Nothing Works!

Kem Rixen

Once again another story written in my extremely tired state, it comes from a conversation I had with my friend about how every product shipped will always have some malfunctioning units. It stemmed from a discussion of the broken Xbox 360's. There is a really neat thing I did throughout the story, an easter egg if you will, if someone can find it they'll get the Kem Rixen Award of Awesomeness. I'll give you a hint, it has something to do with the second line.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Beep beep,” said the Monkey. The dream was over, the man woke up, dazed and confused. He heard the sounds of the piano in the distance, wandering towards the window. Outside it was a cheerful day, people zipping by in the tubes to and fro. Charles Pentergast didn't have to get up this early but he enjoyed listening to some classical music before going to work, it relaxed him. The alarm went off; now it was time to go to work, he shut off the music and leaped out the window. Landing in one of the tubes he sped off towards work.

Suddenly he slowed down and the levitation stopped, the horizontal tube was no longer holding him in the center, he was on the flooring. In front and behind him he could hear complaints from other workers. In this bizarre scenario he decided that he might as well walk through the tube the rest of the way, or at least until the tube started working again. In the history of the existence of the tubes he had never heard of them malfunctioning, it was quite odd.

Charles reached work late, in comparison to his coworkers it could be considered fashionably late. Walking over to the coffee machine he suddenly discovered it to not be working, quite odd in this day and age he thought to himself. He looked over and saw lots of people talking, and few of them knew either why nothing was working. There were clusters around the television screens, yet none worked, the clusters wished that they could get some news on the electrical problems yet no news came.

One man in the cluster began yelling profanities at the television screen, demanding it work. Charles was quite frightened by this, people were usually so happy, nothing ever broke so why would there be reason for sadness. Soon many people started yelling, running around in circles, it was hypnotizing. Charles was almost swept into one of the clusters but managed to keep his distance. Then the violence began...

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

I'm gonna take a guess....and say that the second line is almost the same as the first few lines in your "Less Than Ordinary Life of Kem Rixen"
I think you should continue this story. It just doesn't end for me....
Good stuff anyways.

Kem Rixen

I'm gonna take a guess....and say that the second line is almost the same as the first few lines in your "Less Than Ordinary Life of Kem Rixen"
I think you should continue this story. It just doesn't end for me....
Good stuff anyways. [/b]
Wow, thats pretty neat I didn't even notice that, but that wasn't what I meant. You'll notice in nearly all stories I write that they begin with someone waking up, don't ask. This was really meant as a short story like this, I have no clue how to continue it as I don't remember writing it. I seem to write the best when I'm really tired but the problem is that I can never remember doing so. I think I ended it where I did because I wanted to go to sleep.

Fladian

Hmm... I just finished the short story.

Not very interesting, very little happened and because it was so short, it felt as if all focus went to the tubes. Though I'm happy I can now completely imagine how the tubes look like, they are not really the thing I should remember about the story :p

Honestly, it has many similarities to your old story, Kem. As a matter of fact, near the end, I was wondering what story I was reading.

Kem, it is very easily visible that you were tired when reading this. Some sentences made me return to read them. Though not only you are the blame of that, for some reason, I have been extremely tired lately. Maybe I just need a long good night sleep.

As for the "easter eggs", I didn't really pay attention to it. But nothing comes to mind.

Xeridanus

I got it! It's futurama, the theme song played at the start has piano in it and the thing with the tubes, it all makes sense now. :yay:

@Jessica, what is there to fill in about? it's just a short story wth no purpose other then to be enjoyed.

@Kem, you should try to continue this, it's just too short.

Undead_Lives

Wow, thats pretty neat I didn't even notice that, but that wasn't what I meant. You'll notice in nearly all stories I write that they begin with someone waking up, don't ask. This was really meant as a short story like this, I have no clue how to continue it as I don't remember writing it. I seem to write the best when I'm really tired but the problem is that I can never remember doing so. I think I ended it where I did because I wanted to go to sleep.
[/b]

I already asked him about the length, and this was his reply.
Please don't make people repeat themselves when you could just go up a bit in the topic and find your answer. (mainly aimed at you Xeridanus)

Kem Rixen

Not very interesting, very little happened and because it was so short, it felt as if all focus went to the tubes. Though I'm happy I can now completely imagine how the tubes look like, they are not really the thing I should remember about the story :p[/b]
Did I really focus that much on those stupid tubes?

Honestly, it has many similarities to your old story, Kem. As a matter of fact, near the end, I was wondering what story I was reading.[/b]
Looking over it again, once again very tired, I'm noticing quite a few similarities, also this story was supposed to be an action story. I really screwed it up.

Kem, it is very easily visible that you were tired when reading this. Some sentences made me return to read them. Though not only you are the blame of that, for some reason, I have been extremely tired lately. Maybe I just need a long good night sleep.[/b]
I'll try to fix it tomorrow when I'm awake, far to tired to attempt that now.

As for the "easter eggs", I didn't really pay attention to it. But nothing comes to mind. [/b]
Over-hyped by the marketing department, pay no head.

I got it! It's futurama, the theme song played at the start has piano in it and the thing with the tubes, it all makes sense now.[/b]
Hahahah, I really shouldn't have tried to put in a stupid easter egg, quick note, that isn't it either though that is pretty neat as I love Futurama. My writing is heavily influenced by George Orwell, Monty Python's Flying Circus (and movies), Terry Gilliam Movies, and most importantly music.

Fladian

Did I really focus that much on those stupid tubes?[/b]
No, but because it was so short, there was no time to focus on something else. The tubes were the only thing properly explained.

Looking over it again, once again very tired, I'm noticing quite a few similarities, also this story was supposed to be an action story. I really screwed it up.[/b]
Action? The only action I discovered was at the end: "And then the violence started" (or something like that) And such a hint is a bit too corny for my liking for an action story :p

Hahahah, I really shouldn't have tried to put in a stupid easter egg, quick note, that isn't it either though that is pretty neat as I love Futurama.
[/b]
That explains why it wouldn't ring a bell for me. I never watched Futurama on a regular basis, and I don't think it is still on TV here nowadays.

Morrowind1357

looks like we have a quoting battle going on up there. And let me guess, the second line of Xbox360s was all broken because some strange fellow decided to smash them all out of some ingeniously furious rage of death?
im all hyper, ive just decided to destroy some old action men i had when i was little.

Werbung:

Fladian

Morro, I always tend to quote a lot, otherwise, my posts become very chaotic and it is hard to see what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I often hear the fact that they find me hard to understand regardless of the quotes :p

When someone is "hyper" do you all intend to destroy something all of a sudden? :p