Is Nintendo backing itself into a corner with the Wii U?

First of all, I'm happy they decided to return to the ways that made them a household name in the first place by catering to the hardcore. Many felt alienated by them with the Wii. But with this Wii U comes an issue some might not realize. Iwata openly admitted the Wii U wouldn't be cheap. And that's understandable given the tech behind it. But the problem here is if it's priced too high and can only play games marginally better than the 360 or PS3 can, people may not buy into it. And it doesn't help that most of the games annouced are already available on the PS3 and 360. So they also have to convince enough people that these games are worth buying a second time at full price.

And the fact that Sony and Microsoft don't seem remotely worried about the Wii U is very worrisome if I'm Nintendo.

Werbung:

save27

Maybe they will come out with some amazing new games for kids, teens, and adults, and then it will be bought by everyone.

Dave1005

It doesn't seem like many people have faith in the WiiU, considering investors have been dropping out quite rapidly. Within 24 hours of announcing WiiU, Nintendo stock dropped 5%, and another 5% in the next 48. I think it's a great idea, but they are marketing it all wrong.

dudey405

The only reason that Nintendo isn't doing successful is because the majority of gamers are hardcore or core gamers. If you look at all three consoles, they each tried to take a different approach; Wii, Kinect, and Move. All of these aren't really successful, and so we aren't ready for that basic gameplay. What they should do is use those new systems they are creating, but make them for hardcore gamers.

ben123

It might seem that way. Like the wii, you don't hear much about it anymore compared to the xbox360 or ps3. The wii tried to make things different with more interaction that people got bored of after a while. I still think the best game is wii bowling for the wii. The same thing might happen to the wiiU

Saohc

The Wii was unfortunately a "causal" system.

Games like No More Heroes,Red Steel,TvC and a few ports from the PS2, are about all that's for the hardcore gamers.

Am I forgetting any other games?

And while the Wii U seems interesting, I think I'm done.

If the PS4 switches to motion-control, I'm out.

Controllers only.

Werbung:
The Wii was unfortunately a "causal" system.

Games like No More Heroes,Red Steel,TvC and a few ports from the PS2, are about all that's for the hardcore gamers.

Am I forgetting any other games?

And while the Wii U seems interesting, I think I'm done.

If the PS4 switches to motion-control, I'm out.

Controllers only.

Yeah, I'm with you on this, I WANT controllers