Skinning Programs? or how to make? :l

Thursday

Hey me again :p I wanna learn how i can make my own skins and what file to convert them to and importing ang what tools and stuff to use :p so any info to help me would be great, thanks

Thursday

Werbung:

Falcoknight

save as TGA and go to wc3sear.ch tool section find Wc3 Image Extractor II and extract as BLP at 100% quality then wala...just get the path right

Example:
1) Open Wc3 Image Extractor
2) Find Units/Orc/Grunt/Grunt.BLP
3) Save as .TGA for (4#1) or Jpeg/Bmp for (4#2)
4#1) Open with Photoshop, or any other TGA user
4#2) Open with Paint, or any other Program that allows BMP's or Jpeg editing
5) Doodil McFoodil
6) Your grunt looks like a weird thing with dots all over it... Newb!
7) Save as Bmp or TGA
8) Open in Wc3 Image Extractor
9) Save as .BLP
10) Import into Warcraft III Map Editor
11) Change path to Units/Orc/Grunt/Grunt.BLP
12) Test the Map, be sure to actualy place a grunt (It wont show skin in map Editor)

PS: Skins will only show in map editor when closed and opened... :S dunno why :p
PS2: Show me your finished product :)

l-hate_you

Hey man, I followed all of your steps to skinning but I always get lost when importing on every single tutorial and I can never get it right!!! :eek:

Ok, I doodle Mcfoodilled... or w/e... and then I saved the File as Grunt and opened in the extractor and saves as Grunt.Blp. After that, I opened my map and imported the Grunt.Blp and changed the custom path to "Units/Orc/Grunt/Grunt.BLP"

I then placed an orc on the map, saved it right away, and tested it right away. The grunt showed no changes, and I made some seriously significant changes on my skin. What the heck did i do wrong!!!??

EDIT:Oh dude i figured it out i think... You need the make the custom path to "Units\Orcs\Grunt\Grunt.blp"!!! You need backslashs, not regular slashs!! look at all of the normal pathes of the models!! Oh yeah... and do I need to open up the unit in the unt editor and change the model to the imported file or will it just overwrite? Cuz it still aint workin..

Undead_Lives

You can skin a grunt and then save it as a skinned grunt, without importing the model file, but it usually takes a few tries, as far as I've tried.
But, if your model is not based on the grunt model, it just won't work.
To solve ALL of this, you can configure the model so that it's paths are yours, and then import the model and skin, but this takes up more space.

l-hate_you

Okay.. I'm getting mad... I went to http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/skinning.php and downloaded that skin at the bottom, the sorc, put it in my map and it worked perfectly fine!!! I think im Doodle Mcfoodilling wrong... On that website it says iI need to select some tihngys on my skin before I save it but I have no clue what to do... is it more that just coloring on the skin and saving it or do i have to select stuff... x.x somebody plz help.

YAY!!!!! I DID IT!!!!! though my skin sucks, I DID IT!!! Ok, you left out a HUGE thing falcoknight, you have to go into "Select > Load Selection > (then press ok)" to load the original selection of the skin, which allows warcraft to tell where the skin starts and ends and stuff. If you make no selection before you save your "doodle mcfoodil", then the skin will be invisible on top of the model making it look normal.

http://tinypic.com/k4z783.jpg

Undead_Lives

What unit did you base it off of? Because if you based it off of...say a villager and then imported it as a Grunt skin, it won't work. You have to replace the original skin with yours, meaning you use the same model.
Also, when you replace the original skin with yours, you cannot use the original one, just ur skinned one, so beware :p

l-hate_you

I know! I took a grunt skin and added some cool details and stuff and tinting and then i saved it (without selecting anything on it) and now im importing it as a grunt skin! thats it! I want to know if i have to select anything before saving and what do i have to select!!!

Edit : I finally got it to work and you have to select the entire skin to make for no team color or you can go up to Select>Load selection and press Okay on the box that comes up on the photoshop program to make it select the original skin's old team color selections (reccomended). :D

Werewulf

when u import?
i use psp to draw
then gimp to alpha since my psp screws the alpha
then i use blp con to convert but it gives low quality..i cant usethe viewer since my tga come upside down..
so photoshop is good if you r a texturer and filter and psp is good if you are a drawer...
i never ever use filters unless is direly needed...i hiss at filter...Hiiss...

Werewulf

when u import?
i use psp to draw
then gimp to alpha since my psp screws the alpha
then i use blp con to convert but it gives low quality..i cant usethe viewer since my tga come upside down..
so photoshop is good if you r a texturer and filter and psp is good if you are a drawer...
i never ever use filters unless is direly needed...i hiss at filter...Hiiss...

Werbung:

Splatt

Off Topic
Double post....BAD WEREWULF!BAD!Don't ever do that,or i will have to...bring 1k of garlic...wait,that's for vampires,silly me....i'll bring...THE WEREWULF CATCHERS!!!
On Topic:
I use photoshop cs2,but the problem is that cs2 is pretty laggy if you have a bad pc,so a better choice would be photoshop cs.I never tried psp,since i ain't really interested in drawing,and i mainly use photoshop cs 2 for gfx and skinning ;-