Game Review: Super Paper Mario

As I'm nearing the end of Super Paper Mario, I think it's an adequate time to review it.
As with most Paper Mario games, the story is a lot different to the platformers. It seems so initially, with Peach being missing and Bowser being the suspect. Mario and Luigi go and find him, but he's just as confused as they are. Before they can work out what to do, an evil guy appears out of no-where and sucks everyone but Mario into a vortex where a marriage ceremony between Bowser and Peach (o_O) is taking place. As you'd expect, Peach doesn't want to marry Bowser and refuses to say "I do" so Count Bleck's (the aforementioned evil guy) assistant controls her and forces her to say it.
As she does, a rumble sounds and a black heart-shaped thing comes out of a pillar (?) Luigi attempts to put a stop to it, but its too late and Bleck opens a portal
Meanwhile, Mario wakes up and finds a little butterfly telling him that he's needed and it teleports him to a place called Flipside where a guy called Merlon tells him that he's the only one that can save all worlds...

What really makes this game shine is the way you play it. You can flip from 2D to 3D by pressing the A button, literally paving the way for an entire new dimension of secrets and puzzles.
For example, you come to a dead end and the only thing in site is a rock. Flip to 3D and you'll see that the rock has an arrow pointing to the right, to a previously unseen road. It's very clever and changes the way you think about the game.
Another great thing is the ability to switch between characters. Mario, Peach, Bowser (and someone else) are all playable and each have different abilities. In the later levels you'll be switching every few seconds. It really gets you thinking. Not only that, but some people in the game talk differently to different characters. Unfortunately, this doesn't get used NEARLY as much as you'd expect. I can only recall about five instances where the character you are effects the response you get. Another disappointing feature about the dialog is the fact the pixls (more about them in a bit) have one bit of speech when you first meet them, and then they never talk again. It's a real shame. They all get personalities, and they only talk once.
The hilarious script makes up for it though "What? My front gate was open" (spoken by Bowser after he asks Mario how he got into his castle)

The game is simple to control. Horizontal position. D-pad to move, 2 to jump, 1 to use the pixl's power, A to flip into 3-D/2-D.
The motion sensing isn't quite as well used (It's only used in the arcade game, for a point bonus after jumping on an enemy and a few mini-games where you "charge" up an item)
You'll be using the pointer system quite a bit as the game cleverly hides doors and secrets which can only be unearthed by pointing the Wiimote at the screen.

The graphics are very nice to look at. This game alone is proof that graphics don't need to be realistic to be good (but Wind Waker had proved that already)
The paper effects are beautiful! At the beginning of each level, it draws the starting screen as the level loads. Although at times this can be a bit boring to watch, it's definitely proof of how well Nintendo do these paper effects.
The music is lovely to listen to as well. Once again, Nintendo have created a brilliant soundtrack. Although some music is annoying, most is great and it was a pleasure to listen to.

The game has a lot of hidden stuff to make you come back afterwards. Although I usually don't bother with things like getting all the recipes; I liked this game so much, that I might actually do it for once.

A masterpiece that should defiantly be part of your Wii collection

I give it 93% in total
You'll spend a lot of time with this game :)

Werbung:

metroidprime3rules

Ice the frosty cat said:
As I'm nearing the end of Super Paper Mario, I think it's an adequate time to review it.
As with most Paper Mario games, the story is a lot different to the platformers. It seems so initially, with Peach being missing and Bowser being the suspect. Mario and Luigi go and find him, but he's just as confused as they are. Before they can work out what to do, an evil guy appears out of no-where and sucks everyone but Mario into a vortex where a marriage ceremony between Bowser and Peach (o_O) is taking place. As you'd expect, Peach doesn't want to marry Bowser and refuses to say "I do" so Count Bleck's (the aforementioned evil guy) assistant controls her and forces her to say it.
As she does, a rumble sounds and a black heart-shaped thing comes out of a pillar (?) Luigi attempts to put a stop to it, but its too late and Bleck opens a portal
Meanwhile, Mario wakes up and finds a little butterfly telling him that he's needed and it teleports him to a place called Flipside where a guy called Merlon tells him that he's the only one that can save all worlds...

What really makes this game shine is the way you play it. You can flip from 2D to 3D by pressing the A button, literally paving the way for an entire new dimension of secrets and puzzles.
For example, you come to a dead end and the only thing in site is a rock. Flip to 3D and you'll see that the rock has an arrow pointing to the right, to a previously unseen road. It's very clever and changes the way you think about the game.
Another great thing is the ability to switch between characters. Mario, Peach, Bowser (and someone else) are all playable and each have different abilities. In the later levels you'll be switching every few seconds. It really gets you thinking. Not only that, but some people in the game talk differently to different characters. Unfortunately, this doesn't get used NEARLY as much as you'd expect. I can only recall about five instances where the character you are effects the response you get. Another disappointing feature about the dialog is the fact the pixls (more about them in a bit) have one bit of speech when you first meet them, and then they never talk again. It's a real shame. They all get personalities, and they only talk once.
The hilarious script makes up for it though "What? My front gate was open" (spoken by Bowser after he asks Mario how he got into his castle)

The game is simple to control. Horizontal position. D-pad to move, 2 to jump, 1 to use the pixl's power, A to flip into 3-D/2-D.
The motion sensing isn't quite as well used (It's only used in the arcade game, for a point bonus after jumping on an enemy and a few mini-games where you "charge" up an item)
You'll be using the pointer system quite a bit as the game cleverly hides doors and secrets which can only be unearthed by pointing the Wiimote at the screen.

The graphics are very nice to look at. This game alone is proof that graphics don't need to be realistic to be good (but Wind Waker had proved that already)
The paper effects are beautiful! At the beginning of each level, it draws the starting screen as the level loads. Although at times this can be a bit boring to watch, it's definitely proof of how well Nintendo do these paper effects.
The music is lovely to listen to as well. Once again, Nintendo have created a brilliant soundtrack. Although some music is annoying, most is great and it was a pleasure to listen to.

The game has a lot of hidden stuff to make you come back afterwards. Although I usually don't bother with things like getting all the recipes; I liked this game so much, that I might actually do it for once.

A masterpiece that should defiantly be part of your Wii collection

I give it 93% in total
You'll spend a lot of time with this game :)

Thanks for the review ice the game sounds good :)

Matt

Pixls are things that help you through the game. Ones that can make you shrink, go thin, float etc.

Great review for a great game!

Ash

Its a really good game, and good review, me and a friend completed it about a week ago, loved every minute of it!

Rybo5000

93% !!!!

I gave it 88% - it is with it's faults

http://rybogamesforum.proboards60.com/index.cgi?board=officialreviews&action=display&thread=1190994199

Werbung: