"A War No Longer Cold" (renamed, remastered)

Super Six 4

Hey guys, as you know "Against All Odds" is(/was) an alternate history novel of the Cold War. I renamed and remastered it, now called "A War No Longer Cold".

11​

August 26, 1986 1000 hours
USS Gerald Ford Naval Station
Rota, Spain

“The 21st Fleet,” as the new fleet of ships was dubbed, was split up, with the Marines on the Iwo Jima, air power on the Gerald Ford, SEALs on the Liberty, and extra help with the Cristoforo Colombo in the first group going directly to Europe, while the Richard Lionheart, Orel, and Aachen provided much enhanced anti–submarine efforts in the GIUK gap. The latter was already there, aiding the ASW barrier. The former group docked at Naval Station Rota, which was an important naval base throughout the 21st century, just as it was quickly becoming important in the 20th century. The Marines and their support were loaded onto transports to go nearer the front. It was difficult because eastern parts of West Germany were falling, although allied forces had managed to make useful defensive efforts. Admiral Anderson heard of how Munich was in the process of being taken, and of the attacks on Denmark, Norway, and the effective raids on Olenya and Monchegorsk, which he received news from all four SEAL team leaders about; the only complication being that at Monchegorsk not all the bombers were destroyed because they were discovered before they had a chance to destroy all of them, but an enormous amount of those bombers were destroyed, and only one SEAL was somewhat seriously wounded.
Admiral William Anderson was meeting with Colonel Baxter in the CIC private room. They were discussing the battle plan for their own “invasion” on the invaders in Europe.
“I’m no submarine expert Admiral, but I know that this area right here is a real damper for the Sov Baltic Fleet,” Baxter said as he circled Denmark and Norway on the map on the table, “and as we know they sent in paratroopers into Oslo and some other places, and they bombed the stuffing outta’ that Danish submarine yard and struck the other Danish shipyard.”
“Right, and from my perspective, both blows severely crippled Denmark’s ability to defend this choke point,” Anderson said, pointing to the area between the tip of Denmark and the south of Norway, “And…the Greenland–Iceland–UK Gap, which as you know is right here.
“Yeah, but we have the other part of the fleet there sir, so that should help,” Baxter said.
“True, but it’s a big area; there’s the other part of the fleet, the “now” Americans, and the British covering the GIUK gap and now aiding Denmark and Norway.”
“The thing is, where do we go to help out? There’s Norway or Germany, each place needs help,” pointed out Benjamin Baxter.
“I think the Marines need to go to Scandinavia–because then we can send the Ford’s and the Iwo’s airpower over Germany to help out them.”
“Alright, sounds like a plan to me, I say we hit Oslo and own those Sov paratroopers and at the same time the flyboys can fly over to Ramstein AFB and then from there go pound the Sovs’ advance,” Baxter suggested.
“Yes, that would be an excellent plan, except that we probably wouldn’t be able to send all of them,” said Anderson, “so we’ll just launch them from here,” he concluded.
“All sounds good to me sir, when do we get underway?” Baxter inquired.
“Well I think tonight–we should be finished restocking, then we can get an early start–there’s a war going on–we ‘gotta go throw the wrench into it.”

August 27, 1986 0800 hours
East of Fulda, American sector,
West Germany

“Hey, get that MILAN set up here,” Bradley ordered a squad member.
Bradley’s squad met up with another squad in the platoon and got restocked on anti–armor weaponry such as MILAN systems and AT mines. The “Fallback Defense” was just part of NATO’s plan of “Active Defense” in which soldiers, equipped with anti–armor weaponry would conduct guerrilla–like operations against the Soviet armor, mostly from wooded areas and geographical chokepoints. They were currently in a wooded area near an east–west road that the Soviets were bound to use for a chunk of their tanks and IFVs.
“Any preference on this one sir?” asked another squad member with a MILAN system.
“Well, set it up by the other one, and just make sure there’s a pretty good line–of–sight on the road.”
“Yes sir.”
They’re strategy was much like the ones the Danish were using–cause problems and casualties for them, then relocate, in their case, they had two “Humvees” in which they had food, water, ammunition, and some AT equipment. The 11th Armored had retreated to new positions, and the Soviets were pushing farther in, but not without some price. Other squads were picking off Soviet soldiers and vehicles.
“Sir, the column of tanks is about three miles away, they’re on this road,” reported the Sergeant in the squad.
“Excellent, they’ll be in range in a little bit, I’ll have the MILANs wait ‘till they get in the woods, that way it’ll clog the road when we blow those tanks sky high!” Bradley exclaimed.
“Yup, here’s your glasses Captain,” said the Sergeant as he gave Captain Bradley his binoculars.
“Ah, thanks Sergeant, now go get the other two MILAN guys and get them situated and ready, hooah?”
“Hooah sir.”
The Sergeant quickly walked over to the other men and told the other two MILAN users to go to their launchers. The Sergeant would operate one with one of the other men in the squad, and the Captain would operate another with someone from the squad. The Captain liked to think of his squad members as buddies more or less, and they viewed him as a friend, more or less. He was still respected though, and a skilled warrior. Bradley walked down the slight rise to where the MILANs were and the rest of the men.
“Ok guys, this is how we’re doing this–the Sergeant, Privates Sanchez, Napoli, and I will operate the MILANs, we’ll fire two missiles each, so that’s four Soviet tanks, the rest will be in the Humvees, once we fire, we’ll come down the hill and hop in, then drive to the rendezvous point, everyone got it?” Bradley briefed.
He got a synchronized “Yessir” as the answer.
“Alright then, everyone get to where you need to be,” ordered Captain Bradley.
The Captain and Private Napoli hustled over to their MILAN, while the Sergeant and Private Sanchez hustled over to theirs.
“Private, you have the honor of firing,” Bradley said with a slight smile.
“Gee, thanks sir!” the Private returned with a smile as well.
“Alright, Napoli and I will get the first two, and you guys get any other two you like,” said Bradley.
Captain Bradley picked up one of the two MILAN anti–tank guided missiles and loaded it into the launcher. Private Sanchez did the same on the other launcher.
“When I say fire, then do it.”
“Roger, sir,” Napoli acknowledged.
“Fire!”
The MILAN missile launched out of the launcher, and after it was safe, the rockets turned on, and the missile followed the guidance. The Private kept it aiming at the first tank on the road. The Sergeant’s MILAN had fired at the same time, and was being guided to the rear tank. After the delay, Captain Bradley and Private Napoli’s missile hit first, penetrating the Soviet T-72 and turning it to a burning metal hulk. About four seconds later the second MILAN missile hit the rear tank, also a T-72 and it blew up. Bradley took out the second missile and loaded it into the launcher. Private Sanchez on the other launcher did the same, although slightly delayed. They both fired again at the same time; the second tank was completely destroyed, and a BMP-1 was also destroyed in the middle.
“Alright, take the launchers and run!” Bradley yelled.
Both teams quickly disassembled the MILAN systems. Captain Bradley looked back briefly and saw the tanks swivel their turrets around, and infantry poured out of the remaining APCs. Bradley made a smirk at the helpless Soviet column and then they ran down the hill. They reached the Humvees after a minute, and both drivers started the engines. Private Sanchez opened up the back door of the first Humvee and threw in the launcher case on top the man in the back seat, just missing the legs of the .50 cal. Gunner. All ten men were in the two Humvees, and they lurched away to go to the rendezvous point.

these are just a couple "actioney" (word made up by Spike) sections towards the end. I can't wait; I'm going to self publish it so I'll tell you guys when I do so you guys can check it out!

Werbung:

Super Six 4

Did i hear "towards the end" ? your already that far?
Are you done writing already?
It seems promising!

hells yeah! Its twelve chapters long, and at least 5 pgs per chapter. According to my Honors English teacher the type of project I chose is a "novella," but I have started my rebellion, and am naming mine a novel, because I believe in calling lengthy literature with literary terms, not the brand of wine.

btw, I'm going to remaster it at least once more, and maybe again before I self publish it, but I promise that it'll get done before summer. [(I hope) JK it will]

hells yeah! Its twelve chapters long, and at least 5 pgs per chapter. According to my Honors English teacher the type of project I chose is a "novella," but I have started my rebellion, and am naming mine a novel, because I believe in calling lengthy literature with literary terms, not the brand of wine.

btw, I'm going to remaster it at least once more, and maybe again before I self publish it, but I promise that it'll get done before summer. [(I hope) JK it will]

sounds good!

Werbung:

Super Six 4

sounds good!

yeah thanks!

I'm gonna make a sequel guys, so let me know if you come up with any epic/cool names for it-NATO is gonna start rolling back the WarPac's offense with the help of the new arrivals, but there's gonna be twists and turns, so that its not all WarPac's butt getting kicked all story long lol