Valve to make content for the Wii?

Becky

Found this article a couple of days ago and forgot to mention it. :blush: In an interview with Valve's head honcho, Gabe Newell, he has revealed that the Wii is a valuable console to develop for. Valve are one of the leading games development companies, responsible for bringing us the legendary Half-Life and Counter-Strike games.

Here's the key quote, but you can find the entire article here.

GI: Do you think from now on you’ll keep outsourcing PS3 projects [ed: Orange Box for PS3 is being done by EA], or will you start bringing those projects in house?

Newell: I think we’ll bring them in house more for licensees issues than our own. Just for our own priorities, that puts the Wii at a much higher priority at understanding that. I think the Wii represents more of a challenge because of its input. You can think of the Xbox 360 as pretty much a PC and a PlayStation as kind of a PC. The Wii gives you a bunch of problems that don’t fit into that model. You can’t think of it as graphics, CPU, texture bandwith scaling, you have to think of it as more fundamentally, and I think it’s more valuable. I think it’s more interesting than just graphics chip – CPU combination. It’s the machine I have at home. The fact that we don’t have anything in development on it even though it represents big opportunities as a whole, it’s an obvious hole in our strategy.

Considering the innovative quality of gaming Valve have brought to the market, this could mean great things are ahead for the Wii.

Werbung:

Liister87

Becky said:
Found this article a couple of days ago and forgot to mention it. :blush: In an interview with Valve's head honcho, Gabe Newell, he has revealed that the Wii is a valuable console to develop for. Valve are one of the leading games development companies, responsible for bringing us the legendary Half-Life and Counter-Strike games.

GI: Do you think from now on you’ll keep outsourcing PS3 projects [ed: Orange Box for PS3 is being done by EA], or will you start bringing those projects in house?

Newell: I think we’ll bring them in house more for licensees issues than our own. Just for our own priorities, that puts the Wii at a much higher priority at understanding that. I think the Wii represents more of a challenge because of its input. You can think of the Xbox 360 as pretty much a PC and a PlayStation as kind of a PC. The Wii gives you a bunch of problems that don’t fit into that model. You can’t think of it as graphics, CPU, texture bandwith scaling, you have to think of it as more fundamentally, and I think it’s more valuable. I think it’s more interesting than just graphics chip – CPU combination. It’s the machine I have at home. The fact that we don’t have anything in development on it even though it represents big opportunities as a whole, it’s an obvious hole in our strategy.

Considering the innovative quality of gaming Valve have brought to the market, this could mean great things are ahead for the Wii.

Wow this sounds awesome, i loved Half Life 2 (yet to complete it) and the quality of the games, especially HF2 online that was brilliant i can't wait to see what lies in store for this!

kaitora

kennyluciano said:
great news, ive said it before but IMAGINE GRAV GUN WITH WII REMOTE!

i love the classic FPS games... but is it going to be a half life game... or another type of game altogether?

hockeyhero

Becky said:

awesome :yess:......thnx for the link and info becky..:friends:

Becky

I'm glad people have found this news interesting. I don't know what Valve will bring to the table, it might be a little late to port Half-Life 2 over. Though I agree with kennyluciano that the grav gun with the wiimote would be awesome!

I'm hoping they will release Portal for the Wii, the control system could provide some interesting possibilities. For those who haven't heard of Portal, you can find out more here.

It would be great if they released the upcoming Team Fortress 2 as well. The style looks like it would suit the Wii beautifully and I'm sure many action fans would appreciate a high-quality multiplayer FPS.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be good. Perhaps just as important, the public admission by Valve of the Wii's credibility as a serious platform can only encourage further interest from other big-name developers.

Werbung:

kennyluciano

Becky said:
I'm glad people have found this news interesting. I don't know what Valve will bring to the table, it might be a little late to port Half-Life 2 over. Though I agree with kennyluciano that the grav gun with the wiimote would be awesome!

I'm hoping they will release Portal for the Wii, the control system could provide some interesting possibilities. For those who haven't heard of Portal, you can find out more here.

It would be great if they released the upcoming Team Fortress 2 as well. The style looks like it would suit the Wii beautifully and I'm sure many action fans would appreciate a high-quality multiplayer FPS.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be good. Perhaps just as important, the public admission by Valve of the Wii's credibility as a serious platform can only encourage further interest from other big-name developers.

I Was thinking they could port portal, however im not so sure about hl2, its a 3 year old game and not really designed for the Wii.

I Think Valve should design fun/experimental games on the Wii, Such as portal because the wii would be the best platform to experiment with IMO