DotA - your opinions

MeTaL GuArD

Even though i know there are quite a few people against DotA on the site i felt it can't just be ignored. Post your opinions about the map, and if you play it, your favorite playstyle and heroes.

I was dragged into DotA more deeply around 2-3 years ago by the now-chieftain of Clan PCG and my friend in one. I recall i started to play it daily when version 6.40 was around. I still play it ever since at least once a day.

My favorite playstyle: I love to go for herokilling and secondary as a support to the team. I don't like to play heroes that require "rice farming" for over 30 minutes to become any good, but i like heroes that aren't exactly item dependant and can help out the team anytime.

Favorite hero: Probably noone gets surprised, but it's Pudge. Amazing herokiller that brings you prestige in a game if you can aim and play well(and flames from people who die to you), and a good tank that can help the team in tough situations. Hook is one of the hardest skills to master in DotA(aside from Mirana's Arrow. Fact: you can't aim Arrow properly if you mastered hook and vice versa; Maybe a few people can but i don't know anyone who did), and thus i love it the most.

Werbung:

Mavus

Great to see 2-3 years later they've only added +0.16, to be honest it should still be 1.?? because no new fundamental systems have been added to play since it was first designed. At any rate, I'm both for and against DotA. I hate it with a passion but love to play it under certain circumstances. (For no real apparent reason, just a DotA moment).

I have no preferences of hero, I prefer agility/stealth and always go for butterfly after a power tread.

MeTaL GuArD

This is pretty interesting. In fact, i also have moments when i just hate DotA with pure anger(when i recall the playing "level" of people in public games and even league or when the team plays like they see the map for the first time in their life...), though after moments of anger i tend to return to play just to pull off another nice hook on someone(and saving the replay for the Pudge video i am planning to make). Funny thing by the way - in public games i am usually squished into a carry role (scoring 20-1 most of the time in those) - getting more ridiculous when i outdamage the strongest carry hero on the enemy side...

To be honest, Pudge is the only reason why i didn't give up DotA.

MeTaL GuArD

To be honest, i absolutely hate Rikimaru. Wasn't a time for me to perform other than horribly with him. Needs to farm gold and reliable teammates to be any good. All my mates share this opinion. And pudge IS one of the most difficult heroes. You can call him cheap in pubs, but try to play him in any higher level games and you will understand.

Mavus

I've never enjoyed DotA enough to want to enter one of those stupid tournaments. God damnit it's pathetic, me and all my friends play a game... lets see how many non-dota games pop up on the first page.

zugzug15

DotA is one of the best balanced, playable maps out there. I play an AI version for practice, and go on line with it only once in a while. It can be frustrating without dependable teamates. There is something for everyone. My favorite hero is the Dwarven Sniper; because I'm a coward, and handicapped.

MeTaL GuArD

Indeed, cowardice is what always resembled Sniper for me, which made my pudge hooks on that hero "honor kills", since i hate people that are afraid to take the risks. And i also don't like to play with random people since i know i can't count on them most of the time, hence the fact that i team up with clanmates for a pub bash once in a while.

Dark_Spyro_003

Dota Opinion - Unabel to learn to play [long message]

Honestly, I have -NEVER- been able to even TRY the game.
These people only allow pros, only allow non-dl, noone even wants to tell me where it is...
And there are never games hosted for new people...
So how do you get better?
Because if your not good enough and you join any dota game (because they are all pro-only) then you simply get a ban in the game.
It is impossible to start playing this game.
So all I can say about it is: the people who host it and play it are horrible people.

-Dark_Spyro_003

MeTaL GuArD

I only allow in people that honestly tell me that they're beginners, and that they want to learn. I even got a friend that learned alot of DotA from me cause i met him in a 1v1 that i've hosted for fun. He's still not great but already has some good moves. And i probably wouldn't get into DotA either if i wouldn't be introduced by my friend/clan chieftain/a very good DotA player Muga_Riptide. Though the times when he was tolerant for beginners are long gone(except for said mate).

I am certainly not tolerant for people who flame if you suggest them something/people who purposefully ruin a game by bad playing(and i assume a person does that when it didn't say anything entire game). But they aren't beginners, they are pretty much noobs, so it's a different matter alltogether.

And there are never games hosted for new people...
So how do you get better?

Most of the time the games that are now hosted on battle.net are almost completely filled with bad players(my point of view is probably distorted due to my experience with the map), and those so-called pubs should be a decent starting point. You could eventually ask me to host, that would probably work too. I also remember that i've been spending some time reading strategies posted up on the DotA forums (forums.dota-allstars.com) but that is time eating.

MeTaL GuArD

My attitude ain't too good either i think. I tend to take great care on details, and if someone does something wrong and i know he can do better, the person will be punished by me through direct pointing out of all the mistakes. Gets annoying after a while because it's uncontrollable for me.

Cokemonkey11

The map is one of the poorest done in terms of balancing i've played. But updates are released often and I know icefrog is working on balancing as much as possible (ive spoken with him a few times)

other than that I have no problems with it.

The items are boring as well.

MeTaL GuArD

I know how hard it is to balance a game with so many heroes since EWA(working on it) has 50 heroes, and i already see 10 of them need redesigning in terms of skill sets... The worst thing is that i can't bother.

As to the balance of DotA itself, i can't tell really. My point of view is, that it is unbalanced with certain hero lineups, not single heroes or items(though dirge's stat gains are a little cheap IMO).

Werbung:

Cokemonkey11

the most important thing that jumps out me (as far as I can tell) is that intelligence based heroes don't have linear spells, and as a result they're generally weak late game.

Play EotA and you will see how spells in AoS's should be. With each spell having a relation to the hero's stats.

In terms of EWA. You should have started open-beta testing it when you hit 11 heroes. Send me that shit so I can play something with my friends (private only if you prefer).

You can always protect it so what have you to lose?