CBA has its cock in both my teams butts

blze

and then they should buy me a set of 4 season tickets, about 45 yd line, 10 rows up, behind the panthers bench. ya.

Werbung:

MeanMugginFool

Owners are voting Tuesday on a possible deal. 59.5% of the revenue sharingwould go to the players if ratified. It's funny, football is one of the sports that if I played I would definetly want guaranteed money, yet they don't get it. Tell me the owners aren't on the high ground in that league eh?

Darkwing

MeanMugginFool said:
Owners are voting Tuesday on a possible deal. 59.5% of the revenue sharingwould go to the players if ratified. It's funny, football is one of the sports that if I played I would definetly want guaranteed money, yet they don't get it. Tell me the owners aren't on the high ground in that league eh?

yeah I agree, that and hockey should be guaranted money. The risks are high, and contracts can be terminated at any point for any reason. Plus the average nfl carrer is 3 season. I would be out for all I could get as quickley as possible, because I dont know how long I could play football for.

Darkwing

here is the officail story

At a meeting Tuesday in Dallas, NFL owners will vote to accept or reject a players' union proposal to extend the Collective Bargaining Agreement, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

NFL management, led by commissioner Paul Tagliabue called the union an hour before the Sunday midnight deadline to say that they take the proposal to all 32 owners, Mortensen reports. Twenty-four of the 32 owners must OK the deal for it to be ratified.

Monday in New York, Tagliabue, NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw and lawyers for both sides are meeting to put the players' latest proposal into a written document to present to owners for approval.

The league and union agreed to postpone free agency another 72 hours until Thursday at 12:01 a.m. ET. Teams have until 9 p.m. on Wednesday to get under the salary cap of 94.5 million.

"The NFL negotiators called us tonight after our negotiations broke off to indicate that they will take our complete package to the owners for an approval vote on Tuesday," Upshaw said late Sunday night. "We have therefore agreed to extend the free agency deadline until midnight Wednesday in order to provide time for that vote to be accomplished. It was the NFL's previous rejection of our proposal earlier this evening that caused the talks to break down."

The deal that NFL owners will vote on guarantees that players will receive 59.5 percent of all football revenue over the six-year extension of the CBA, Mortensen reports. That 59.5 percent includes a "cash over cap" limit that addresses the concerns of low revenue clubs about how much teams actually spend on their payrolls in a given year.

The deal also includes the ability to give credits and make adjustments on individual teams' spending on cash over the cap, according to what Upshaw told Mortensen. It is possible that a team that exceeds the spending limit will have their salary cap adjusted the following year by the amount they spend over the cap.

That formula could be the subject of major debate during Tuesday's owner meetings in Dallas between low- and high-revenue clubs. Sources told Mortensen that New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft has emerged as the most vocal high-revenue franchise that is a strong dissenter to a new revenue sharing model.

Upshaw said he still thinks revenue sharing is the key, although Harold Henderson, the NFL's executive vice president for labor relations, said it was never discussed Sunday. Upshaw also said the players would do as well or better sticking with the current agreement.

"Under our previous cap agreement, we got just less than 60 percent of all of the revenues. The NFL now wants us to cut that percentage to less than 57 percent. Given the enormous revenue growth the NFL is experiencing, I am not about to give back gains which we have made in the past. It is clear to me that we will do much better under our current CBA in 2006 and particularly in 2007, the uncapped year," Upshaw said

Darkwing

A mother fucking deal is done

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- Labor peace was restored to the NFL when the owners agreed to the players' union proposal Wednesday, extending the collective bargaining agreement for six years.

There were no further details on the agreement, including whether it includes expanded revenue sharing.

The vote was 30-2, with Buffalo and Cincinnati, two low-revenue teams, voting against it.

"On behalf of the players, the NFLPA staff and the negotiating team, we are pleased that this process has finally concluded with an agreement," Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players' Association, said in a statement. "This agreement is not about one side winning or losing. Ultimately, it is about what is best for the players, the owners and the fans of the National Football League.

"Moving forward, this new agreement gives us the opportunity to continue our unprecedented success and growth."

Free agency, put off twice by the protracted negotiations between the owners and players, now will start at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

"It was a good compromise," said Jim Irsay, owner of low-revenue Indianapolis. "We're happy with it -- 30-2 is a good vote."

