AMD Athlon XP Issue

mYth

Ok, I posted about this a bit ago, and I got right stuff, but a new issue has cropped up. After changing the BIOS settings to conform to the new CPU, the damn thing gets to POST and just powers down, or not even 2 seconds of power and just cuts off! Any help would be appreciated! Already contacted mobo maker and their help wasn't worth a damn as in I got the settings right and when the shit started happening, the "tech" said, "Well it's supposed to be working now."

Board Specs:

Asus A7V8X-X (Supports up to 333 MHz FSB for CPU / 400 MHz for Mem)
3x Mem slots (Currently loaded with 2x 1Gb DDR333/PC 2700)

CPU Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton Core)/2.16 GHz/333 MHz FSB

BIOS Settings:

CPU Speed: 2167 MHz
CPU Frequency Multiple: 13.5x
CPU External Frequency: 133/33
CPU VCore: +1.65 V

:?

Werbung:

imported_SuXoR

I did a quick search on your problem.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/13212?o=20

From this source I would say that you need to flash your bios to the newest version. that may suck because at the time of writing this asus's support site is down.

It seems that there is a conflict with the original bios and agp cards.

Also, it looks like you want to populate slots 1 and 3 with your ram.

Another good policy is to be sure that you have a good (name brand) power supply of at least 300 watts.

Personaly, I have abandoned via chipsets after my first and last bad experience with them. I had several abit kt133 raid boards with major issues. I have since used intel, sis, and nvidia chipsets with great success. If you cannot solve this issue quicly, then I would recommend buying a new board with the n-force 2 chipset.

I just looked for the two boards that I have used with great success, but it seems that no one is carrying them anymore. They were asus a7n8x-vm400 and msi k7n2gm2-lsr.

Good luck, and sorry I don't have time to help more.

mYth

SUXOR, START PLAYIN THE FUKING VIOLIN!!!!!! THIS FUCKER'S GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

BTW I found ur msi mobo for ya:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3914888

imported_SuXoR

ROFL

Just be sure you go to www.resellerratings.com before a purchase. I paid $98 for the Asus boards (5 in service for about 1.5 years) and about $60 for the msi boards (3 in service for about 1 year).

They have all been good office workhorses.

mYth

Looking at a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR mobo for $70. Opinion?

Here's the link:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4027720

Looks like it'll fit his case. Only thing is will I have to wipe the HDD when I put this baby in?

imported_SuXoR

That looks like a decent board for a fair price. Keep in mind that I cannot vouch for a board that I have not used.

I guess that you don't want a micro-atx board (it will fit into an atx case) but the micro board is nice because it has integrated geforce 4 mx graphics and an agp slot for add on card.

I would format and reinstall windows with the new board. The via drivers have a tendency to stick around and may foul things up. Plus, a fresh install with all new drivers will always run faster and be more stable.

Keep in mind that you should download the latest nvidia drivers and burn them to a cd. When you bring up the new board, it will not recognize the nforce ethernet controller (i cant remember, but i think the usb doesnt work either until the nvidia drivers are installed), so you will not have any internet. Plus, the nvidia drivers on the cd that comes with the board will be dated. You will have to use the drivers from the motherboard cd for your audio, but that is minor.

Critical note: I don't know if you have used any nforce boards before, but when installing the unified drivers it will come to a point where it asks you if you want to install the ide sw driver... CLICK NO! If you click yes, re-format the drive, crack open a fresh beer, and reinstall windows. Trust me on this one.

If you have any other questions holla.

*see edits

Werbung:

mYth

Micro-ATX doesn't allow me breathing room between my AGP, sound, and BIC so. Thanx for the heads up.....now to go beat the wife for the money to get it :twisted: rofl j/k :lol: