Installing A New Graphics Card

why is it that whenever i want to show my useless jeapordy-like knowledge, someone has to put me down. I HATE YOU GUYS!!!

*Tony runs out of the room sobbing like a bitch with a skinned knee*

Werbung:

Intro

Well, goddammit..

Guess I shoulda put a little more research into it before getting it. My mom was sweatin' me about Christmas presents so I was like "I'll just tell her to get me this badass video card" [this was before the X1K series dropped..] not thinking it'd actually happen.

Then on Christmas day, there it was. So I didn't really even have a chance to put any thought into it - I more or less just pointed at one and said "oooh!".

So the lesson here is, be sure to find out what kind of slot you have available for graphics cards - AGP, PCI, PCI Express, etc. I think I'm just gonna try and swap this one out for an X850 XT PCI card. Fuck it, maybe I'll man up for a PCI X1K joint.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Intro

So I took the x850 back to Best Buy to trade it for a PCI card.

Got an x1300 pro pci-e AND 120 bucks store credit.

WORD.

Gonna try it out tomorrow after I set it up. My game name will be "PWNJI THE WONDER DOG".

See you then!

WoRm5406

Intro said:
So I took the x850 back to Best Buy to trade it for a PCI card.

Got an x1300 pro pci-e AND 120 bucks store credit.

WORD.

Gonna try it out tomorrow after I set it up. My game name will be "PWNJI THE WONDER DOG".

See you then!

Ok where are you??

Did it work or not?

Intro

I just woke up. Still wiping away the eye boogers.

Gonna pop the hood after I get something to eat.

And thanks for your advice WoRm! Next time I'll call..

8)

Intro

OK - got it in and tested it out.

Everything runs BEAUTIFULLY except for my little smoke nade problem.

When I stand in a smoke on CZ, I go from 100fps to about 40 with my new card. I have plenty of system and RAM to run it. If I change my max smoke puffs and smoke quality, nothing changes.

Anything else I'm missing that you guys can think of?

Any other time I'm at 100fps steady now - why do just smoke nades lag me so bad?

Intro

Here's a couple pictures of the swap:

swap0vr.jpg

Up top is the ATI X300 that came pre-installed with my Dell. It's kinda weird how it doesn't say ATI anywhere on the card. It really didn't say anything besides 'made in china'. I've heard of Dell using knockoff parts in their cases so it made me wonder.. And on bottom is the new new.

hinge8tw.jpg

That's with the card in, ready to rock. Crazy how Dell's cases open now.

Intro

Nope, it's still in the box. I was going to give it to a buddy of mine but he only has PCI slots and it's PCI-Express. I was thinking I'd just keep it and put it back in the computer if I try to sell it and upgrade or something.

Are you interested or something? It's only an x300 and by the looks of it, it might even be a kncokoff..

Werbung:

Intro

Ah yeah - I took the x850pro agp back to Best Buy.

They gave me $200+ credit, so I got an x1300pro pci-e to replace it and a Best Buy credit card with the difference (around 120 bucks I think). Pretty decent swap out.