DNS

sw@b

im gettin error messages about my DNS and waz wondering what i can do to fix my domain name system....im pretty new to all this error stuff as it just started happening when i switched ISP's so take i easy on me if i sound n00bish...cuz i am :D

Werbung:

Puppet

If you are a typical client then DNS should be handled by your ISP. So you need to make sure that it is set that way. Go To control Panel, then Network connections, then choose the connection you go outside with and right click it and choose properties, then choose tcpip and click the properties button, then make sure "obtain dns automatically" is checked, and then click advanced and go to the DNS page and make sure there are no foreigners in there.

sw@b

Puppet said:
If you are a typical client then DNS should be handled by your ISP. So you need to make sure that it is set that way. Go To control Panel, then Network connections, then choose the connection you go outside with and right click it and choose properties, then choose tcpip and click the properties button, then make sure "obtain dns automatically" is checked, and then click advanced and go to the DNS page and make sure there are no foreigners in there.

good stuff there boss....did all that and its all set up by the dude that came over and typed it in when i got this new stuff....theres only 2 ips in there...a primary and secondary and everything is working right....i dont have the "automatic" option checked cuz they have me using those 2 certain ip's....is that good or bad? ill send them another email about this too just in case hey know of any ip issues theyve had...ive sent them 2 eamils already concerning their router and just initially tellin em about my lag....

Puppet

No, thats not a bad thing. I was just expecting you to be a typical user that doesn't have a static IP. In that situation your DNS is controlled by your ISP and in the configuration you're in right now I still think your isp is doing it. Do this:

Go to a command prompt and type NSLOOKUP and hit enter. It should return on the next couple of lines the address of the server in charge of your DNS. This will be your router's IP or your ISP's dns server. So what do you have listed there? If it is your router, which I bet it is, then you probably need a hard reset on it or change the config in it.

Werbung:

sw@b

this is wat it shows when i do that....i did it twice cuz of the error on the first try....

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001. C:\DOCUME~\OWNER>NSlookup *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.11.11: Non-existent domain Default Server: dns1.arcor-ip.de Address:145.253.2.11

> NSLOOKUP Server: dns1.arcor-ip.de Address:145.253.2.11 *** dns1.arcor-ip.de can't find NSLOOKUP: Server failed >