20 years old died playing xbox, true or not?

radascars

The family of a budding computer programmer have on Saturday launched a campaign to raise awareness about the health risks of playing online computer games after their son died following a marathon session on his Xbox.

A post-mortem revealed that 20-year-old Chris Staniforth -- who was offered a place to study Game Design at Leicester University -- was killed by a pulmonary embolism, which can occur if someone sits in the same position for several hours.

read more...

So how come its ok for them to sit at a school desk/table all day? Or an adult at an Office? I think they are trying to villify gaming when the majority of people do this regularly anyway gaming or otherwise.

Werbung:

FanGirl

read more...

So how come its ok for them to sit at a school desk/table all day? Or an adult at an Office? I think they are trying to villify gaming when the majority of people do this regularly anyway gaming or otherwise.

I agree with you exactly. My job requires me to sit in front of a computer all day and hardly move, I have circulation problems and it’s affected my eye sight, but its work and millions of people do it each day.

What about fishing? Doesn't that require you to sit still for hours?

I try to make it a habit, when I am really in to a game, to set the timer for 90 minutes to walk around, have a glass of water and get a grip on reality before I go back to the game. I do admit that sometimes I get way to in to a game and forget about things like moving, but there are so many other sedentary hobbies and I agree that they are trying to only make gaming look bad.

omarfw

Lets not forget that blood clots are only a real problem if someone has high cholesterol to create build ups in their arteries. If you eat well then you won't have these kinds of risks from sitting for periods of time and losing a bit of circulation. This guy was a gamer and probably ate a bunch of junk food. Not to mention he sat for far longer than any employee ever would.

Graiden

We all know what this is about : people, in front of computer, actually forgetting themselves there in the attraction of the Internet or a game. Not work, not something in which you would normally go to bathroom, eat, but just do it and forget about anything else. It is indeed a problem, but it's people's problem. They should be taught to do it differently, not ban all the games and the Internet.

RPCOM

It can be true in my opinion because I heard that a lady was chatting on her computer whole day, so keenly that she forgot to feed her baby for days! She was arrested by the police and her baby was given to a day care center.

Chance

I think it's possible as far as the cause of death goes but I don't believe this for a second. Even when you game you move around. You mean to tell me this guy was stationary in one position while he was gaming? He didn't use the bathroom, eat, or anything? Sounds very iffy to me.

Graiden

That is not true Chance..some people really forget what they're doing. Especially if they're playing online, chatting online with other persons etc. You simply move from one thing to another without realising it !

omarfw

I think it's possible as far as the cause of death goes but I don't believe this for a second. Even when you game you move around. You mean to tell me this guy was stationary in one position while he was gaming? He didn't use the bathroom, eat, or anything? Sounds very iffy to me.

Some people become very immersed in their game. They are not paying attention to their senses or surroundings, only the game. I've had times where I will finish a long session of gaming and suddenly realize that I am starving but didn't notice that at all while I was distracted with my game.

And many games don't require you to move around at all. Particularly console games.

Clearly this guy is moving his hands and fingers, but that's it. People can do this for hours if they are focused enough on what they are doing.

LeonardK

Some people become very immersed in their game. They are not paying attention to their senses or surroundings, only the game. I've had times where I will finish a long session of gaming and suddenly realize that I am starving but didn't notice that at all while I was distracted with my game.

And many games don't require you to move around at all. Particularly console games.

Clearly this guy is moving his hands and fingers, but that's it. People can do this for hours if they are focused enough on what they are doing.
So this is why I always get owned by Asian players...
Anyways, this is most likely not a hoax but what we do know about the kids medical background? And did he play every day? I very much doubt he died from one gaming marathon.

morbidity

The only way someone is going to die from a gaming marathon like that is if they purposely don't eat, drink, and use the bathroom. Then again your body can live for at least a week without any food or water, so he had to have some kind of prior medical background. I'm also aware of how South Korea is very big on gaming such as their official sport for the Blizzard game Starcraft. It's a very popular game in South Korea where million of Koreans play it as a job.

sammy

The only way someone is going to die from a gaming marathon like that is if they purposely don't eat, drink, and use the bathroom. Then again your body can live for at least a week without any food or water, so he had to have some kind of prior medical background. I'm also aware of how South Korea is very big on gaming such as their official sport for the Blizzard game Starcraft. It's a very popular game in South Korea where million of Koreans play it as a job.
I don't know about anyone else, but I've never turned down the opportunity to do either of those activities when I was in the middle of a game. If it's a game that can't be paused, I run into a room where my character can stand idle in safety, and go make my self a sandwich or use the bathroom.

PSO was addicting to me, but it wasn't at that level. Not even a gory game will keep me from eating anything. I played Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage, and ate pasta at the same time. Had a burrito while playing Illbleed.

I've got an adamantium steel gut.:mad:

iebo00

These sorts of deaths make the news because they are rare. If there was a serious problem with this there would be all kinds of doctors issuing health warnings and what not. He probably had other issues but happened to do a marathon gaming session which exacerbated his condition and killed him. As others have said millions of people sit around all day and don't die. Taking occassional breaks is key.

jferg20

Yeah I think they are trying to make gaming look bad. But at school and other places you get up and change classes and stuff. I would think that he would have to sit still for a very long time for it to cause death. Did he not get up to get food or use the bathroom?

morbidity

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never turned down the opportunity to do either of those activities when I was in the middle of a game. If it's a game that can't be paused, I run into a room where my character can stand idle in safety, and go make my self a sandwich or use the bathroom.

PSO was addicting to me, but it wasn't at that level. Not even a gory game will keep me from eating anything. I played Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage, and ate pasta at the same time. Had a burrito while playing Illbleed.

I've got an adamantium steel gut.:mad:
I don't even think it's humanly possible to not use the bathroom. You can hold the urge in for so long before you body eventually gives in and make you go. I was also one of those people that have been addicted to Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe, but I was still able to take breaks, eat food, and do my business. Since I know my bodies limits I was able to maintain a healthy lifestyle while being addicted to a game. Well there was one incident that happened like 3 years ago where a kid died from playing World of Warcraft for 2 days straight. If you sit down and play a game for 48 hours without drink, eating, or standing I can see your body giving in. 20 hours is just to short of time.

Werbung:

iArvee

Yeah, it's definitely true. True gamers need to learn to control themselves and not just keep playing. I mean, how can you keep gaming when you're dead? :D

As with what @iebo00 stated, these deaths are rare and attract media attention. Just take a nap in-between gaming, maintain a healthy diet, exercise, and you should be fine. :)