Rick wake up

Fladian

When I opened my eyes, I could scarcely believe what I saw. My clock showed that it was passed 10 o' clock already, clearly pointing out that I just missed my first two classes at school, meaning that it was the first day this year I was late. Since the year started, I never got late in class, I use an accurate timing to wake up, go to sleep and do anything else, if necessary. Preferrable, I plan everything at least a day before it happens.

With a lot of trouble, I finally got myself up and sat on my bed. Again the big poster next to my bed of my rock idol reminded me of how dull my life actually was. Twenty years old, single and not very attractive either. I only had to take a look to my left to watch in the mirror and see my skinny body and my brown hair.
I scratched my head a bit and grabbed my glasses from my desk while I pushed the button to start my computer. I was late already, so it would not matter if I'd hurry now. The moment I put my glasses on, it felt like a fog lifting from my sight. Being extremely short sighted is a pain sometimes, but there is very little to do about it - but I found that glasses really fitted my looks.
With a final look at the mirror while trying to flatten my hair a bit, my computer was finally ready with loading. Sometimes I wonder why I don't try to find a job to get a new computer. Even though I enjoy working with a computer more than anything else, it is a shame that my computer is very out of date. Fortunately, I use it mostly for the internet. You don't need a very good computer for that, just a decent connection, which I, fortunately, have.

With a quick move with my mouse, I actived every program that I normally use. My browser, Winamp and of course, the only thing I make contact with the most: MSN Messenger. With a smile on my face, I look at the icon of MSN going back and forth, showing clearly that it is loading. With yet another few movements with the mouse, I quickly opened the official site of a sport club I support and turning on a little music, while not really bothering to look what I exactly had actived in Winamp.
My smile became broader when I saw that MSN was finished loading and someone instantly spoke to me. I quickly looked at the name of the person who spoke to me and my smile slowly disappeared. It was John Keeney, a classmate of mine who is well known for barely ever showing up during class. In general, John is a nice guy, and one of the only people in class who doesn't actually make fun of me, but because of his 'relaxing' personality, I just don't like him much. Not is it just his 'relaxing' personality, is is also that he doesn't act very consistent. Some of the days he acts like a complete idiot, but other days he's very serious and very kind.
"Finally overslept, Rick?" Became visible on my screen.
With a loud sigh, I positioned myself in a more comfortable position and started to type.
"Yeah, and you're skipping classes again, as usual?" I asked John even though I already knew the answer before he even started to type.
"Do you really call it that, Rick? I just don't feel like going. I mean, if I go without motivation, I learn just as much as staying home *with* motivation" appeared on my screen once again. "But how in the world did you overslept, Rick? Normally you show up quite early on MSN, not to mention at school."
"I had a late night." I said, closing the chatting screen with John quickly afterwards and double clicking on the icon of MSN to see who else is online.

I scrolled through the list of contacts until I finally got to the forgein part. Like most people nowadays, I also had a few forgein people on my contact list. Though I never did learn their real names, it is good enough to call them at their 'nickname.'
I learned that the one with the nickname: 'Durlau' was a guy that is four years younger than me, making him sixteen, but he's quite bright for his age, often figuring things out a lot faster than me. A little childish when it comes to games though, but what else could you expect? I'm not complaining though, since I've had great conversations with him.
The only other one is called: 'Jillo' and is a girl of the same age as me, or so she told me. In all honestly, I enjoy it the most when talking to her than to anyone else. Perhaps because I don't feel the shyness when talking over the internet, than talking with someone outside it. Seeing that Jillo and I will probably never meet, it is a great way to increase my social aspects. She was also the reason why I overslept. I was chatting with her throughout the night, like I've done before. Everytime I do something like that, I have trouble getting up in the morning, but it never happened that I overslept. Everything has its first time, I guess.
It's embarrassing to say that I don't have the courage to just step up and talk to a girl in class. Despite being twenty years old, I never broke the barrier of shyness, or perhaps it are my looks that I am embarrassed about. Eitherway, I just can't find the guts to talk with any. That didn't make me very popular among the guys either.

"Makun's class starts in about ten minutes. Still feel like going to school, Rick? I'll make up an excuse for ya', if you want." John suddenly said while opening the a new chat screen again.
"Makun, eh?" I replied. "No, I think I'll call myself sick", I answered after a little moment of silence.
"Your call, Rick. See ya' tomorrow then, I'm gonna get myself a bite to eat" John mentioned right before he went offline.

I pushed the curtain away from my window that is located not far behind my monitor. I nearly blinded myself when I looked straight at the sun from the green chair I was sitting on. I quicky pushed the curtain back in front of it, trying to block a bit of the sun, but also letting some sunlight enter my room.
With a loud sigh I pushed myself against the back of my chair once again. Slowly closing my eyes and trying to remember what I dreamt about this night. Was it again a dream where I asked myself how Jillo could look like, and how it would be if I'd meet her? Perhaps it was the same dream I kept getting the last few months, dreaming to be a very social person, spending a lot of time with popular people and talking a lot of them. I always liked those two. They are both wishes I someday would come true, but either are not very likely to ever become reality... not the way I dream it.
I took another peek through the window. Through the part that was visible and not hidden by the dark curtain. I looked at a calm street, but I did not expect anything else during this time of the day. It was ten o' clock in the morning and not many people are on the street during this time. I am living in a very calm neighbourhood and rarely does a car drive through this small path. The small street I live in is usually used by children who are on the bike to school, or to a friend, since it is a great way to shorten a long distance. When I lived with my parents, I used to take this road as a short cut all the time. It was useful because it was fast, and my school (or college) is nearby.
Suddenly, a friendly smile appeared on my face as I saw Laura walking on the street, together with her younger brother Tom. Both Tom and Laura are sixteen, though Laura is eight months older. Both have lived here in the neighbourhood since I moved in here. I got to know Laura because of the paperboy out here. He seems to be good friends with her and he introduced me to her. It's always a pleasure for the eye to see someone like her with her long blonde hair.

I pushed myself back in my chair again, looking back at my computer screen, noticing that I didn't do anything with it at all. Since I started MSN, I didn't bother to start any other program since I was planning of going to school. But after the conversation with John, I decided not to go. I was completely strayed from my normal schedule. Even while planning everything, you can't always do what you want.

With a big yawn, I started a game.

<div align="center">---</div>

What? I had no reason to write this. I just felt like doing something.
There will be no sequal on this, nor will I ever do anything with it, since I just wrote something random. Though I usually write what pops in my head, I usually do give it a little time to think about it. This time, I didn't.

Anyway, hope you'll like it. It isn't very long, so if you feel like reading a bit.
Right.

Werbung:

Kem Rixen

Whoa, this is disturbingly similar to my life as of last year, recently I've become a very social person. Reading this is very odd from my perspective, it's so similar.

Rating:
Note: Scores add up to 25
Spelling and Grammer: 5/5
So, lets see, there are a few minor spelling errors, nothing important.

Concept: 8/10
An original idea, followed through quite well I might add. It is a neat idea, perhapes not the most fascinating, but interesting never the less.

Storytelling: 8/10
The story is told very well, you describe things quite well, the only thing taking away is character devlopment, which you had a small bit in; in a short story this is dificult. You have a very good attention to small details, "sitting in a green chair," etc.

Additional Comments:
A neat, original story, nearly perfect in my mind. A good example of how other topics than action and war can be explored.

Score: 21/25

What do you think of this rating system, I want one and this is my basic idea. Help me make it better.

Fladian

Whoa, this is disturbingly similar to my life as of last year, recently I've become a very social person. Reading this is very odd from my perspective, it's so similar.[/b]
In a way, I understand perfectly of what you meant. Like most people know, I've been a very shy and non-social person until 2 years ago. This story had no influence on it, nor anything to do with it. This just popped in my head, and I felt like writing.

Rating:
Note: Scores add up to 25
Spelling and Grammer: 5/5
So, lets see, there are a few minor spelling errors, nothing important.[/b]
If there are only a few minor spelling errors, then I even surprise myself :p I paid only half attention. For those who follow football/soccer, will know that the time I wrote it was during a match :p (Champions League) In other words, I expected an amount of mistakes.

Concept: 8/10
An original idea, followed through quite well I might add. It is a neat idea, perhapes not the most fascinating, but interesting never the less.[/b]
They're your words. It had no base story, it was just about a random guy waking up.

Storytelling: 8/10
The story is told very well, you describe things quite well, the only thing taking away is character devlopment, which you had a small bit in; in a short story this is dificult. You have a very good attention to small details, "sitting in a green chair," etc.[/b]
That's both my advantage, and my down fall. I tend to give too much details than necessary, and after a while it gets annoying because it starts to get long.

There is no character development. Though I usually aim on the character development itself, there just happens too little in a too little time to make any development at all. You could say that the entire story happened in perhaps five minutes of time, though it could have been half an hour or less than five minutes as well. I never mentioned the time he used for it - except that it took a long time for his computer to start.

Additional Comments:
A neat, original story, nearly perfect in my mind. A good example of how other topics than action and war can be explored.[/b]
Isn't it remarkable? Every time I am not satisfied with my stories, people tend to praise it :p The parts of 'If, and only if', I personally didn't like, were liked the most by the readers.

I've yet to read your other story, so I'm not sure how original this is, considering it is not using any necessary action or war. Like I said, it is a mere story of someone waking up.

Score: 21/25[/b]
I personally would give it a lower score. Probably because there was too little happening. I mean, the time during the story is short, and I didn't bother to increase it, so more could happen.
Though less events could be good, the story is just very dull because of the little events. Every story I write, I try to add some kind of feeling that makes you want to continue reading. That worked with 'If, and only if', because I kept ending the parts/posts with a cliffhanger and varied excitement with other things, but I could not use any of the previous' here... and just like you JetPack, I'm a bit rusty ;) I haven't writen in a while - and my English grammar has taken a giant step back because of a new interest.

What do you think of this rating system, I want one and this is my basic idea. Help me make it better.
[/b]
It is a good rating system, though you might want to add "enjoyment" to it, if you feel fit. At Wc3campaigns, Furry used 'Action' as one of them, I believe, I never liked that part of the rating system - especially since I was not basing all my stories on action, and they got a huge penalty because of that.

I personally dislike to use such a system - don't understand me wrong, it's a good way, but I am not used to use that - therefore I usually sum it up in words, like I did in the 'Old Stories' thread.

Arkidas

I had fun reading it but I don't like criticiting allot,
But I want to give back what you gave me.
The story was fun, The characters were interesting but it all happened in one room.

Fladian

Did you prefer there were more rooms in it? :p

Characters, you say? Didn't I only introduce one character properly? :p

(ugh, the blinking thing is annoying me like hell)

ragingspeedhorn

Great story, really enjoyed reading it. Could see some of myself in that boy (with the shyness), though ofc I have a godlike look :p

Id give this story a 3/5 because it was a tad to short, would have been great if you had wrote some more about that hot blonde he saw thru the window maybe? :D

Fladian

Apparently a lot of people can find them selves in the "shyness" of the guy I wrote about. I start to wonder that most people who visit forums are shy outside the internet :p I sure was :p

Short eh? -_- Normally people complain about the length of my stories (If, and only if) or my usual posts, but now people start complaining about it being short? :p Oh well...
'Laura', did I call her, if I remember right. I was thinking of writing another short story like this about her not long after I finished this, but I quickly gave up on it and I forgot about it. I still don't think I'll write about it :p

I'm working on two other stories at the moment. One of them will be slightly similar to this, though more aimed at another point than the waking up of someone.

ragingspeedhorn

Will these storys be something you post here or not (sure hope you will be posting them here as I did enjoy last one even though it was about something as simple as a guy waking up) ? =)

Fladian

I understand that all too well... a bit too well, for my liking :p

I stopped writing quite some time ago as well, though that was not because of homework, school, or any other problems. RSI was what stopped me, and because of my addiction to computers back then, I kept going, and kept going until my arm hurts too much to continue.
After doing all kind of stuff on the computer, writing for instance, with pain, it became a bit worse. A bit too bad, unfortunately, and the pain remained, even when I was not doing anything with the computer. Just making any move already hurts quite a lot.
I took a time off the computer and took some other things. The first story I wrote with 'passion' again, was If, and only if at Wc3c. Back then, it still hurted when I wrote too much, though at some times, that didn't stop me.

Nowadays, my arm is 100% again. It doesn't hurt after a full day of typing, it has no side effects, it makes no creepy sounds anymore either, so I'm pretty sure it's back to how it used to be, and I am all too happy about it.
But I'm rambeling.

ragingspeedhorn

Woaw, even though I spend atleast 10 hours at the computer each day in the 5 weekdays, I have never had any problems with my arm or anything like that. You really must have been using ALOT of time infront of the com to actually get damaged like that O_O

Werbung:

Fladian

Yeah. I used to wake up, jump in front of the computer, until I had to go to school. I took my bike to school, and most of the classes were in need of a computer, so...
About 80% of my normal day was in need of a computer.

Though it always had one good point, and I am still justly proud on it :D