ram stick....

Fiero

I got a good deal on a 512mb ddr ram stick. I now have duel 512mb. WTF does this do? I notice NO difference in my pc. Its already installed. I was hoped someone can tell me.

Werbung:

mYth

dual channel isn't really noticeable unless you're running a dual core proc, then the difference is substantial......now get on the train biznich! :lol:

Fiero

so adding an additional 512mb ram in my PC just sped it up a little bit??? what did it speed up? What does it effect?

inquiring minds want to know...

DeathCorpse

well running in dual channel changes your data rate from 64 to 128 i believe. its basically like putting 2 hard drives in raid 0 config. as for what does more ram do... well it gives you more memory to buffer data in. the more ram you have to more data you can buffer so your comp will spend less time fetching data from the hard drive ( which is infinately slower than ram) so more is better. do you even know what type of ram you got. i.e. is it the same exact specs as your other stick of ram. if it isnt you could have problems running it in dual channel config.

Fiero

duel channel config? he has the exact same pc as I do. He was carring it out to the trash can cause it got a virus and he litterally smashed it with a baseball bat.... I told him i wanted the ram out of it cause i have an open slot i can put it in. My pc only came with 1 512mb ddr sdram stick. He said for 5 bucks he would go get it out of the trash and hold on to it for me. So all i did was get the stick from him. Unplug my pc. "touch something unpainted and metal to discharge the static" put the ram in the slot and plugged in my pc and started it up. I went to control panel, system, and it reads 896 mb of ram.

Is there something I did wrong? I said duel sticks cause i have two now. I didnt know it may have meant something else.. Is there something on my PC i need to change cause i added RAM?

inquiring minds want to know....

System.jpg

MoneyShot

You do not have dual channel memory.

You have a socket 754 paris core AMD processor. It has a single channel on die memory controller.

I suggest buying a videocard, and if you have already bought a seperat"e gaming" card then to go into your system BIOS and disable your onboard graphic controller. It is eating 128 megabyte of your memory.

I suggest at this point to search google for some of the keywords I have posted.

Fiero

i went into my bios and i saw nothing about a graphics controler or chipset or anything that has to do with my grahics.... sould i be lookin for something specific? Below is what my pc came with when i purchased it.

Videocard.jpg

Werbung:

MoneyShot

nope you have a geforce 6100 on board. That is fine for playing CZ. If you are interested in source I would suggest an agp solution. There is usually some on board graphics ram adjustment, I would suggest leaving it be until you buy a gaming card.