Space: The Game (Need help)

Abelhawk

This isn't exactly a story, yet, but I thought it'd be a good place to post this.

When I was a kid, me and my little brother would get on MS Paint and go to 8x magnification. Then we'd play a little game we simply called Space, where we'd have tiny little pixel ships to fly around, fight space bandits, and do maintenance on planets.

Anyway, long story short, I dug up the old idea and I'm now making an RPG computer game based on those same ships.

My problem is, I'm more of the Fantasy story-writing type, and I'm no Science Fiction freak at all. I have no idea what the storyling should be. If any of you are skilled in that area of expertise as far as storylines go, I would love to hear from you. All of you can add ideas.

So far, this is all I've programmed into the game, and I'm stuck. It's vague, but I sort of wanted it to be at the first so you're not sure what's going on.

It's centuries into the future, and you awaken. You are an A-8 Probe, constructed in the Perseus-509 Space Station in outer space. A man known only as "Dr. Aton" speaks to you on a computer screen and tells you that you were constructed to aid the humans indirectly from the space station and throughout outer space.

Your first mission is to travel to the swamp planet Oronne to retrieve the Perseus-509 Station's defense turret, which malfunctioned and crash landed somewhere on the planet. You land on the planet, explore, and fight various alien creatures there, which aren't much of a threat. Finally, on a small inlet, you find the turret, still functional.

As you take the turret(you can also equip it as an item for added accuracy), you start to move back to the takeoff site to return to space. Suddenly, you are attacked by a massive mutant alien. The alien was obviously once one of the types of creatures that you've already fought(called Oronne Turtles), but it has grown to immense size and is much more durable and fierce. It has shards of metal stuck in it, which may have caused its mutation.

You defeat the creature with your built-in armament and return to the space station. Dr. Aton is impressed with you and apologizes, as you were obviously in for more than you had signed up for with the mission's difficulty.

Pathetic, but that's all I could think of. Obviously, you'll be able to progress on to bigger space stations as the story progresses, as well as other planets. But I could really use some ideas and any suggestions as to the game's plot. Plot twists, surprises, anything like that is very welcome. I have the capabilities of making the graphics and programming easily, but that won't go very far if I don't have a storyline.

Any help is welcome! Also, if you need to know anything about the mechanics of the game, (weapon types, enemy types, little quirks like that) if that will help, let me know. Thanks!

Werbung:

edwinfong25

well, it sounds cool
erm, to be honest, i like the detail
but it's not necessarily overly original, but that doesn't mean its bad either
i'd say that it'll depend on the gameplay, lol (unfortunately, story plots can't go too far from other stories, lol, they're still to an extent a similar plot)

so, now it brings up some questions for me...
you said that you were making a RPG computer game
so my question is how you'd be making it? (what programming or whatever?)

well, so the story is pretty good so far, not sure where you're intending to progress it to, but it'll be worth checking out (should it be like some mysterious truth that you'd have to find, you'd have to save the world? that kind of stuff for the storyline)

and then a very important feature would be what kind of gameplay you'd have in mind?
mindless clicking til the missions are over, constant strategizing of positioning and rationalizing of the situation, a careful balance of exploration whilst sticking to a plot?

well, that's all i can say for now, lol
i'd like to know your responses before trying to add more, lol
:)

Abelhawk

How am I programming it? With the OHRRPGCE. It's the easiest way to make a WAY fun RPG.

The gameplay consists on this RPG engine. I'm assuming you've played Final Fantasy, or some other turn-based game. That's what this is going to be like. Except, instead of swords and shields and armor, you equip a gun and a hull, core, magazine, and a turret. I've already programmed a lot of the mechanics. I think it's going to be fun. If I can think of a good storyline, then I think I can make a great RPG to post. You should check out the RPG. It's free, easy, and very powerful. You just gotta be able to draw a few things, that's all.

edwinfong25

ok, sounds cool

well, i'm not sure if i've ever seen that program in particular, lol (i've went through a lot of programs, lol)
yes, i've played turn-based strategies, lol (i've played quite a lot of them, and have had many inclinations to try making one, lol)

hmm...
ahh, so instead of traditional "medieval" setting, you're going for a more futuristic one, cool, lol (actually that reminds me of Rebelstar: Tactical Command (and a few others that i can't recall the names for... lol, obviously i've played quite a few, lol)

well, with regards to storyline...
you said that you're more of a fantasy writer, and not so knowledgeable with regards to Science Fiction
but i'd say, that doesn't mean that it can't be a good storyline (in ways that'd provide for less scientific arguments, lol)

actually, i'd think that it depends on what your aims are for the game
how serious is it supposed to be? (what kind of language would be involved? or any jokes?)
how specific do you want the details with regards to scientific matters? (does it have to be so specific that it could have been true?) and with this, that'd just depend on doing a bit of research into matters (such as, if you wanted to discuss cold fusion... then research it a bit and be sure to include the facts as necessary)
how should the gameplay factor in? is the gameplay relatively logical for the storyline? (such as revivals, automatic attacking, and whatnot?)
*i know that it sounds weird to refer to automatic attacking for a turn-based strategy... but i still mean for turn-based gameplay... (kind of like in Rebelstar, you can command "Overwatch" where the unit would attack if the opponent moved into range and had used up a high enough amount of points and stuff...)
well, i'd suppose that you've got the gameplay more or less figured out tho, lol
and lastly, i'd think that the most important question which also coincides with the others would be:
what kind of impact are you going for with the storyline?
so that'd be referring to things like, is it supposed to be somewhat solemn and maybe even tragic? or would it be more like an uplifting heroic tale of saving the world or something?

so, yeah, that's basically the main questions that i'd recommend you to think over for your storyline
and then you could build upon it from there (once you know what the primary goals are for it)

hope that helps a bit
and it seems pretty cool, so i think that you should keep it up :)

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Fantasy storylines compared to Science Fiction are not all that different.
Usually it's...
Big bad guy. Small good dude. Small good dude gets skills and kills big bad guy.
And that's it. So really the difference is that instead of magic, with fantasy, you have science being the "magic". Or some kind of alien skills.

As for your story, you need detail. Describe the planet and alien more fully.