Game Review: Yugioh World Chamionship 2007

Yugioh World Championship 2007:
Yugioh, one of the most popular card games. With it's popularity, it was obvious it would get a bunch of video games. Most of them have quite frankly sucked (I'm looking at Reshef of Destruction)
However, World Champsionship 2007; which, incidentally, is the third game in the World Championship series, is the best one I've played.
Now that the series has moved to the DS, it has the memory and power to hold almost every card in existance on one cartridge, and still having room for so much more. This allows it to mimic the real card game better than ever before.

Each monster has several sprites for it. Most have a two to three frame animation that hovers over each card on the top screen. These mimic the picture on the card pretty well. They also have a static "Defence position" sprite (with the animation being played when the monster's in attack mode.
Additionally, if you're not viewing a monster (one card can be targeted with the camera) you view the monster from behind.
Some monsters (such as Blue Eyes and Lava golem) appear with a 3D model and a small tune when they get first get played, then change to sprites once you go back into the main view
Disappointingly, the same isn't true for magic and trap cards (other than field cards which change the background to the picture on the card)
The most you get is a flash and a "ping" when you play certain trap cards (like Accumulated fortnune)
The scenery behind the playing field varies from what type of mode you play (It's randomised when you play online) and looks pretty nice although it doesn't push the DS to the limits
The sounds aren't spectacular either. You just get a few fwoosh, ching, swish ect. sounds. The music makes up for it though, with a bunch of really nice memorable tunes (especially the tune that plays in the multiplayer menu)
When your opponents lifepoints go 3000 lower (or higher) than yours the music changes to a tune that fits with the situation.

When you first start the game, you are presented with a choice of different heads and hairstyles, some look really silly whilst others are completely serious.
You don't have a choice of what colour hair you have, but you can change it later when you earn Domino points (the currency in the game)
You also have a customisable vocabulary; of course, as this game was thought up with kids in mind so you can't write what you want, but you're spoiled for choice as there are plenty of options. These are spoken by your character, who shows up in a little box on the top screen.
Additionally, when you get further into the game, you unlock new clothes and Duel disks to customise your character even further
The CPU opponents are usually monsters (barring the downloaded CPUs who are usually based on characters from the anime) and it's pretty cute to see their yelps (because most can't talk)
And did I mention that when you get attacked or attack someone ect. your avatar changes it's expression? (as do the CPU; Winged Kuriboh comes to mind; cutely covering his face with his claws and cowering)

The control simple is simple too. More or less everything can be done using the stylus, although the D-pad is fully functional as well. There's nothing spectacular to talk about, as the control scheme is how you'd expect an RPG's to work. You select what you want to do and the game does it for you (not in a bad sense though ;) I'd hate it if you had to rub the enemy monster to attack xP)

There is a small variety of modes. These being(not including the multiplayer mode): CPU duel, Limited duel (where your deck must fit a certain limitation), theme duels (Where you must fulfill a certain goal such as playing fifteen trap cards), duel puzzles (where you must win in one turn; these are pretty difficult, as complex combinations must be used in a paticular order), Life point survival (where you must go through a 3, 6, 9 or 12 duels on just one set of life points; meaning that if you lose a thousand life points in one duel, you don't regain them when the next one starts) and finally tutorial mode.
Speaking of tutorial mode, it's a pretty one. It teaches the player about the aspects of the game, then asking them to play a little example. Each tutorial ends with a little quiz, which are easy if you paid attention. In fact, the tutorial's so good that my younger cousin was playing pretty well after about half an hour.

The game isn't compatible with single card play however. You'd have thought they could give the person without the cartridge a pre-determined deck, or have the host choose one of their own decks for them to play with. As the game doesn't sell very well to non-harcore Yugioh fans, it's unlikely you'll be using the multiplayer mode often.
Wifi however, will get used a whole lot more.
There's a download section; which updates now and then with new cards, new ban lists, new CPU's to face and new duel puzzles.
There's a leader board which shows you the top-ranked players, which are also up for download as CPUs for you to face.
Also, anyone you add to your friend list and play against gets added to the CPU menu so you can face them at anytime you want. Of course, you can delete any downloaded CPUs if you want to.
As with many wifi games, it runs off a rating system, which goes up when you win, and down when you lose. Annoyingly, it's difficult to get a good rating, even with a good deck, because a lot of people disconnect when they're about to lose. And the people who hack the game to give them any cards they want (There's a ban list which restricts the cards you can put in your deck, a forbidden list, a limited list (limited to one) and a semi limited (limited to two) (other cards are limited to three))
And if you manage to beat them anyway (like me) they disconnect too. It's pitiful really.

The difficulty curve in this game isn't a problem. When you're just starting off with the starter deck, the level one duelists have decks as pitiful as your own. But when you start to get a better deck as you get new cards, the duelists you play against become much tougher.
As stated before, the currency is D.P. This is won after beating a duelist, or completing a puzzle ect. which are used to buy cards.
150 D.P to a pack of five cards (or 200 for some of the better packs)
As in real life, a lot of the cards are really rare, and as there are 1600 cards to get, you'll be opening a lot of packs. The reward for collecting every last one of them (and fully completing every other mode) is something that many people who play the real life game would kill to be able to do in a tournerment. Have one forbidden card in your deck. These are really powerful and broken cards; such as Monster reborn (brings back one monster from the graveyard) Raigeki (destroys all monsters on your opponents side of the field) Butterfly dagger: Elma (used in all sorts of OTK decks) ect.
So these cards are a real boost in your deck (and would legalise my real life Exodia OTK deck when I unlock this feature)

What's more, it doesn't cost £100 to build a good deck. Just £30 to have access to every single card and the ability to play people from around the world with a whole load of other options. Methinks it's superior to the real life game in every way (other than the fact that some of the rare cards can be sold at high prices on eBay)

All in all, I give it 86%
A worthy (and underrated) game to add to your collection

Werbung:
hockeyhero said:
long but great review. I enjoyed reading it.

good job,:friends:

p.s. did you finnish the game?

If I didn't get Diamond about two weeks after I got the game then I probably would have. Diamond just took up all the time I had :p

hockeyhero

Ice the frosty cat said:
hockeyhero said:
long but great review. I enjoyed reading it.

good job,:friends:

p.s. did you finnish the game?

If I didn't get Diamond about two weeks after I got the game then I probably would have. Diamond just took up all the time I had :p

are you going to review diamond aswell?

Werbung: