Facebook Hires Sony PS3 Hacker

rocktrns

crn.com said:
George Hotz, the 21-year-old Sony hacker sued for breaking into the PlayStation 3 console, is now on the payroll at Facebook.
Facebook's hiring of Hotz, known in the hacker community as Geohot, was first reported by the technology blog TechUnwrapped, and later confirmed via Twitter by Gabe Rivera, founder of tech news Web site Techmeme .
Facebook has not disclosed why Hotz was hired, but The Washington Post reported Hotz will be working on the social networking giant’s impending iPad app.
Hotz first started making a name for himself in 2008 by jailbreaking the iPhone, which untethers the device from its carrier and allows it to run on any network, as well as run apps outside of Apple(NSDQ:AAPL)’s App Store.

I though this article was very interesting. I wonder if Facebook is also going to help Hotz with his lawsuit with Sony. Well I guess this is how people in the programming feild get recognized they hack into something and get hired.

What are your thoughts on this?

If you would like to read more Click on this link.
http://www.crn.com/news/security/231000713/facebook-hires-sony-ps3-hacker.htm?itc=refresh

Werbung:
There's no lawsuit to help him with anymore. It's over. He settled with them two months ago. But as for the thoughts on the matter, he got what he wanted, his name got out there and someone took notice. That someone is Facebook. The only problem is now he'll have no choice but to work with Sony considering Facebook integrates it. And if he tried to pull anything, it wouldn't be just himself he'd be getting into a mess anymore.

radascars

I'm happy for him, this is another example of someone who came from the 'underground', gaining skills in an un-traditional manner, mastering them, and then becoming distinguished for his excellent work. US companies should encourage innovation and creative problem solving, something that corporate culture despises. Stifling the personal growth of th next generation is as bad as slamming your private parts in a hot waffle iron.

Heh, they probably want him to hack people who they consider to be competition. You never know why corporate businesses and high-ranking groups and people act like they do nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if Twitter gets hacked next.

Heh, they probably want him to hack people who they consider to be competition. You never know why corporate businesses and high-ranking groups and people act like they do nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if Twitter gets hacked next.

Only thing with that is if he does that, he won't be the only one in trouble anymore. Corporate tampering amongst competitors is rarely done because if they're caught AND they lose their court case, they can lose their company on spot.

radascars

Only thing with that is if he does that, he won't be the only one in trouble anymore. Corporate tampering amongst competitors is rarely done because if they're caught AND they lose their court case, they can lose their company on spot.

I agree with dexter, I think FB hired Geohot for something more than hacking their competitors in social medias. I think they plan to have something that is more useful for FB users in the future but we'll see. :)

Samious

Well I think his proven his skills to have done well however being a target to sony is bull. Anyway, it is over with and his got his future ahead of him.

Well I think his proven his skills to have done well however being a target to sony is bull. Anyway, it is over with and his got his future ahead of him.

His skills are proven, but he made himself a target on his own accord. When Sony took out other OS as a result of what he did the first time, he should have left it alone. Instead, he literally goes "ok fine, Sony wants to play it that way, I'll just figure out another way". And that's exactly what he did. So he made himself a target

Ronald Ramos

I actually just read about this now! I am surprised Facebook hired the same person that caused headaches for another major corporation.

I think Sony should have hired him despite what he did the company. His skills will definitely help in tightening up Sony's security.

I actually just read about this now! I am surprised Facebook hired the same person that caused headaches for another major corporation.

I think Sony should have hired him despite what he did the company. His skills will definitely help in tightening up Sony's security.

I wouldn't have hired him if I was Sony either. This kid tried to give the company an ultimatum and even threw out semi-terrorist like demands. Why would they hire him after that? They went out and hired other professionals to help with their security.

Werbung:

ACSAPA

I don't get why you guys are so sympathetic to Geohot and think he's so cool.

Maybe you guys don't play on PSN, because that guy caused a huge inconvenience by causing PSN to be shut down for weeks. And now he's getting rewarded with a high paying job.

This story just teaches aspiring hackers that if you steal people's personal information and cripple online play for PSN for a month, you'll be rewarded.