Hi - a few pointers for a Newbie?

Pokee999

Hi everyone! Our family just got a Wii for Christmas and it's been great fun playing it! We've had to peel our 5 year old away from Guitar Hero every hour or so (he's obssessed!). We even got our 3 year old girl a Barbie game and she loves it (I do, too!).

Anyway, we have a Playstation 2, so I am used to gaming, but I am very new to the world of internet connections with gaming and the use of the new style of controllers that come with the Wii - so here's a couple of questions:

1. The INTERNET on my gaming console?!?!?! Cool! What a concept. Okay - a few questions:

a. I have successfully connected to the internet via my wireless router (and my broadband connection), but now what? I looked at the weather and news (COOL!), but don't really know what the 'store' is all about. The Wii manuals don't really tell you much about anything else except that you can shop at the 'store' with your 'points'. So, I know you can get points on cards at your local stores or buy them on-line at the Wii shop with your credit card, but what would I even be buying with points? New download only games? New cheats? Is it even worth it - or is it a rip-off under the guise of a convenient feature? Is there a link to a resource out there that explains this whole world in great detail and offers some real-life input and recommendations?

b. Should I keep the WiiConnect24 permanently turned ON so I can receive data/updates all the time, or should I just turn it ON periodically to receive updates? I'd like some personal recommendations on this, too.

c. Is there a way to play with other Wii users when connected to the internet? I know a friend that has a Wii and he mentioned something about sending us something - but I am so new to this, I didn't even know what he was talking about. Can we play each other? It doesn't look interactive - it just looks like we can share files? Can someone explain or share a link that explains?

2. The Wii remote and Nunchuk - Whaaaht? I've found it good and bad.

The good: the car racing games with the wheel, Guitar Hero and tennis/golf. Awesome.

The bad:
a. I hate that fricken Nunchuk. Having two pieces seems unnecessary. I'd love to run out and buy a classic controller for games that aren't really 'movement' based like tennis or golf (like our Fifa Soccer and some kids games), but some of them don't work with the classic controller! Is it just a learning curve? Do I have to de-program years and years of using the two handed classic controller?

b. Batteries. We just put some in yesterday. They're almost dead. Should I use the NiMH rechargeable batteries (like the ones I use in my digital camera)?

Sorry this is sooooo long - but I have so many questions!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Paula

Werbung:

pkf0rtzh4ar

Hi everyone! Our family just got a Wii for Christmas and it's been great fun playing it! We've had to peel our 5 year old away from Guitar Hero every hour or so (he's obssessed!). We even got our 3 year old girl a Barbie game and she loves it (I do, too!).

Anyway, we have a Playstation 2, so I am used to gaming, but I am very new to the world of internet connections with gaming and the use of the new style of controllers that come with the Wii - so here's a couple of questions:

1. The INTERNET on my gaming console?!?!?! Cool! What a concept. Okay - a few questions:

a. I have successfully connected to the internet via my wireless router (and my broadband connection), but now what? I looked at the weather and news (COOL!), but don't really know what the 'store' is all about. The Wii manuals don't really tell you much about anything else except that you can shop at the 'store' with your 'points'. So, I know you can get points on cards at your local stores or buy them on-line at the Wii shop with your credit card, but what would I even be buying with points? New download only games? New cheats? Is it even worth it - or is it a rip-off under the guise of a convenient feature? Is there a link to a resource out there that explains this whole world in great detail and offers some real-life input and recommendations?

b. Should I keep the WiiConnect24 permanently turned ON so I can receive data/updates all the time, or should I just turn it ON periodically to receive updates? I'd like some personal recommendations on this, too.

c. Is there a way to play with other Wii users when connected to the internet? I know a friend that has a Wii and he mentioned something about sending us something - but I am so new to this, I didn't even know what he was talking about. Can we play each other? It doesn't look interactive - it just looks like we can share files? Can someone explain or share a link that explains?

2. The Wii remote and Nunchuk - Whaaaht? I've found it good and bad.

The good: the car racing games with the wheel, Guitar Hero and tennis/golf. Awesome.

The bad:
a. I hate that fricken Nunchuk. Having two pieces seems unnecessary. I'd love to run out and buy a classic controller for games that aren't really 'movement' based like tennis or golf (like our Fifa Soccer and some kids games), but some of them don't work with the classic controller! Is it just a learning curve? Do I have to de-program years and years of using the two handed classic controller?

b. Batteries. We just put some in yesterday. They're almost dead. Should I use the NiMH rechargeable batteries (like the ones I use in my digital camera)?

Sorry this is sooooo long - but I have so many questions!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Paula

question 1a : you can buy wiiware games or classic games with it. for like 500 points u can get an old game from the super nintendo or for 1000 games from the 64. you need a classic controller for this. you also got wiiware games. these games aren't classics cos they are little games they made just for the wii.

question 1b : there is nothing wrong with turning wiiconnect on. nothing can happen if it is on, the only thing is that you can receive mails from nintendo.

question 1c : yes you can play with him online, but not with every game. you got like fifa or call of duty which can be played online. also mario kart can be played online. if the cover of a game has a wi-fi picture on it somewhere it can be played online.

question 2a : get used to the nunchuck. after few days you will like it. at lots of games you must shake your wiimote or your nunchuck. like the wiimote to use your knife in call of duty and your nunchuck to reload. that would be hard with only 1 controller hmm? ;)

question 2b : you can use a recharger pack so you don't have to buy any batterie's. you can just put your wiimote in the recharger and it automaticly loads the batterie's. but what i think is the best is some not-rechargeables. buy some AA batterie's , i think your wiimote can work on that. it takes over 25 hours before they empty.

hope i helped :LOL:

Werbung:

jesta

Hey Pokee99,

Welcome to TWF, hope you enjoy it here!

I think PK answered most questions, all I can add is rechargeable batteries are ok, that is to say that AA batteries are better. I have tried many different types of the rechargeables and all of them are now pretty much useless and so I've gone back to good old AA duracell's.

As for he nunchuck, hopefully you'll get use to it but there really isn't a way around this that I can see.

If you've got anymore questions just ask.

Laters :D