Story Contest Submission Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undead_Lives

Here is where all of the stories will be stored for easy access and availability.
Topic is close because this thread is not meant for talking, just for storage.

Submitted by Vess:

In the chaos after the "Big Bang" all manner of matter and energy flew rampant. Among the energies that transcend our known dimensions is that of spirit. It to was scattered in the disarray. A small collection of this substance was franticly attempting to cling to something lest it be lost in the void.
With no reference to measure time it may have been years before the energy found substance, found matter, found the gem. This crystalline stone has properties beyond comprehension. The crystal absorbs electromagnetism and expels Psi, the essence of spirit. Thus the Krisalmun was born.
The spirit gifted with a perfect memory found it could create a psi vacuum that would cause the crystal to absorb more energy. And by the same token could force himself through to manifest in light heat or any other wave length. But rather than expel energy the Krisalmun preferred to consume it.
It was at this point that the krisalmun witnessed a miracle. It saw two asroides collide. This sparked a primitive fascination with opposing forces. The Krisalmun wanted to know more, know all. It began to cause or participate in these collisions by expelling quick bursts of heat. Learning to do this well gave him the ability to move.
Over the millennia he would learn many such gifts. Including the most powerful form of stored energy, the atom. The Krisalmun learned to split atoms and absorb the resulting explosion. and with this power He could rebuild the atom. The master of matter takes form. He builds him self a body, networked with crystal fibers to help distribute his energy.
The Krisalmun eventually found a planet and wished to learn from it. So as this rugged planet developed so did he. And even as life formed around him, he observed how cell battled cell. Life had conflicts as well. This kind of struggle would occupy the rest of his known existence. Observing battles, fighting them becoming an oracle to those needing guidance. His body appears only as he wills. And he wills his story to be known.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by Hunter_Destruction:

END PART 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by Kem Rixen:

Rex Pete and the story that went nowhere and back again

The sun glistened on the leaves from the recently fallen rain, the leaves happened to be pilled, not in any particular fashion on a tree stump. The typical moment that starts any good story. From far down the road a man could be heard whistling, not any distinguishable tune. The whistling became louder as the man approached and it became easier to see him, he was almost three feet tall, and was wearing an Indiana Jones-like costume. He was on his way to a party, a costume party actually, where he would stumble into yet another clichéd moment.

But lets forget about him for a moment and focus on someone more interesting, Rex Pete, a man who recently discovered that tuna really weren't the chicken of the sea. He had discovered, what he called, the murderous Sea Chicken, which, in ancient times was said to rip ships in twain with its mighty wings. Up until this point the Sea Chicken was a think of myths, a mere fabrication, similar to that of the abominable snowman and the theory of gravity. This was an amazing discovered, dulled by the name, which, was wildly agreed to be a very poor name. Rex Pete was a man who had never been good at thinking up original names. In fact, if it hadn't been for his wife, he son would've been named Son, instead of Thomas, which is, of course, a much more respectable and reasonable name.

Rex Pete was currently located within an ancient Mayan temple, searching for the buried treasure of the notorious Blackbeard the pirate. Where Rex Pete got the unreasonable idea that the treasure was in a Mayan temple is a mystery unto itself, for it all started last Wednesday, or perhaps Thursday, either way, it doesn't matter the day. Rex Pete had walked out of his chrome colored apartment building onto the chrome colored street, wearing a very nice chrome colored suit. He walked down the chrome colored steps, past th e chrome colored plant, which seemed to be whithering actually. As he reached the bottom of the steps and started walking down the street, things ceased immediately to be chrome, for it was only where Rex Pete lived that things were required to be chrome. Rex Pete put up with it as the rent was very low for such a nice apartment, even if he did get a lot of strange looks in a chrome suit.

As he turned another corner, he saw a slip of paper fall out of an old lady's pocket, he dashed forwards to pick it up and give it to her, but when he looked up again, she was nowhere to be seen. He shrugged and looked at the paper, it was a map, a map that supposedly went to the treasure of the notorious Blackbeard the pirate, how the map ended up in that lady's pocket is a mystery unto itself. It was early Tuesday, or perhaps Wednesday, depending on when the previous account was....

The old lady had been driving her car down the street when she happened upon a car accident, when she got out of the car she saw a man getting out of the car, he was a tall man, about six feet tall and was wearing an Indiana Jones-like costume. He walked over to her and gave her a piece of paper, telling her, in an overly dramatic moment, that she would know when she needed it. The man began to walk away, he walked for days and nights, he enjoyed to whistle, so thats what he spent most of his time doing. He walked past a tree stump with leaves that glistened with the rain of newly fallen rain. In his travels he had heard of a party, a costume party, with his Indiana Jones costume he would fit in nicely. After an few uneventful hours he reached the costume party, he didn't have a ticket, but, with his good looks, he managed to coax them into letting him in.

Inside the party he met a beautiful women, it was love at first sight, they did everything together. They h ad children, and lived happily ever after, or they would've if he hadn't been thrown out of the costume party five minutes in for lewd gestures towards the female DJ.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by IlidanStormrage:

Seas of Sorrow

Prologue
Enemies, Old and New

I
Shift.
Gerald’s eyes jerked open. A dim grey light from the early morning filled them slowly. His small tent shuttered as the wind hit it lightly. His face was damp with sweat, but he could remember no nightmare. The air was still too cool.
Shift.
He sat up slowly. Everything was as he left it; the lantern was on his left, a small journal on his right, and some food stocks in front of him.
Shift.
The tent door was still knotted shut with a bundle of Komako hair. The wood beams running across the top and down each side in the front and back still held.
Stop.
He crawled to the door, undoing the knot of Komako hair. Pulling it open, he stepped out into the cool, morning air. It was still dry, but at least cool. The rest of the camp was still sleeping. Light snores caught his ears, but he ignored them. It was the shape on the hill, shrouded in darkness, which required all his attention.
Had he been more awake, he would have brought some guards. At these early morning hours, though, he slowly approached the figure alone, with only a belt knife in hand. Slowly, he began to unsheathe it.
Stop. A ringing filled his head. He nearly collapsed. It felt as though a thousand hands pounded at his head. Everything began darkening.
Abruptly, it stopped. Light flooded back into his vision. “Come.. Back…” He stared with amazement as he looked ahead. Where a man had stood only minutes ago, nothing. Just the barren bleakness of the desert rolling ahead of him. He shook his head as he began hobbling back to his tent. Old age has sure got me, he thought to himself.

II
Shift.
Walter pulled his lips back abruptly.
“Is something wrong, my love?” Ilkya’s voice drummed in his ears as he lay there with his face pulled awkwardly back from hers.
“Nothing… it’s noth-”
Shift.
“ing.” He sat up, shaking lightly. The grey light filled his eyes as a… a darkness seemed to fade away. Only it wasn’t dark. “Everything’s fine my-”
Shift.
“-love. Everything’s fine..” It didn’t feel fine to him. His head throbbed, that darkness-that-was-not-darkness clearing again. He began to crawl toward the door.
“You aren’t leaving without me,” Ilkya toned in. She sat up, pulled her blouse down from the side of the tent and tied it on. Walter had already started to leave. “I said you won’t lea-”
“Shut up! You aren’t coming.. Not this-”
Stop.
He collapsed out of the tent as darkness grabbed him. Before he even hit the ground, though, it was clearing. Panting, he caught and pulled himself out. “Stay there Ilkya… I won’t lose you.” He stood up, broke into a run.
The soft sand padded under his feet. He tripped over a charred log, falling into a pile of gear and rations. What the hell is that doing out here? he thought to himself. He hopped back to his feet and began running again.
Stop. He felt as though was pushed, stumbling forward, feet slightly off the ground. His head felt like it was going to burst as that darkness-that-was-not-darkness filled his vision and just as quickly faded away. He skidded to a halt on the dry sand, shirt tattered on the rocks that scrapped his chest.
Lifting his head, he saw Gerald hobbling back to his tent. Old age has sure got him, Walter thought to himself. He turned his head at the sound of footsteps.
“You never run off like that again or.. Or..” Ilkya began sobbing as she wrapped her arms around Walter and lay her head on his shoulder. “Never do that again,” she said through her sobs.
“What is going on?” he said quietly to himself, hugging Ilkya back and lightly kissing her on the top of her head. “What in the name of God is going on?” He raised his head in the air as the light slowly filled the sky and the camp.

III
In his old age, Gerald did not even heard the tent flap open behind him. He sat, meditating, as the figure stepped up behind him. Just as the figures foot landed less than an arms reach behind Gerald, he noticed.
“Who are you?”
I have many names. I have many faces, the figure said, yet, it didn’t say. The words simply filled Gerald’s mind. But you can call me The Reaper.
Gerald sat, frozen. He was paralyzed with fear. The Reaper. A shape shifter, some said. A spirit, others. Sometimes, a demon. “You won’t kill me like you did my father. I won’t-”
You’re right, I won’t kill you. Not yet, at least. I have far too much use for you. But you will listen and obey. That darkness-that-was-not-darkness now gripped Gerald. His vision faded into nothingness as the figure manifested entirely in his mind. I am chief.

IV
In the small tent, the cool night air seemed to grip both Ilkya and Walter. Ilkya pushed herself ever tighter against Walter’s body as they lie on the small pad.
“What happened, just tell me!” she sobbed. Her eyes were red from tears, but she couldn’t stop. It ate at her mind.
“I don’t know.. I wish I did… please.. Stop crying… nothing will go wrong.. Nothing…” It hurt him to see her in such pain. He told her all he knew: Nothing. He had no idea what had happened. He only wanted her happy again. In their pain, they didn’t even see the figure walk into the tent and stand staring down at them.
But I know what happened. Ilkya screamed. The voice filled their heads. A voice like steel, and ice. Seizing his sword, Walter stood up, sword held in front of him, yet it quivered with his shaking hands..
“You get the hell away from her. You get out! Here me? GET OUT!” He lunged forward, slicing down…
And the figure simply… moved. Or maybe the world moved around it. I’m not here to hurt either of you. Not when I still need you. Both of you. As dark as the figure was, Walter could swear he saw a smile cross it’s face. Ilkya lay in the corner sobbing, muttering indiscernible words.
“Who… who are you?” Walter questioned, stuttering. Spirits, he was afraid.
Call me The Reaper.

V
The small, circular light bulb swung and flickered lightly in the gunslinger’s “office”. Dirty, steel walls stood around the room, some rusting from age. His desk was the only one, sitting in the middle of the room, made of some strange wood this world had not seen the likes of. Magazines, books, and papers scattered the room. A small replica of his guns served as a paperweight on his desk. On the left side of the room, a bookshelf laid broken and overturned.
He could still remember first coming to The Tower, bedraggled, worn, and near death. But now he was the highest gunslinger in The Tower, a man the world feared. What he had always wanted to be. He chuckled at the thought of the world trembling as they bowed before him, Robert Gunne, the Master Gunslinger, lord of the world.
His eagle eyes caught the ant as it crawled onto the desk. Smashing it, he snarled. Anger boiled as he thought of that priest who escaped - ESCAPED! Something no one else had ever done from The Tower! - and planned. He would have him back if it took him a lifetime. He would have him back if…
A knock came at the door. “Come in,” he told them, in his sandpaper voice. The man who walked in was tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes. He was well built, with little fat on his body.
“Master Gunne, message has come.” The man handed him a small, plastic tube containing a rolled piece of paper.
“You are dismissed, gunslinger.” Gunne waved the man out. Pulling the cork out of the end of the plastic tube, he removed the letter and began reading it.

Robert Gunne,
The priest’s location has been tracked down. He is in a small town in the Korag. He has been here for years, now. How he has eluded us is a mystery to me, but he won’t any longer. Bring your best. We’ll have him before the winter’s end.

There was no signature on the letter, but Gunne needed none to know the letter came from Richard Erik, his master spy. Finally, the final word Gunne needed to confirm that he would have his revenge, his ever so sweet revenge.
Getting up, he slipped into his chaps, walked hastily to the door, and threw it open. The hallway held the same rusty, steel walls and flickering lights that his room held. Poorly cared for floors creaked under his steps. His boots clanked loudly as he walked toward the barracks.
At the end of the hallway stood a large door, which he shoved open as he drew his jacked around himself. Outside, snow blew in the heavy wind that plagued the area. The Tower was oddly named, for it was no tower. It was a large group of buildings left over from the Machine Wars. Thousands of gunslingers called the place home, though many were just bookkeepers and workers. Few ever became true gunslingers and left to do their part in the world. Few ever found out what their part in the world was.
Gunne came to a large, square building. He opened the two doors and stepped inside. It was much warmer inside, hundreds of beds lining the walls and running down the room. Men and women moved about, hauling boxes, changing sheets on beds, and arranging the building, among other things. Shortly after his entrance, though, activity stopped.
“All hail Robert Gunne, the Master Gunslinger!” The cheer echoed among the soldiers and workers, who pounded their chest in respect. A grim smile spread across Gunne’s face. He would have his revenge against that priest, and soon.

VI
The cliff-side city of Guardian’s Port rose hundreds of feet away from the narrow, golden shoreline that made it’s home on the western edge of Kamador. Wood and stone buildings towered up along and in the cliffs, walkways and ladders connecting them. Above the cliffs, the Borganian Wall rose, another of those few survivals from an age long past. Fields rolled for miles atop the cliff that the city sat on, trees dotting the unfarmed regions and mountains jutting from the land to the north.
The city was a bustle this day, the third day into the Week of Eternal Lights. Not many remembered what the festival stood for, but few even cared. Drinking, partying, fireworks, all a part of the festival. Men and women danced in the walkways and plazas throughout the city, many indecently. And at the end of it all, of course, came the Battle of the Bay: the reenactment of the battle long ago when the Gral battleships descended on the city, followed by days of fighting and battle.
It was, of course, only coincidence that that battle should happen at the end of the festival, that Bryna knew. Of the few houses and families that knew the truth of the holiday, she was part of one. Bryna was a young woman, looking about twenty, with dark blonde hair and deep blue eyes. She was well muscled for a women, having lived her life with her father - a tavern owner - and her two older brothers - sailors.
She walked to the window and looked out longingly. Outside, dancers tumbled and turned in the small plaza near her family’s in. The Golden Crane, they called it. It was an older building, wooden fronted with the “front floor” - being the cliff city it was, most from Guardian’s Port referred to the front line of rooms in a building as the front floor, with the floors going back into the cliff until you reached the back floor - but stone beyond. The inn was well kept, though, and drew hundreds of travelers each year. Yet, Bryna wanted more. She had always wanted to see the world, to go somewhere and be someone she knew she couldn’t as long as her family still had a say.
Turning, she took in her small room before heading back down to the commons. A picture hung on each wall - One of her father ahead, one of her mother to the left, one of her stillborn sister to the right, and one of the city behind her - as well as some low quality tapestries. Her bed was to the right of the window, intricately stitched quilt her mother had made her before she died tucked neatly around it. A small table and chair sat in the left corner, near the door, her writings scattered about it. She walked to the door on the wooden floor, opened it, and hastily ran down the stairs to the commons room.
She reached the commons room just as the door swung open. In it stood a tall man of middle age, with dark hair and a small black goatee. He caught her eyes almost immediately, but she could not put her finger on why. He wasn’t really attractive, at least not in her opinion, but something about him drew her. She continued toward the kitchen still staring at him. She noticed the rest of the people were staring, too. She headed towards the kitchen, turning away.
“Where’s the inn mistress?” She had almost made it into the kitchen as his voice piped up. Her cheeks flushed red as she tried to push down the blush, but could not. Slowly she turned to face him.
“That… would be me… my Lord,” she spoke, however slowly. Her cheeks began to clear of the reddening.
“I would like to speak with you. In private, if you don’t mind.” His voice was… dominating. That was the only way she could describe it. She could not say no.
“Come with me to the kitchen… my Lord.” She was trembling she noticed, and forced herself to stop. The man approached with haste, walking in long flowing strides, his stirrups jangling on the wooden floor. She turned and began heading into the kitchen.
The kitchen was large, and white. Most of the walls were marble - that was what the cliff was made of, mainly - but some were simple stone, painted white. Pots and pans hung about the large kitchen, stoves still cooking and maids clearing out as she walked in. Just as she reached the far wall, the man seized her by her shirt.
He stuffed a bag of coins down her bosom. She began to flush, but he spoke fast, not seeming to notice. “This should be enough money. I need you to find me a ship willing reach Settler’s Point within the month. I also need a room for tonight.”
She had no idea what to say. A man seizes her by her shirt, shoves money down it, and asks for a room and a ship? He was mad! “I don’t know how you expect me to have a sh-”
“Your father is one of the most powerful men in this city. Find me a bloody ship!” he interrupted with that dominating voice. “If you can’t, give me the bloody money back and I’ll find some other bloody flaming woman to do the job.”
She grabbed his arms. They felt so strong in her hands. “You can have my room tonight, and I’ll have your ship.” She was falling for him. God, but she had become weak by men! “In the name of God, I swear it.”
He almost looked repulsed. “Good,” was all he said. He turned to leave, but she grabbed his shoulder.
“What is your name?”
“Balasar.”
He walked out with that long stride. How had she become so infatuated with the man so fast?

VII
Miles of desert beached rolled north and south of the single city on Azuran. Single permanent city, that is. True, the De’An called the continent home, but they never settled in one place. A strange people they were. The city was not large, really, but it was spread out. Miles of city reached along the smooth shore, mostly clay and stone houses. The cost to bring wood here was too large for any but nobles, and what noble would call this place home? The city was all but ungoverned, the small Council watching over the city and keeping unrest down. For a city twice as large area wise as Talidad, it held only a third the people. This land was brutal, far too brutal for most people. Of course, the city being open to human and Gral alike, trade was a huge industry, as well as mining and archeology further inland. Fishing was a small industry, considering the coastal location of Settler’s Point, but still thrived.
The large marble palace that the Council called it’s own stood towering over the rest of the town. Brilliant stained glass windows and towers reflected sunlight down on the town, giving the palace its name: Bastion of Light. Hallways and corridors would go unused most of the time, only the Hall of Light and Council Quarters being used on a regular basis. Catacombs where the dead were laid to rest sprawled under the Bastion, and much of the city, too. Dead nobles, Councilmen, and warriors laid there honorable to rest as they took the final embrace.
“We cannot allow this intrusion into our city!” The High Chancellor’s voice echoed through the huge building. “The De’An come back to the city after nearly five hundred years and take up the abandoned buildings in the south. At the same time, the Gral come back, thousands of them, heading in land! I demand the Council see this and call for change!” Of course, no change would come. The city had been neutral for ages. They could not now tell the De’An and Gral to leave.
“Chancellor, the De’An and Gral are as welcome here as the people from Kamador and Turabi. If we change policy now, the De’An will unite again against us, and in our weakness, the Gral will hit us just as hard as they did so long ago back in Kamador.” Richard was a powerful man, rich and highly respected. He had blonde hair, a full mustache, and dark skin. Even for the son of De’An father and Kamadoran mother, he was still shorter than average. Large, grey eyes dominated his face above his mustache and beard.
“Councilor Richard, your word has as little right to be heard as a slaves.” The man who spoke was Torvan, a rich former Kamadoran lord, tall and dark haired and eyed. Richard was appalled. The old man was completely racist against the De’An, everyone knew it. And for him to say this!
“I swear to God Torvan, you bring race into this and I’ll bloody kill you! Do you hear me? Kill you!” Richard stormed out, doors to the Hall slamming shut behind him. He knew he had just given up his place as a Councilor. Time to find a new life.
As he came to his room, he collapsed. “You have forsaken me, God! Forsaken me!” Tears ran down his face, anger boiling up inside. He would live up to his threat.
Within two days, word of his departure had spread. A ship had taken him to God knows where.

*NOTE: Italics and such were removed from this story. If you wish to read it with them, please check out IlidanStormrage's original topic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by johnfn:

Untitled II

She drove down the road in her jeep, Fred.
She had nicknamed the jeep Fred because it
reminded her of someone she knew named
Fred. Steady, dependable, but sometimes it
would break down for no reason. Around the
car, yellow dandelions were sprouting up
all over the place like the sun peeking out
behind a green cloud. She glanced on the
other side of the road. Tulips were growing
haphazardly in the middle of the road, even
though they were purposefully planted. She
brought her attention back to the road and
the huge hulking metal contraptions of
noise and pollution that seemed to live on
it. Funny how something nature made - even
as small as a dandelion - seemed to radiate
perfection, whereas humans' constructions
seemed only capable to destroy.

The man pulled the string on his contraption. At first it seemed
dead. He pulled it a few more times and then it suddenly sprung
to life with a loud roar. It buzzed and it snarled and it hissed and
it rattled. He didn't particularly like his job, but whenever he
thought of quitting he remembered his family. He realized, for
the first time, that most likely if he wasn't around that they would
probably be homeless.

Pushing those thoughts aside, he focused his attention on the thing
that thrashed around in his hands as if it had a life of it's own. These
things must make the loudest noise. His boss had directed him to cut
down trees in that direction, which he had accompanied with a vague
gesture. He looked at the trees around him. They looked utterly random,
at least to him. He called the gesture up in his mind and tried to follow it,
but then almost ran into a marked tree. That was easy enough... He started
cutting it down, but something felt wrong. A pang of doubt ran through his mind.
His intuition, which his parents had told him a long time ago never to
doubt, was bothering him. Something wasn't quite right with this tree...
but he shoved his doubts aside and continued cutting.

Then several things happened at once. The saw hit a small but strong
metal spike inside the tree. The saw's blades were instantly grinded away,
and the strong forward momentum of the saw was rebounded back at him,
because of the spike. As all this happened, time stopped. The man
realized that someone had put a spike in the tree to protect it, probably
some crazy environmentalist. He realized how ironic this was, because now the
saw wasn't going to kill the tree, it was going to kill him. Then time
continued flowing, and his realization became reality.

Much deeper in
the forest, someone
pounded another
spike into a tree.
A pang of doubt
had ran through
his mind when
he heard the chainsaw
fire up. A friend had
assuaged his doubts,
however.
Maybe he was killing
people, but if he
didn't do it, the
loggers were
going to
kill them all.

Far away, in a house overlooking the forest, a man stepped outside on to his balcony. The forest with the sun setting behind it sure did look beautiful. Maybe he should paint a picture.

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Updated, so I'm giving this a bump :p

EDIT: Ok, ran out of room, so this post WILL serve some purpose :p

Submitted by Balarkin:

The Wandering Man

PROLOGUE –
THE HOODED MAN

A traveler walking by foot entered the lantern-lit city of Noran. The air was strangely still. The moon was high overhead, shining its eerie white light on the ground below. Stars littered the sky. This light illuminated the traveler’s hood covered in grime over his face, assuming he even had one. The wandering man walked with nothing on his back, a brown cloak equally as dirty as his hood, and wrapped pieces of sickly yellow strips over his arms. He was completely covered; every millimeter of skin was unseen.
A deliveryman watched this shadowed man with interest. The hooded man walked slowly, as if he had all the time in the world. Perhaps he did. The deliveryman followed the wandering man to the inn. No conscious effort was seen to make the door open, and yet it had. The wandering man walked in, seemingly oblivious of this fact. The deliveryman followed him.
The innkeeper had finished cleaning a mug with a dirty rag and put it under the counter. He smiled at the fact it probably still was dirty. Then he noticed the wandering man approaching. There was an icy force around the man. The normally warm inn suddenly became cold and distant to him. The wandering man was walking with an indescribable manner. The pace was so slow, hiding any possible legs under that cloak. Suddenly, the innkeeper realized he had dropped his rag. He hastily picked it up as the wandering man set his shielded hand onto the counter. As the man stood shakily up, he noticed a beetle crawling out of the hand. He shivered, the air suddenly becoming chillier. The innkeeper sensed some eyes probing him. Except it felt much more than that. It felt as if the wandering man was piercing his very self, searching every detail, every pore of his body. The wandering man spoke with a rasping voice that set chills down the innkeeper’s spine.
“Give me,” his voice grated, “a room.”
The innkeeper looked over the wandering man’s shoulder. He saw the deliveryman entering. The innkeeper gazed into his eyes and desperately hoped he would understand.
The deliveryman noticed the wandering man talking to the innkeeper. He felt uncomfortable when he saw the man, but he quickly shook it off. Then he saw the innkeeper. The innkeeper was shaking badly. There was an intense look in the innkeeper’s eyes. The deliveryman realized it was fear, but saw something more. Then he knew.
Quietly, but quickly, the deliveryman exited the inn, away from the wandering man. There was something wrong about that man. Someone who could make the innkeeper react like that . . . He didn’t know what was going to happen nor did he care. Carefully leading his messenger’s horse out of the stable, the deliveryman saddled the horse, all the while eyeing the inn with the corner of his eye.
Once done, he climbed onto the horse and urged it to gallop. Faster, the deliveryman drove. His horse seemed to sense the danger, running with frightening haste past the many houses and plants that littered the ground, past the ancient sign that barely told the name of the city it was in, then abruptly flew into the air, stopping short of the gate of Noran.
Noran had burst aflame.

CHAPTER ONE –
THE SOLDIER

The full moon shone overhead, rays of moonlight touching gently on the twilight. Sounds of horse hooves rang on the gravel pathways of the city of Callas. Littering the streets were dirty men and women in rags who stopped and turned to stare at the outlander. Ramshackle houses and dilapidated lanterns stood wearily on the unkempt streets; some looking like they would crumble with the smallest breath.
The outlander dismounted his horse. He looked disdainfully at the poverty-stricken streets. He had the appearance of a soldier, probably a mercenary, considering he had come alone. The soldier looked like he was approaching the mid-twenties. His hat shaded his eyes. The soldier led his horse into a nearby barn, aware that all eyes were watching him with suspicion and hatred.
The barn was dimly lit, a dreary lantern being the only source of light, aside from the moonlight above. In the middle was an old man drinking beer, his head leaned back. The beer rolled down his cheeks and neck and into his shirt. He stopped drinking when the soldier had entered, staring at him with drunken eyes.
“I’ve got a horse here,” the soldier said.
“Good fer you,” growled the hostler.
The soldier looked into his packet attached to his belt as two sheathed daggers dangled from his hip. His hand rummaged through it and the old man fancied he heard some coins clinking. The soldier finally pulled out two gold coins.
“Here you go. Hold my horse for me. It better be in perfect shape when I come back tomorrow,” the soldier said.
The old man drunkenly grabbed the coins, missing once.
Bowing elegantly, as if mocking the old man, the soldier turned and walked calmly out of the barn, his head high up, facing the ceiling. The hostler wished he were facing him so he could take a look at that face. Perhaps smash it with his pitchfork too. He did, however, stick out his middle finger at the retreating figure.

The soldier walked out of the barn. Glancing around, he saw the people who had stared at him earlier were now busy with their own business. He didn’t care much about that. He turned right and started walking down the street, looking for an inn. After a couple of feet, he stopped. On his right, he saw a graveyard. It was infested with weed and wood gravestones were raised from the ground, alive with green mold. Feeling bored, the soldier went up to the first few. Brushing away the thick mold from a marker, he glanced at the name engraved on it.
Mattemeur Fauchelevent
The soldier stood up. The date said he had died two years ago. His interest passed and he moved on.

The door to the Sunset Inn opened as a man in leather armor walked in. The woman behind the counter looked at him. He seemed to be the soldier that was the news of the town. The woman leaned forward, looking at the soldier in what she hoped to be his eye. He approached the woman and the counter.
“I’d like a room for the night.”
“Oh?”
“Yes,” the soldier sighed. “Preferably without you.”
The woman retreated, the remark stinging.
“That’ll be five silver coins,” she muttered.
The soldier gave her a gold coin. She stared; it was double what she asked for.
“What’re you waiting for? Get me a room,” the soldier berated.
The woman grudgingly obliged.

The soldier set off early at dawn, his food and drink restocked from a nearby shop. His horse, laden with all the extra food and water, walked slowly behind the soldier. A sheet of dew settled on the grass from the night before in the land beyond. A distant smell of the ocean met the soldier’s nose, far away. He was equally as glad as the inhabitants to be gone out of their city. The soldier could sense an extreme lack of adventure there. Perhaps in the ocean there would be. He headed towards the sun rising in the east, the golden light bathing the ground and the fading city behind him. Beyond him was a gigantic field of grass, a dirt path cutting through the expanse.
Taking a quick drink, the soldier peered into the horizon, lifting his hat out of his eyes for a moment. The retreating shadow revealed two brilliant green eyes tinted rich yellow by the rising sun. Deep into the distance was another city wavering in the mist. And the ocean, too. He pulled down on his hat again, shading his eyes.
When the sun was setting, the soldier and his horse stopped walking. He took another drink from his flask, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. He squinted into the skyline again. The city seemed closer, but not by much.
Suddenly, his ears pricked, picking up a sound in the soft wind. He heard faint shuffling footsteps behind him. Turning around with the speed of a careful man, he pulled out one of his daggers with his right hand. His eyes registered the figure in the dusk about twenty yards away, far in the distance. From what he could barely see, it was a child in rags. The soldier stared at the child, probably a little boy.
“Who are you? And why are you following me?” the soldier called out.
The child glanced about him, clearly confused as to whether the man was addressing him or not. When he saw nobody, he realized it was he whom the soldier was talking about.
“My name’s Nathaniel,” the boy said timidly.
Now knowing the boy’s name, the soldier gave his. “Why are you following me?” the soldier repeated, slowly returning his dagger to its scabbard.
The boy shrugged, or at least the soldier thought he did. He moved a few feet before the soldier told him to stop.
“I don’t want you coming closer. I hope you aren’t diseased.”
The child obeyed. Wondering about the boy, the soldier took some sheets and laid them on the ground. Fitting snugly in the middle of these sheets, he soon fell asleep, his left hand on his dagger.
The boy merely stood in the dirt.

The soldier trudged on, occasionally leaving some food in the dirt for the boy to eat when he felt sorry for him.

Horse and rider walked on. Weeks passed by. The plains seemed endless, the dirt path at points succumbing to the grassy growth at both sides. Each day, the city grew closer, and so did the boy. The soldier stopped to rest after the sun had sunk into the west. Turning to face the boy, as he usually did these days, the soldier grabbed a small piece of meat and shook it in the direction of the boy.
“Nathaniel, come here,” the soldier said to the boy.
The boy, who was a reasonable distance away from the soldier, eagerly ran up and grabbed the meat.
As he was eating, the soldier looked at him with a growing curiosity.
“How old are you?”
Nathaniel took two more bites before answering, “Eleven.”
“Where are your parents?”
Nathaniel finished his food in an astonishingly short amount of time.
“I don’t have parents,” Nathaniel shrugged.
As it would have otherwise led to, the soldier asked, “Is that why you’ve been following me?”
Nathaniel nodded. “I have nothing back there.”
There was silence.
“Where did you come from?” Nathaniel asked, finally.
The soldier did not answer. He was silent.
“Where di-“ Nathaniel started again.
The soldier interrupted simply, “Perhaps another time.”
He pulled out his sheets, now dirty from the road. He realized that he didn’t have enough for both the boy and him. Contemplating this situation, he put the sheets on the ground. The soldier looked at Nathaniel, who in turn looked at him. After a few seconds, he sat down on the sheets and went to sleep. The boy stayed awake after a while, then he slept on the ground.

A few more weeks passed. The city could now be clearly seen. Horse, soldier, and boy walked in silence, stopping for water breaks every few hours. When night had fallen, they had another one of their conversations.
“What’s that city called?” asked Nathaniel.
The soldier went to his horse and pulled out a big piece of paper from one of its sacks. He unraveled it and laid it on the ground. Nathaniel saw that it was a map of the world. He gasped in awe; it was thoroughly detailed and painstakingly colored. With a callused hand, he pointed to a small spot labeled the Great Plains.
“We’re here.”
His finger moved a little to the east showing a small city, near a large body of water the map said was the Jade Sea.
“The port-city of Veneccia,” Nathaniel examined, answering his own question.
“You can read,” the soldier said, impressed.
“I taught myself,” Nathaniel said indifferently, still staring at the map.
“What are we going to do when we get into that city?” Nathaniel asked.
The soldier shrugged. “We’ll see.”
When he started to roll up the parchment, Nathaniel stopped him.
“Can I look at the map a bit more?” Nathaniel asked pleadingly.
The soldier shrugged again and gave him the half rolled up map. Pulling out his sheets, he went to sleep with Nathaniel still looking at the map, daggers nowhere to be seen.

CHAPTER TWO –
VENECCIA

The group of travelers entered Veneccia, the shining sun smiling on their heads. The port-city was large with blue and white brick roads, most leading to the port side of the city. Clean streets and strong houses provided a staggering contrast to the previous city of Vallas. The streets were bustling with people of every type, loud chatter filling the noon sky.
There was a lone beggar sitting at the front of a house, near Veneccia’s entrance. A post lantern near him sat idly by. The beggar was a barely clothed figure, a large, tattered cloak hung around his boy. Long hairs decorated his face as an even longer beard hung from his chin. He was drinking. The soldier, followed by Nathaniel and the horse, passed by the beggar’s eyes.
“’Ey! You there! The ‘un with dem daggers!” the bum called to the soldier, setting his bottle of alcohol down.
The soldier stopped, looking at the beggar in an instant, without needing to see the source of the sound. The beggar motioned for him to come closer. Avoiding the many people that walked the road, the group of three approached the beggar.
When the soldier stopped, the bum asked, “You git any money?”
“You’re wasting my time,” the soldier growled.
“You mus’ ‘ave plenty,” the beggar pled, his smile revealing many missing teeth. He eyed the large looking sack containing the soldier’s coins.
“I’m not giving you any,” the soldier said with finality.
The beggar’s eyes narrowed at this. He leaned back, tapping the glass he had been drinking twice. Then the soldier saw the beggar flick his eyes.
The soldier sidestepped a hand holding a dagger. He grabbed the hand as it passed by. An expression of pure surprise decorated the man who had attempted to kill the soldier. These two men, the beggar and the man, looked like brothers. The man screamed as the soldier broke his wrist as easily as ripping paper. Stopping to stare, the hubbub of the city watched in silence. Crying in pain, the man crumbled to the ground, clutching his shattered wrist and lifeless hand. Nathaniel, who had been in front of the soldier at the time, merely stared at the man.
The soldier put his horse’s reins in his hands, ignoring the two beggars, both staring at him with completely different expressions – one of shock and the other hatred.
“Let’s go,” the soldier said. The boy looked from the beggar to the soldier and followed. The few people who looked at the soldier thought they saw a shadow of a smile.
Five minutes later, the soldier, the horse, and the boy had disappeared from the town square and everything resumed their course, except for a beggar and his brother.

They walked on to the port side of Veneccia. Rows upon rows of gigantic boats floated in the Jade Sea, anchored by ropes on piers. Many sails of white fabric billowed in the salty wind. Clouds matching the color of the sails rolled on in the deep blue sky.
The soldier stopped a man walking by, clapping him on the shoulder. Startled, the man drew back, but realized the soldier wasn’t going to kill him, and relaxed.
“What do you want?” he asked, a little relieved and angry.
“Where can I get a ship around here?” the soldier asked.
The man shrugged, and took a step on his road. A hand clasped his shoulder again, but it held on, squeezing harder every second. Wincing, the man gave in.
“Alright! There’s an inn, The Sailor's Barrel, right over there,” the man pointed to the east, “There’s probably a captain getting drunk in there.”
The soldier let go and the man ran away, looking back at intervals and thinking he wouldn't escape death this time. After the man had fled into the horizon, the two travelers and the horse walked towards The Sailor’s Barrel.

The inn was a large wooden structure with a stone foundation. There were only three windows on the current floor, one by the entrance, another at the opposite side, and the last one in between the two, at the other side of the wood counter with the innkeeper behind it. In the middle of the room were two large, bulky looking men with a full pint of beer in their hands. A large, rowdy crowd surrounded these men, cheering for their side.
Suddenly, a voice belonging to a thin man near the round table cried above the crowd, speaking one word, “Begin!”
The two men brought their pint of beer to their faces and drank with nauseating speed. Erupting in shouts, the crowd shook their fists in approval. It was then that the soldier entered the inn, unnoticed by nobody but the innkeeper.
The innkeeper looked at the soldier, who had taken his hat in his hands. He had the most unsettling green eyes he had ever seen and his hair was a tangled mass hanging on his head. Next to the soldier walked a small child in rags; he was extremely dirty, even more so than the soldier. The innkeeper guessed he was about nine. He gestured the soldier to come over while eyeing a large piece of sack with several dimples in it, hopefully money. The crowd was reaching its peak, so the two men were nearly done.
The soldier reached the counter, ignoring the raucous crowd.
He glanced up over the wall, and the innkeeper’s eyes followed his. It settled on two crisscrossed guns that had hung there for so long that it felt more part of the inn than decoration. They were inextricably detailed with sandalwood grips. Some person had put a rose atop the guns, but the innkeeper couldn’t remember who.
“Those be nice guns, eh?” the innkeeper said, loud enough for the soldier to hear.
The soldier merely nodded.
“Some fellow came here some time ago. He was a cheerful guy, I ‘member. Asked for a room, I think. Gave him one and asked his name. He said ‘Mattemeur’. Unique name, eh?” the innkeeper laughed jovially. “He stayed here for a coupla weeks and did magic tricks for us. Except I always felt it really was magic. As if he was a sorcerer, y’know? And then one day, he just left. I found these guns on his bed, assumed he left ‘em behind. Keeping ‘em here just in case he comes back.”
The soldier’s eyes were wide open. Noticing this, the innkeeper commented, “Pretty interesting story, huh?”
The soldier ignored this and asked, “How long ago was this?”
As the innkeeper opened his mouth to speak, the drinking contest behind the soldier suddenly came to a close as one of the guys fell to the ground in a drunken stupor. The crowd roared in response, clapping the remaining man on the back with such violence that the man had to do everything to keep from throwing up.
When the noise died out, the innkeeper replied, “Six months ago.”
The soldier nodded his thanks, knowing one thing the innkeeper didn’t – Mattemeur had ‘died’ two years ago.
He asked where Mattemeur was going.
The innkeeper thought for a moment, then said, “He was talking about going across the Jade Sea. The closest city near that . . . Well, that’s Noran. I assume that’s where he went.”
The soldier was silent.
“Hey, you know what happened to Noran, right? Bursting aflame and all. Happened a few weeks after Mattemeur left. Pretty coincidental, huh? Either way, I’m not taking down those guns,” the innkeeper shrugged.
The soldier’s green eyes gleamed with an eerie determination, causing the innkeeper to become uneasy. He asked for a room and he got one. The innkeeper asked the soldier for his name and he gave his. As the soldier and the boy scaled the steps to their new room, the innkeeper finally realized why those green eyes made his stomach knot. They were the eyes of a king.

The soldier and the boy ascended the stairs. They arrived at a long, narrow hallway. Walking towards the end of the room like the innkeeper told him to, the soldier stopped at the last room. Room Eleven. He opened the door and went in.
Nathaniel had settled in his new bed when he asked the soldier, “What’s gonna happen to the horse?”
The soldier had set him free before entering the inn. He replied, “He’ll be fine. We won’t be needing him anymore.”
“We’re going across the Jade Sea, aren’t we? To Noran?”
The soldier said yes.
“I looked at the map. It says Noran is in Segment Eleven. What does that mean?”
The soldier answered, “The city I came from divided the world into segments in order of their discovery. Noran is in the eleventh segment.”
Nathaniel said his thanks and turned around to sleep. The soldier stayed awake for a while, staring out of his window as the twilight became darkness. When he couldn’t open his eyes any longer, he fell asleep and dreamed of memories long gone.

The soldier loved the military. He spent all his time there, even though there were no wars these days. There he learned the art of assassination, stealth, intelligence, and everything he knew. He spent all his time there. That is, until the herald had come to him.
“Sir Prince!” the messenger, panting, made an effort to stand up, holding a large parchment in his outstretched hand.
The soldier took it. He opened it and read:

Your Royalty, the Prince,
Your urgent presence is required. The King is missing; there is no trace of him. As you are his heir, you are to be the next King immediately. I know how much you love this army, but we need you more. Please come quickly, Prince and future King Leon.

Duke Edward

The soldier, tears welling up in his eyes, crumbled up the letter and threw it away. He sat down in front of the messenger and cried for the very first time in his life.

The soldier suddenly woke up, the sweat mixed with tears from his dream. He glanced at Nathaniel, who was looking at him worriedly, and wiped the sweat and tears from his eyes.
He stood up from his bed. He said, his face high and his voice strong, “Let’s go.”
The boy and the man Duke Edward had called Leon left the inn at dawn.

Captain Kane was staring out to the horizon in the Jade Sea atop his ferry, The Star of the Sea, currently housing one hundred. The brown planks of the sea craft provided a nice contrast to the golden handrails. Kane felt as if he was floating gently atop the friendly waters. The sun was getting bright now, getting into his bronze eyes. He ran a hand through his brown hair flowing in the wind, sighing deeply. A voice appeared behind him. He spun around and saw a haggard man with green eyes looking at him.
“What?” the captain asked.
“Is this boat going across the Jade Sea today? If so, is one of the stops at Noran?”
“Noran,” the captain said dumbly, his mouth going a little slack, but then regained his composure. “That’s a ruined city, you know.”
“Yes,” said the soldier.
“Well, it’s on the way. It is, after all, the closest city near here. But you’ll have to give me the money.”
The soldier took a sack from his belt and took out fifteen gold coins.
“Is that enough?”
Kane nodded, his posture losing again, and took the small fortune.
“We leave in two hours. The rooms and the other passengers are down below. Don’t get into any fights.”
The soldier nodded his thanks and headed down the stairs, followed by a small boy. Kane ignored the boy and went back to staring into the sea, as he would until the last minutes of his life.

Leon and Nathaniel shared a room next to an old, bearded man. His blue eyes radiated craziness. He was talking even before the soldier had entered the room. When the soldier was unpacking, he never paused to look at them, as if the two weren’t there. The old man also stopped talking at intervals, as if there was an invisible man sitting next to him and chatting with him as well.
At one point, the old man laughed uproariously at something the invisible man said. He turned to the soldier, acknowledging him for the first time.
“Didja hear dat?” he said in his reedy, cracked voice. “Dis man here sez dat dere be evil creadures under dose waters.”
“Where?” asked the soldier.
“Noran,” the old man said and laughed.
“Who told you we were taking a reroute?”
“Wot reroute? I be talking to dis man.”
The old man pointed to a blank space next to him.
“I can’t see him.”
“Dat’s too bad. I can.” And then the old man was silent. He was still silent when the boat got unanchored and started moving. The soldier checked his pulse; it was gone. He was dead.

The boat cleaved on with a large wake of foam and water behind it. The sinking sun made the water sparkle until it was replaced by the moon. Stars glittered in the sky and the waning moon stood perpendicular to the earth, casting out its white light. Still, the boat drifted on. The lookout atop the boat, fighting sleep and struggling to keep his binoculars on his face, suddenly spotted a faint smudge in the horizon.
“Land ho!” the lookout yelled down to the crew below. This caused a frenzy of action; the crew seemed to work harder, eager to get this trip over with; lights ran through the boat as the passengers woke up; and Captain Kane went to stand on the bow of the boat again. Some passengers came out of the below rooms to try to spot the land, but very few; they all knew about Noran and the reroute by now.

The smudge in the horizon grew fatter as night took hold of the sky. All the passengers had left except one. He had strong muscles and had what seemed to be two daggers hanging from a belt. The moon’s light seemed to set aglow everything except this man. He seemed shrouded in darkness. The lookout didn’t have such a good feeling about him, especially since he had paid the Captain to come to this damned place, but a customer was a customer. He watched the man that looked like a soldier look out the sides of the boat and stare out to sea. Looking into the binoculars again, he discerned that the island was now only a couple miles away.
Suddenly, the keel of the boat dipped dangerously. The lookout nearly tumbled over the box he was in, and chuckled nervously. He looked in the sea. Nothing. Unable to shrug off a feeling of a threat, the lookout looked anxiously around to make sure.
The keel dipped again, more violently this time. An incredibly large tentacle slammed into the right side of the boat, creating waves and making it tip dangerously. A small scream escaped the lookout’s mouth as he clutched his box for dear life. He looked at the boat below him. The crew had stopped working and the soldier was gone.
The ocean surged up and then heaved downwards, a gigantic whirlpool forming to the left of the boat. The ship slowed, unable to move forward any longer, and was pulled towards the whirling waters.
An enormous being of unfathomable depth rose slowly out of the ocean, water pouring from its head. It was as black as night, tentacles rippling from it’s bottom, reaching to the abyssal deep. Its skull was structured like the ancient beings and beyond; a large, round, and simple thing coated with layers of scales. Each tentacle was detailed with millions of suction cups, four of which would envelop the entire boat. In the middle of the incomprehensible thing lay four sunken, pallid yellow eyes. The moonlight lit this nearly invulnerable creature with an eerie pallor, light glistening off its scales.
It was one of the Old Ones; that vast, depthless being they called a Kraken.
The Kraken let off a bone-chilling scream that sent shivers down everyone’s back. A tentacle smashed the ship from the underside, tearing it into two. The lookout at the top cried out, losing his balance, and fell over into the raging sea. He was the first of many to die.

The soldier was descending the steps to get the boy before the boat was completely capsized. He was one floor away, pushing people who had woken up and gotten out of their rooms out of the way. He had to get him! Just one floor away . . .
Suddenly, the boat jerked violently to the left, tipping over perilously. Leon was thrown into the air and smashed through a door where a scared passenger had his sheets up over his nose, concealing everything but his eyes. When the soldier had entered, the passenger had screamed. The soldier apologized, got up, swept himself, and ran out of the room, leaving the startled and confused passenger behind.
The soldier ran the last few steps to the stairs leading below. The boat shifted again. This time, the boat’s floor beneath him disappeared . . . but reappeared only seconds later behind him. Slamming hard on his back, the soldier slid down to the stairs, now the boat’s bottom. Taking out one of his daggers, he forced it into the floor, stopping him abruptly and nearly dislodging his shoulder. He hung on for dear life, squeezing his eyes from the pain. Taking another dagger with his free hand, he pulled on his injured arm as pain exploded in his shoulder. His free hand collided with the floor above him. Repeating this process and ignoring the excruciating pain and the capsizing boat, the soldier had climbed a few feet. He didn’t dare look up; the boat was probably splintered beyond recognition and showed the sky and stars beyond.
“Leon!” cried a voice amidst the screaming of the passengers and the breaking of the boat. “Leon!” it cried again.
The soldier looked down at the stairs. It was the boy. A swelling of feeling poured through him. Never had he felt this happy to see somebody. Tears welled up in his eyes, but not from the pain, for that was no more.
Without warning, a large tentacle ripped through the bottom of the boat, and the boy was seen never again. It tore its way upward, towards Leon. The soldier took his daggers free from the floorboards and dived towards the tentacle. They rammed together with such force that Leon had the wind sucked out of him. His daggers had firmly locked into the tentacle and he held on. His face, looking to the left, was buffeted by the air as he saw the destruction of The Star of the Sea that the tentacle had made. Broken boards of wood jutted from everywhere as wounded passengers moaned with pain, some crushed by their rooms. Still, none of these registered in his mind. He had one thought only.
Nathaniel.
The tentacle had ripped through the entire ship and burst into the sky. Abruptly, everything was silent, except for the whistling of the air. The stars seemed to taunt the soldier, I’m safe, I can see you, and yet I am so far away.
Nathaniel.
The soldier could now bring himself up a little. He saw the Kraken, resembling a large octopus, the very thing that caused him all this misery.
I’ll kill you.
The tentacle, one of the thousands, started going towards the Kraken. The other tentacles were whipping at the ship, taking passenger by passenger to its hungry mouth, serrated by billions of sallow teeth.
I’ll kill you!
The soldier descended the tentacle, heading towards the Kraken’s body. The tentacle, seeming to sense the soldier, retreated to the Kraken. One of the Kraken’s sickly eyes locked onto the soldier.
Yes, come to me! I’LL KILL YOU!
Leon was nearly there, the Kraken still eating the remains of the ship and the passengers with a greedy gaiety. The soldier was now directly above the soggy scales of the Kraken. The beating of its heart was maddening. Water lapped at the fiend’s mouth as bones and wood was torn asunder. The same slitted eye stared cruelly at the soldier, hungry for blood.
The soldier let go of the tentacle and dropped onto the Kraken’s back. The eye stared back at him, fearless. Leon raised a dagger and thrust it into the iris of the eye. The eye bent backwards with the force and seemed to implode, squirting out black ink and blood. The Kraken shrieked, a bloodcurdling scream emancipating from its overextended mouth. Tearing downward the eye, the soldier pulled out another dagger and stuck it into the Kraken’s soft skin nearby. Thrashing, the Kraken tried to throw its offender off, but Leon would not let go. The tentacles abruptly stopped bringing food and started towards the soldier.
Large tentacles pummeled Leon, but he held on. He dug deeper into the eye, each push making the Kraken scream. The soldier’s hands were a mess of black. Abruptly, he left his dagger in the eye and dodged an incoming tentacle. Unable to stop it, the tentacle pulverized the eye; the dagger embedded causing even further pain. The soldier was nearly thrown off by the madly convulsing Old One. Tentacles were flailing the air in an attempt to find the soldier and kill him. Leon dodged every tentacle aimed at him, making his way back to the eye. The Kraken had finally decided lost food wasn’t worth a lost life and began to descend back into the dark, abysmal sea.
The soldier, arriving at the eye, pulled his dagger out with some difficulty. Icy cold water was up to his knees, making him shiver. He jumped off to a nearby plank from the now sunken The Star of the Sea, the air biting his cold legs. The Kraken’s descending body was creating another whirlpool, bringing Leon inevitably to its center.
The Kraken was now completely submerged. Leon, teeth clattering from the coldness, was spinning in the center, holding onto his plank for dear life. Then the whirlpool ceased to spin. The water rose gently, and everything was calm and silent. That is, except for a lone soldier shivering in the darkness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by Undead_Lives:

<div align="center">THE END</div>

Status
Not open for further replies.