NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams Review

small

[size=large]NiGHTS : Journey of Dreams Review[/size]
cover1.jpg

Finally since its prequel arrived 12 years ago, NiGHTS is back again on the wii. This is another game that has been made by SEGA and published by Nintendo. Anyway time for the review.

STORY:
[IMG=500x300]http://www.nightsintodreams.com/NiD/violet/journey/jodlatest02.jpg[/IMG]
The Overall story begins with a young boy named William Taylor who falls asleep and visits the world of "Dreams" in the Night Dimension. If you are experiencing hope, courage, purity, intelligence and growth, you will have a good dream in the world of Nightopia. These five positive traits can be found through the world in different coloured orbs known as Ideya. The story begins with Will waking up in the land of Dreams, and meeting a talking owl, this owl watches over the adventures of NiGHTS and Will, and provides useful hints and information throughout missions. After a short cutscene of the two acquainting NiGHTS appears and Owl tells them upon the link they have upon touching each other. By will touching NiGHTS hand he can control NiGHTS throughout the game. After some peaceful floating about and learning the game you will come across Reala, one of the First Level Nightmarens created by Wizeman. He is the same species as NiGHTS but is obedient to the dark lord Wizeman, who is terrorizing the world of Nightopia, the overall game objective is to stop Wizeman from destroying Nightopia.

GAMEPLAY:
[IMG=500x300]http://i.gametap.com/web30/eMagazine/emag_nights_wii_3_d4f93.jpg[/IMG]
NiGHTS has 2 modes of gameplay. A Story Mode or a 2P Match. The story mode consists of various missions which is the main part of the game. 2P Match is, obviously, where you play a game with another person, there are two modes of 2P match. These are [2P Race] & [2P Battle]. In 2P race, you can race a player on the same console, a friend via Nintendo WFC, or play a random player anywhere in the world. The Random Player idea i find a very good idea seeing as this enables you to play anyone you like even if you dont have any friends with wiis, Random Player on 2P Match is a strong point for NiGHTS. In [2P Battle] you use touch-dash on the floating Mare Balloons and launch them at your opponent! Three hits and you're out. Story Mode consists of playing as three characters: William Taylor, Helen Cartweight and of couse NiGHTS. Unplayable characters include: Reala [evil], Wizeman [evil], Owl [good], Goodles [good], Octopaw [good],Awakers [good] and Nightopians. Upon going to sleep you enter the dream world controlling either Helen or Will, being able to enter certain realms. The Gameplay of NiGHTS really stunned me while playing with NiGHTS, there's just something so peaceful about this game while playing that makes you want to play even more. Another major thing that stunned me is the variety in which you can play the game, you can use a wii remote, wii remote with nunchuck, wii remote with classic controller or a gamecube controller. The main objective is to fly through yellow rings giving you boost power which u can then dash faster than normal speed. Paraloops can be performed to destroy enemies by doing a loop-the-loop. Another move includes twisting the wii remote side to side enabling NiGHTS to throw string and glide acrobatically. Whether you're on a mission or a 2P match, the enjoyment of this game will definitely hit you.

PRESENTATION:
The Presentation on this game is not bad, the characters are much like you'd expect from an anime cartoon. The Worlds are very original and bream with exuberance. This game is incredibly colourful and bright. Amazing surroundings particularly in "My Dream".

MULTIPLAYER:
oK, im honestly saying this, i would buy this game for its multiplayer, lets put it that way. 2P matches are great in the way that you can play anyone in the world whether you choose it to be a random player or someone on your friend list. The Random Player idea is a really strong point on this game. One problem with multiplayer matches you must have completed a level before being able to play in that surrounding in multiplayer. My Dream is hard to explain, as you paraloop evil beings or the good nightopians they will transport into your dream world, where depending on the amount of nightopians there your world will flourish in a beautiful green field of nightopians flying and wandering around.

Flaws:
This game has its moments and its flaws. This game needs a skip button, you may get bored watching cutscene upon cutscene without being able to skip them. This for me did get me a little bored. Platforming is not so good. Some levels get incredibly repetitive, ie different place same mission.

Ratings:

Story: 9/10
The story, well to me anyway, was really touching, no flaws in the story whatsoever.

Presentation: 8/10
Some basic scenery at times, but very anime nice looking characters and surroundings.

Gameplay: 9/10
I would say 9.5/10 for playing as NiGHTS, but 8/10 for playing as the children as the camera gets very awkward.

Multiplayer: 10/10
Best Multiplayer game i have played on the wii, potential online games, with online rankings to top.

Music: 10/10
The Music is absolutely incredible for this game, i believe that in many other reviews the music is unappreciated, it really is stunning.

Replay Value: 9/10
This game does have good replay value, but overtime, due to being unable to skip cutscenes, the replay value will slowly deplete.

[size=xx-large]Final Verdict[/size]

If you had the chance to play the old Saturn version of this game, then you will know what to expect and shall not be disappointed.
Lots of reviewers have discredited this game for its minor flaws, but this will be a game i will play and cherish for a very long time.
So if you enjoying fantasy games where you float and glide and venture through games, this is the game for you. The music is truly memorable aswell.

[size=xx-large]My Overall Rating: 91/100[/size]
Written by Small

Werbung: