine; I am not available.

Hey, my guess about the triggers wouldn't be too far off then. :p

asasin850

Cant be bothered really. I might hand the campaign off to someone if they want it, but i cbf to make it. Too much effort, and I havnt got all that much time for WC3 anymore. Im only trying to Fix WoT because people want to play it :p

Werbung: