TerranUp16

Thanks to Arkidas for allowing and suggesting this

WartideLogo.png

What is Wartide?
Wartide is a free, standalone game project- not a mod

What engine is Wartide using?
Ogre 3D

What genre is it?
RTS/RTT (Real-Time Strategy/Real-Time Tactics)

What is Wartide about?
Wartide embodies a sci-fi/fantasy universe that begins with two, separate wars that ultimately intertwine. Wartide will feature four, distinct factions, codenamed the Protectorate, guerrillas, vampires, and biofreaks. The Protectorate serves as the human faction. They are the dominant human governing body (but not the only one) in the sector of space that Wartide occurs in. They possess technology that consists of primarily evolved Earthly technology. Their primary weaponry consists of coilstorm- rapid-firing coil guns- rail guns, missiles, bombs, etc... They are at war with the guerrillas, an alien faction who has recently mounted assaults against the Protectorate. The Protectorate believes this species to be one of mercenaries who have been urged by the Protectorate's rivals to mount such assaults. Of course, the Protectorate has failed to truly grasp the guerrilla's purpose- not until they discovered the guerrilla homeworld did they even realize they were dealing with an alien species. Nevertheless, the guerrillas have their own agenda for the attacks, but since the Protectorate located their homeworld they have been on the run and fighting a war of survival, the best way they know how- with guerrilla warfare. Their technology comes largely from the humans, but it lags behind that of the Protectorate. They therefore rely more on metalstorm, rockets, missiles, mines, etc... but their greatest reliance is on their own cunning intellect. Meanwhile, the vampires have maintained a vast empire on the galactic fringe for ages, having done so by consistently fighting upwards of five wars on separate fronts at any given time. The long lives and low birthrate of the vampires has caused them to adapt to utilizing smaller amounts of forces to greater effect. They possess the most advanced technology in the game, utilizing a plethora of nanotechnology. However, they also possess psionic abilities. The vampires have finally encountered a true threat to their empire in the form of the biofreaks. The biofreaks have assaulted the vampire empire, and are having far more success than any race before them has had. Their conqueror mentality combined with their potent biotechnology have saddled the vampires with perhaps more than even they can chew.

What will the gameplay be like?
The game which presently comes closest to Wartide from a gameplay standpoint is Company of Heroes. However, Wartide is not Company of Heroes. Wartide will feature deep combat systems that range from cover to realistic visibility to realistic accuracy. Wartide also makes true guerrilla warfare in a strategy game possible, and since two of Wartide's faction will heavily favor guerrilla and surgical warfare, that's a good thing. Players will be able to manage all of this directly or will be able to utilize a deep, but accessible, system of customized automation (meaning you don't need to babysit every unit in your army, but also that every unit in your army still does what you want it to). Wartide derives a vast reservoir of tactical and strategic depth from its four factions, each of which is completely unique. Each faction possesses its own resource and unit acquisition systems, as well as its own units, abilities, and strategic focus. While some may fear this diversity might breed an excess of complexity, the differences between the factions are core, and therefore easier to understand and recognize than games with more homogeneous factions whose only differences are stats (looks at the Age of Empires series).

That sounds great, but this is a Blizzard community, so you know that I love custom content.
Yep, we completely understand the importance of user-created content, because almost our entire team is composed of mappers and modders. Thus, what I have described above is really only half of Wartide- the half that we will create. The other half is what you, the user, create. We plan to supply a powerful world editor to allow for the creation of custom maps. We also plan to code the game so that it is very moddable. And, of course, we plan to support both maps and mods all the way. This means we will be placing a huge emphasis on figuring out how best to cater to the mapping and modding community- and I can tell you, we already have some great ideas (thanks, in large part, to our own experience in mapping and modding). Wartide will also feature the ability to create new modes, which will essentially allow players to use scripting/triggering to create different modes of play that can work on a wide range of maps (from the ones we provide with Wartide to maps created by users) as opposed to just one or as opposed to needing to create and distribute an entire mod. Truly, catering to user-created content is half of the purpose of Wartide.

Ok, I'm interested- do you have a website where I can find more information?
Not yet. We're presently working on our wartidegame.com website, but until that's up check-out our new forums at http://forum.wartidegame.com/. We will be shifting servers later today or tomorrow, so if you register now you may need to re-register later but if you do register we can keep you updated on that development.

Do you have any screenshots?
This post on our official forums contains all of our released media

When do you plan to release Wartide?
When it's done ;)

I'm interested in helping Wartide- how can I communicate this to you?
When our new website is up, we will have an application form that you can fill-out and submit. However, until then, just pop me an e-mail (TerranUp16@hotmail.com) or pm to me with what you think you can help with, your past experience, and work samples.

ProtectorateEngineerArt.png

Werbung:

Fladian

Terran, a friendly piece of advice: Dark red is really hard to read on a black background. And highlighting everything really takes the mood away. =P

Well, I'm off for the next month...

Deskalada

Meh

i find 443^435 bad polygons

and i see that you havent evan taken advantage of Superreanderd particals

(but i dont nativly porgram useing OGRE 3d i use DarkGDK)

But if you want some website help i can get that done

TerranUp16

Nice, I'll get back to you on the website asap.

Speaking of the art, most of that is outside of Ogre atm and all of it is WIP.

Shigee

Truly i have no idea what your trying to say here, nor can i tell where you are getting the polycounts from. Also every image you see is rendered in a 3d program and not in Ogre.

As to particles...i have no idea what you are saying there. Nor do i see a need to have used particles in anything we have shown.

Meh

i find 443^435 bad polygons

and i see that you havent evan taken advantage of Superreanderd particals

(but i dont nativly porgram useing OGRE 3d i use DarkGDK)

But if you want some website help i can get that done

Werbung:

TerranUp16

Welcome to the Team of Silence

Your website doesn't even work.

'cause it's not up yet? We're working on the site and the forum skin, though progress is slowing atm because of finals for school. However, things will kick back up again in ~a week (actually, we may have a rather nice announcement soon too). I should also mention that just because we're silent publicly doesn't mean we are "behind closed doors" ;)

And This Link Works