The agreement concludes weeks of contentious negotiations between the league and the NFL Players' Association. The new extension was expected to add $10 million to the 2006 salary cap, pushing it over $104 million. Without a CBA extension, the 2006 cap would have been $94.5 million.

"The union is delighted," NFLPA attorney Jeffrey Kessler said. "The new CBA is a big leap forward for the players and means a fairer system for all. It also means seven more years of labor peace. Fans can now forget about the lawyers and owners and enjoy football."

Earlier Wednesday, the NFL moved back the waiver deadline for teams to get below the salary cap from 9 p.m. ET Wednesday to 11 p.m. ET.

Had the owners been unable to reach an agreement, it would have put a number of veterans on the street and would have limited the amount of money available for teams to spend in free agency. By reaching a compromise, the league managed to avoid an uncapped year in 2007, which would have allowed some teams to spend almost at will and keep others from spending at all.

Some veterans have already been let go, such as Brentson Buckner, a 13-year veteran who was cut by the Carolina Panthers last week to clear about $1.5 million of cap space.

"It was eventually going to happen, they had to get it done," he said. "But it's good because now it gives guys who put in the time to become a big-time free agent, the guys like Edgerrin James, the chance to go out and get what they've earned."

The crux of the debate over the last few days has centered on revenue sharing and the disparity between high- and low-income teams. Low-income teams such as Buffalo, Cincinnati and Indianapolis say that high-revenue teams -- Dallas, Washington and Philadelphia, for instance -- should contribute proportionately to the player pool because they can earn far more in non-football income such as advertising and local radio rights.

Those high-revenue teams might contribute only 10 percent of their outside money compared with 50 percent or more for low-revenue teams.

"Some teams are contributing a little more than others," Redskins owner Dan Synder said. "This is really a win-win."

Upshaw has insisted throughout more than a year of negotiations that the division between owners must be resolved before agreement could be reached on a contract extension.

slick

yeah, thats what we need..the NFL to break up. Then wtf we gonna watch? figure skating?

Seriously this is the one teamsport that is worth watching IMO.
Baseball...no comment, no offense
NBA 80!!!! games a season...wtf?
Hockey......pffft
Soccer...yeah, ok...

MeanMugginFool

shit, the NFL draft is more exciting than most baseball games, and don't even get me started on NBA basketball. NFL and NCAA Football is probably some of the best pro sports has to offer as far as excitment. I hope someday soccer catches on more in the US, but probably not as long as teams like the Metrostars get bought by companies like Red Bull and renamed "Red Bull New York." Either way I will be watching as much of the World Cup this summer as possible, and rooting hard for the US as always.

blze

"NCAA football.....pro sports has to offer..." lawl.

college basketball.

NFL, as Perceived by blze

i think the thing to remember here is that it is about PLAYING these games and not about you sitting on your fat ass and seeing who can entertain you the most...

we are very picky due to our lazyness and lack of motivation. NFL has been commercially marketed very well. It is a finite season where any dumbshit can figure out the stats and who is in first place. they stop after every play so each armchair qb can say why he thinks the play was a bust or a success (this person MUST be 5'7" or less and less than 140lbs assuring us he never participated in the sport in his life or the argument goes by the wayside). they also use a scoring system that "appears" to make them "score more points." lots of smoke and mirrors here, sry to break it to you like this.

bottom line is, for the players ON the field it is a very complex game. for us on the couch, it has been turned into a very simple game, of which any schmo off the streets can grasp its concept in a short period of time, which is why i believe we, the masses, are so loyal to it. it also is a very "manly" activity in a society where most men feel they have to prove their manhood by their activities. that being said:

GO PANTHERS !

Werbung:

Darkwing

ok, I agree with Blze and on the superficail level hes right, but for anyone who has played the sport we know there is allot more going on then what they are talking about, hell if John Madden dosent feel like talking football him and Micheals start a bs session. I mean I usaully can pick out what defense, who will drop into what coverage, what package and etc. On offense its allitle harder. in the end it is made simple. but its not nearly as simple as that if you know what to look for, and with my widecreen HDTV I get a very good look at what going on at the line of scrimage.