Manhunt 2 Set for US Release

kennyluciano

Manhunt 2 set for US release

Manhunt 2, a computer game banned in the UK for its extreme violence, is to be released in modified form in the US in time for Halloween.

The game is set in an asylum for the insane in which the player survives by executing fellow inmates.

In June, it became the first game to be banned in the UK in ten years and its release in the US was delayed.

"We're glad [Manhunt 2] can finally be appreciated as a gaming experience," said the game developers.

Manhunt 2 is made by Rockstar Games, a development division of games publisher Take-Two Interactive. Rockstar Games is responsible for other controversial games such as Grand Theft Auto and Bully.

In June, Take-Two suspended the release of Manhunt 2 after the game was banned by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC), and rated "Adults Only" by the US Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB).

David Cooke, director of BBFC told the BBC at the time: "There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

On 1 August, Rockstar filed an appeal with the Video Appeals Committee to contest the BBFC decision.

Rockstar was unable to comment on the implications of the latest developments in the US for that appeal.

The game was originally rated "Adults Only" by the ESRB in the US.

An "Adults Only" rating is effectively a US ban because Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft refuse to allow games carrying that rating on their consoles.

But a modified version of Manhunt 2 has now been rated "Mature" by the ESRB. Under that less restrictive rating the game will be released in the US in October.

"Manhunt 2 is an extraordinary game, and we eagerly anticipate its release in North America," said Strauss Zelnick, chairman of Take-Two, in a press release.

The first Manhunt game was released in 2003. It caused controversy in the UK when the media linked the game to the murder of Leicester schoolboy Stefan Pakeerah in 2004.

The police rejected the link and instead suggested robbery as a likely motive for the murder.

Werbung:

kaitora

thanks for that spammy post ryano... i think that it was a quality post from kennyluciano, as it's not always easy to find threads etc on forums. rather than making comments such as
Ryano said:
OOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!

you should encourage members to carry on posting news to this community whether it old or not, and if it is old, kindly point it out and then direct them to a link where it was before.

I'm still holding hope of it coming to uk

kaitora

i think it's ok for mindless violence, but it looks as fun as watching paint dry now... i think it's only anticipated after the violence linked to it last time

Danny

You notice there are countless threads about this right kenny?
I think the game really sucks.. So not going to get it..

sear69

I had the original Manhunt on PS2 and thought the game was alright, I would not mind seeing a Manhunt2 for the Wii in the UK. If it is not released here would the US version work on a UK Wii? Sorry if I am being thick but I do not know much about that sort of thing.

kennyluciano

sear69 said:
I had the original Manhunt on PS2 and thought the game was alright, I would not mind seeing a Manhunt2 for the Wii in the UK. If it is not released here would the US version work on a UK Wii? Sorry if I am being thick but I do not know much about that sort of thing.

The wii is region encoded, UK and Australia is PAL and the Americans and Japan are NTSC,

AKA It wont work

sear69

kennyluciano said:
sear69 said:

The wii is region encoded, UK and Australia is PAL and the Americans and Japan are NTSC,

AKA It wont work

Oh thats a shame, there goes my plan of buying it elsewhere!

Werbung: